Do the Flyers win in 76 with a healthy Parent?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You know your stuff & fights Rhiessan. To save others looking it up, that was the night Larry Robinson pretty much put an end to the over-inflated scary monster reputation of one Dave The Hammer Schultz.... absolutely cleaned his clock.

I seen that bench clearing brawl on youtube other day

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Didn't a young Clark Gillies fill him in too around that time? Maybe in '75?

Yes indeedy. January 9th, 1975 according to fight-sites-r-us type dealeos', youtube n' whatnot. Apparently the video of that one long lost... like the Holy Grail of hockey fights amongst fans of such & rediscovered, buried under Glastonbury Chapel, Eddie Shores head stone or wherever.... Apparently Gillies annihilated Schultz not just once but also a second time when The Hammer came at him again after trying to right his earlier loss.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I need to write this statement carefully.Guy Lafleurs life and family was in danger throughout playoffs.His family was sent to a hotel guarded by police.He was guarded by under cover police.Lafleur also carried a gun in his car.The group who wanted him kidnapped were later found and arrested.Thats pressure gentlemen and ladies.Thats how big Guy Lafleur is in Quebec

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I need to write this statement carefully.Guy Lafleurs life and family was in danger throughout playoffs.His family was sent to a hotel guarded by police.He was guarded by under cover police.Lafleur also carried a gun in his car.The group who wanted him kidnapped were later found and arrested.Thats pressure gentlemen and ladies.Thats how big Guy Lafleur is in Quebec

Say what now thom?... first Ive heard of this. Are you saying crazed fans or criminals in Philadelphia threatened Lafleur in 1976 or was this in Quebec? Sort of like the extortion & threats visited upon several Russian players in the late 80's & early 90's by Gangsters in the former Soviet Union. Pay-up or your family in Moscow "might have an accident" or whatever.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Thanks for responding its been mentioned in newspapers books in canada its a very well known story.It was front page in all french newspapers at the time.In book about Guy Lafleur called overtime theres a lot of gossip on it.Also a best seller book called Lions in winter published in 1986 theres chapters on the subject.Its a great intersting and scary story for the Lafleur family

thom

Mar 6, 2012
The group was from Quebec who were involved in major thefts and Kidnapping rings.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
The best selling book Lions in winter published in 1986.Im not very computer liitterate so I dont know how to bring it on this site.But Journal de Montreal le dovoir and other newspapers it was front page news in the weeks after they won cup.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
I have the book and can confirm it's true. Guy, his wife Lise, and Jean Beliveau (who was the team's go-between to the cops) are all quoted on it.

Lions in Winter is definitely the best book going on the Habs. Well worth a search on Amazon for an old copy for your hockey collection.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I remember hearing rumors about it years ago, havent read that book (Lions in Winter)... Thanks Beefster. :thumbu:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I've been through this argument a number of times, but I maintain that the Flyers could have gotten Dwayne Roloson and didn't pull the trigger, and made it look worse when they sniffed around other goaltenders, and traded Ryan Parent for the rights to Dan Hamhuis, and were lucky to get a draft pick for him. The rumor was 2nd round pick, we had Ryan Parent and a 3rd to give. Leighton was playing well, but the Flyers needed the insurance because that season was Cup or bust despite struggling to make the playoffs (and before that comment starts a war, just look at the turmoil the franchise has been through since then). They dispatched the Devils, but I don't think they would have gotten so far behind the Bruins. Alas, that series did turn out to be one of our golden moments as a franchise, but its still a consolation prize.
You're bleeding together offseasons. Hamhuis went around Pennsylvania in the summer of 2010, Roloson's rights were only available in 2009. They could have picked him up at the 2011 deadline (and probably 2010 as well, IIRC he'd been on the block for a minute when he finally was moved), but went in on Versteeg instead to upgrade Nodl's spot next to Richards. Also, would they have had the cap space to make that move back in 09? I remember them being really, really close to the ceiling for pretty much all of 09-10.

