Proposal: Do the Jets want Spezza?

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Sens fan coming in peace. I see all sorts of talk of trading Spezza everywhere and Winnipeg seems like the number 1 landing spot every time. Now he will generate a great amount of offense and he's fantastic on the power play, especially with his incredible slap shot, but he's defensively middle-of-the-pack among centres and his back is still ailing him.

Before the proposals get any bigger, I was just wondering whether you felt Spezza would fill a need for Winnipeg, and whether a deal of possibly Spezza or even Spezza + Anderson could be worked out.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Sens fan coming in peace. I see all sorts of talk of trading Spezza everywhere and Winnipeg seems like the number 1 landing spot every time. Now he will generate a great amount of offense and he's fantastic on the power play, especially with his incredible slap shot, but he's defensively middle-of-the-pack among centres and his back is still ailing him.

Before the proposals get any bigger, I was just wondering whether you felt Spezza would fill a need for Winnipeg, and whether a deal of possibly Spezza or even Spezza + Anderson could be worked out.

He's fantastic on the power play? OK ... that could be said to count as a "need" here ... go on ...

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
I think the Jets would be interested, but it would be would be a sidegrade at best because the pieces needed to get him would weaken the Jets in another area and it isn't like the Jets have the prospects to get someone like Jason Spezza. Ottawa would want roster players back anyways. There's also the issue of Spezza even sticking around in Winnipeg after his contract ends.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
1 year left after this 7m cap hit 4m salary. NTC. He'd have to wave and some serious salary would have to go the other way. He's a bargain at 4m salary. Isn't Melnyck still cash strapped? Not sure there's a deal here.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
No. The Jets are not a Spezza away from winning a cup within 2 years.
All that would happen is the Jets would lose quality assets, most likely lose Spezza, and then be in an even worse place in 2 years.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm sure it would take something like a 1st, good roster player, and a good prospect to get him. You also have to consider the cap hit. I just don't see us paying that, but it would be fantastic to have Spezza.

Aela*

Absolutely we need a Spezza. Someone who can come into our lineup as a #1C and put up a PPG is exactly what we need.

Spezza specifically however is a different story due to his contract.

His value to us goes down significantly because of that.

Absolutely I want him, but we would have to deal from a position of strength in order to justify giving up the pieces to get him.

That means our RHD, our LW (we have 3 players who can play top 6 LW atm - LLK) and possibly prospects/draft picks.

Ladd + Buff for Spezza + Anderson for example.

Of course, I'm a fan of Spezza, think he'll re-sign here, and don't mind trading some of our core away for good pieces. You likely won't find much agreement from other Jets fans.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'd do Buff for Spezza straight up but Ottawa would probably want something different.

Anything more than that and the Jets are worse off - they don't have the depth to trade a bunch of key pieces. They arguably have 4 top-6 forwards (with Scheifele on the cusp soon and an hm to Seto), nothing great on LHD behind Enstrom and one of the worst starting goalies in the league. They also have a respectable (if unspectacular) group of prospects and a glut of NHL ready RHD. I see only one of those areas as being wise to trade from.

Spezza would immediately change the complexion of this team if we got him, but if the price was more than Buff it'd hurt us long and/or short term. Otherwise, I have faith in Chevy's ability to build this team over time: his draft record has been great and even the trades he's made have been good (ex. Oduya, Frolik, Setoguchi, etc.). I'd gladly stay the course.

And I'll add for good measure: I don't think Byfuglien is worth as much as Spezza in purely hypothetical value or that Ottawa needs Byfuglien.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
The Jets have some pretty bad defensive zone breakdowns, and Spezza is known to lack consistency in his own end. Not that I wouldn't take Spezza on the Jets, but I can't see an agreement made between the Sens and Jets that would satisfy the needs of Winnipeg.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
The Jets have some pretty bad defensive zone breakdowns, and Spezza is known to lack consistency in his own end. Not that I wouldn't take Spezza on the Jets, but I can't see an agreement made between the Sens and Jets that would satisfy the needs of Winnipeg.