I think it was the difference because it's not like Blackhawks boat raced the Flyers. The Flyers were rolling 4 defensemen in front of a replacement-level goaltender and found themselves in overtime of Game 6. They scored at least 3 goals in 5 of the 6 games, and lost 4 of them. In any other year, with a goaltender who is above replacement-level, that gets the job done.
The Flyers really didn't have an answer for Chicago splitting their top line from the last two series across their entire top nine, and got next to nothing from Richards/Carter. I don't think it changes all that much.

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
With a healthy Parent and MacLeish I think you would have seen a series very similar to the 1973 Semi-finals between Montreal and Philly. The Flyers would play their hearts out and keep it close - but lose in about 5 games.

Montreal was simply far and away the better team and they proved to Philly in September 1975 that they were also tougher. The Flyers simply had no way to be successful against that Montreal team.

Craig Wallace

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You're bleeding together offseasons. Hamhuis went around Pennsylvania in the summer of 2010, Roloson's rights were only available in 2009. They could have picked him up at the 2011 deadline (and probably 2010 as well, IIRC he'd been on the block for a minute when he finally was moved), but went in on Versteeg instead to upgrade Nodl's spot next to Richards. Also, would they have had the cap space to make that move back in 09? I remember them being really, really close to the ceiling for pretty much all of 09-10.

Sorry, the Flyers upset so much ****, it's hard to keep track of all the stupid things they were trying to do.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Sorry, the Flyers upset so much ****, it's hard to keep track of all the stupid things they were trying to do.
It's fine, I just wanted to make sure I had things straight.

Versteeg over Roloson was ****ing stupid in its own right, even with Pronger barely playing those playoffs. The Lightning pushed the Bruins to seven with a checking line anchored by Dominic Moore and with Eric Brewer as their best defenseman in large part because of Roloson's heroics, but didn't have the depth to survive Sean Bergenheim going down. The Flyers had a much better defense and much better depth at forward, and didn't have a ton of issues scoring against the Bruins.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's fine, I just wanted to make sure I had things straight.

Versteeg over Roloson was ****ing stupid in its own right, even with Pronger barely playing those playoffs. The Lightning pushed the Bruins to seven with a checking line anchored by Dominic Moore and with Eric Brewer as their best defenseman in large part because of Roloson's heroics, but didn't have the depth to survive Sean Bergenheim going down. The Flyers had a much better defense and much better depth at forward, and didn't have a ton of issues scoring against the Bruins.

And then they traded Versteeg immediately, in the end paying a first round pick for 38 games while he played through a sports hernia :facepalm:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I can remember when the Lafleur kidnap thing was rumoured. Heard them talking about it on Hockey Night in Canada broadcast back then.

Yeah it has slipped my mind I guess. I just never remember it. Although I can believe it for sure. Ted Lindsay received death threats from Toronto fans around 1956.

Wizeman*

The 1976 finals were a sweep

Game 1 May 9 Philadelphia Flyers 3 Montreal Canadiens 4
Game 2 May 11 Philadelphia Flyers 1 Montreal Canadiens 2
Game 3 May 13 Montreal Canadiens 3 Philadelphia Flyers 2
Game 4 May 16 Montreal Canadiens 5 Philadelphia Flyers 3

It's possible that Parent helps the Flyers win more games, but somewhat high scoring 1970s, you aren't going to win many games scoring only 1 or 2 goals.

this was the first playoff series I ever watched. The reason why it was so close is because the Canadiens were still unsure of themselves as a group.

Supreme King

Aug 24, 2011
Parts Unknown
To answer the original question, NO! Even with a healthy Bernie Parent, the Flyers do not beat Montreal and three-preat in 1976.

That was a superb Montreal team that was just starting a dynasty and was one of the greatest teams ever assembled (we can argue which Montreal team was the second best team of that dynasty, the '76 or 78 team with '77 being the greatest).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->