Free Pizzas and Free Spezzas

A match made in heaven :win:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Absolutely we need a Spezza. Someone who can come into our lineup as a #1C and put up a PPG is exactly what we need.

Spezza specifically however is a different story due to his contract.

His value to us goes down significantly because of that.

Absolutely I want him, but we would have to deal from a position of strength in order to justify giving up the pieces to get him.

That means our RHD, our LW (we have 3 players who can play top 6 LW atm - LLK) and possibly prospects/draft picks.

Ladd + Buff for Spezza + Anderson for example.

Of course, I'm a fan of Spezza, think he'll re-sign here, and don't mind trading some of our core away for good pieces. You likely won't find much agreement from other Jets fans.

Just wondering about what a number 1 centre is ?

Little is tied for 3rd in goals in the league by a centre. Is that not good enough
for a number 1 centre?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Spezza? No thanks. The Jets don't need short-term solutions. They need to prepare a core for a long stretch in contention. Spezza is an expensive stop-gap that would cost too much in assets. If they move someone like Buff they need to fill their younger core with top young players and/or prospects.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Do they want him? Probably. I am sure most teams would want him.
But with his contract status, and what it would take to get him. I think the Jets won't make a deal.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Dont think the assets Winnipeg could give up would be enough for Ottawa to trade him to us.

I would rather a deal around Zibanejad and Cowen.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Every trade rumour the jets have with Ottawa is thrilling, because I think many of the Sens are fantastic. That said, Spezza's age does not seem to work with our team right now. If you want to deal Cowan or Zibby, I am all ears...

Aela*

Just wondering about what a number 1 centre is ?

Little is tied for 3rd in goals in the league by a centre. Is that not good enough
for a number 1 centre?

Up until this year, Little has never scored at more than a .70 ppg pace, not to mention he's never had more than 60 points, and has only hit 50+ once. He is a very good defensive center, but that makes him a clear cut #2. A #1 center has to be able to put up a lot of points consistently (eg Stamkos) or put up at least a pretty good amount of points and play very well defensively (eg Kopitar). Little's defensive ability might be on par with Kopitars, but his offense sure isn't.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well...

Looking at last 3 seasons (2010-13) and last 2 seasons (2011-13), for both PP and 5v5, Little tends to sit in the 120-150 section for points per minute.

Then keep in mind some of the guys above Little are no longer in the NHL (as you have 3 seasons for guys to retire after) or are guys who score lots but only in limited roles/minutes (ex: Torres or Stapleton)...

Yes, Little tends to score on a purely offensive rate of an very elite 2nd line player.

However, looking at shot metrics for overall play, Little is in the top 90 of "true 1st liners" for out-chancing and puck possession.

@Aela Kopitar is very underrated offensively... of the 300+ players to play major minutes over the last 3 seasons, Kopitar is actually 21st in points per minute for even strength and 45th in the power play... if only LAK could figure out a power play...

Aela*

@Aela Kopitar is very underrated offensively... of the 300+ players to play major minutes over the last 3 seasons, Kopitar is actually 21st in points per minute for even strength and 45th in the power play... if only LAK could figure out a power play...

I agree, he just doesn't have the point totals to back that up.

robbza

Oct 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I think the idea of the Jets getting Spezza would go against Chevy's plans, he seems to want to build towards a cup not trade away prospects and picks for a player who may help us get to playoffs but then probably leave resulting in us being in a worse long term situation. Despite Noel probably wanting players like Spezza i dont think it is part of the long term plan.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd love llove love our team with Spezza on it...But long term it doesn't make a whole ton of sense. Ottawa would be ducking nuts to trade him. Turris finally breaking out gives them a sick 1-2 center combo...Basically the most necessary step to being a true Cup contender. Murray is a great GM he knows this.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Spezza would help us allot now but not enough to make the ultimate difference so my thoughts are assuming we have to pay market price for him asset wise it probably doesn't fit out plans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->