Do the Flyers make the playoffs next year - poll

Do the Flyers make the playoffs next season?

• Total voters

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean sure, if Giroux or Couturier suffer a season ending injury without anyone else stepping up or Hart plays like Michael Leighton, we're ****ed.
Let's just hope we won't have to make those kind of excuses because that would be terrible short term and long term.
Of course. I'm not worried about it, but even if it happens, it's still possible they make the playoffs. I'm a big believer in most of this roster and I voted "definitely" in the poll.

I'm just saying there are slim possibilities where they miss without the fault being on the core.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree that missing the playoffs will result in major changes.

Id expect Voracek or JVR and possibly Ghost (depending on how his season goes) to be moved in an attempt to change the core.

I dont see them missing though. In fact I think they finish 1st or 2nd in the Metro, so none of that concerns me.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that missing the playoffs will result in major changes.

Id expect Voracek or JVR and possibly Ghost (depending on how his season goes) to be moved in an attempt to change the core.

I dont see them missing though. In fact I think they finish 1st or 2nd in the Metro, so none of that concerns me.
So you’d expect Fletcher to be stupid?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I can't imagine grinding through all the work required in the offseasons and truly giving it 100% knowing you are coming back in the fall to play for Hak.

Beyond that, as much as I loved Hex it doesn't sound like he created a great work space.

Hopefully the renewed optimism of a fresh slate for the players with the GM and coach means guys are having great off seasons and come into the fall fully ready to go.

A lot of times we look past the human element of these players and discount how much it would affect our performance if we went to work at a place we didn't like with a boss we hated.

Reactions: joez86

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sometimes good players get traded and it doesnt make the team worse. But im not going to get into a debate over hypothetical trades from the future, that I dont even expect to happen.

I'm just saying, you seem to have a lower opinion of Fletcher than anyone else if that's what you'd expect him to do. ;)

I have more faith in him than that.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This team has the potential to just be so damn dangerous. I think, at baseline, they're just a solid middle-of-the-pack playoff team, but with good health, a good camp, and a couple guys taking steps forward this is a team that could win the division or the conference.

It'll depend on how quickly they can unlearn all of the Hakstol era bullshit, but since there wasn't much of a system in place at all that might not be too hard.

I haven't been this excited for a season in a long time.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This team has the potential to just be so damn dangerous. I think, at baseline, they're just a solid middle-of-the-pack team, but with good health, a good camp, and a couple guys taking steps forward this is a team that could win the division or the conference.

It'll depend on how quickly they can unlearn all of the Hakstol era bull****, but since there wasn't much of a system in place at all that might not be too hard.

I haven't been this excited for a season in a long time.

:laugh:

It's true, Gordon does serve as a cleanser in that regard. He performed a collective memory wipe.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Metro is there for the taking. It is a wide open division. There are no guarantees, but I like there chances to get a top 4 seed

They need to aim for top 3 because the Atlantic is going to be tough this year and finishing 4th in the Metro won't guarantee a playoff spot.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
I put definitely. I see it as Washington as the top seed in the metro, followed by our friendly neighbourhood Flyers. I don’t believe the Canes and Isles can duplicate their success of last season. The Pens are in a decline, and Columbus lost a lot of major players. The Devils and Rangers both really improved with trades for defenceman and incoming high draft picks. Honestly, 3 through 8 could really be any order of the rest.

Reactions: Rebels57

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
yep, heard alot of the same predictions, last summer.

That’s the thing.

I’m excited, but I think a big part of this fanbase needs actual proof. More than anything I want growth. It can’t just be Giroux/Coots/Jake/Hart carrying these guys to a playoff round.

I’m excited by these kids, but there needs to be a real step this year.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I put definitely. I see it as Washington as the top seed in the metro, followed by our friendly neighbourhood Flyers. I don’t believe the Canes and Isles can duplicate their success of last season. The Pens are in a decline, and Columbus lost a lot of major players. The Devils and Rangers both really improved with trades for defenceman and incoming high draft picks. Honestly, 3 through 8 could really be any order of the rest.

I can see Carolina playing well again. I think top 3 in Metro will be Wash, Philly, Carolina in some order.

Isles take a step back and miss
Devils will be in wild card mix.
Pens also in wild card mix.
Jackets take a step back and miss.
Rangers improve but miss.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Team had 98 points two years ago.
Last year the goalies imploded, same thing happened in St Louis, and they had the same record around January 1, we brought up Hart, they brought up Binnington.
St Louis had a more experienced and deeper team, but Berube >>>> Gordon.

What's is likely is if the team struggles the first half, AV will sit down with Fletcher and decide who isn't buying into the new regime's demands and move them out well before the TDL - less a matter of talent than realigning team chemistry. AV wasn't brought in to pamper fan favorites - he's got the resume that it will be "his way or the highway."

My suspicion is that the players will get the message loud and clear by the end of TC, and while there may be a benching here or there (and some closed door shouting), the team will be on the same page by December.

AV demands defensive responsibility and two way play, I think if someone is thrown off the island it will be because they refuse to get with the new program and insist on doing things the way they always have done.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Iunno. Maybe, maybe not. Have the talent to. Rest of the division got better, particularly the bottom of it. Top of it is still as competitive as ever (Islanders are slightly worse, Pens/Caps are older), bottom of it got a lot more competitive between NY and NJ having the best off-seasons in the division and Carolina doing what they did last year while still having a lot of youth to build on.

Only team that doesn’t fall into one of those two categories, a top team that didn’t change much or a bottom team that significantly improved, is Columbus. They’re significantly worse. So, I’ll say probably not if I’m forced to go one or the other.

As is, over half the league makes the playoffs. So making them should be a standard expectation for every non rebuilding team, not really a source of debate. For me, the question should be can we win a Cup or will we do anything other than spin our wheels long-term? My answer is a more confident no there. I could see Hart going on a crazy run maybe if we made the playoffs. Other than that, out in the first two rounds.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Like you pointed out, getting their doors blown off by a Swiss team didn't stop the Rangers from being a rather successful playoff team.

that team was already a highly competitive team. If the Leafs lost to Lusanne, its not a big deal because everyone knows the leafs are a playoff team. Meanwhile the flyers are a team that hasn't played well in the preseason, went through a huge change this offseason and this season feels like an attempt by fletcher to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
that team was already a highly competitive team. If the Leafs lost to Lusanne, its not a big deal because everyone knows the leafs are a playoff team. Meanwhile the flyers are a team that hasn't played well in the preseason, went through a huge change this offseason and this season feels like an attempt by fletcher to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs.

So how does that mean they won't make the playoffs? You're being quite dramatic here.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So how does that mean they won't make the playoffs? You're being quite dramatic here.

Confidence. It comes down to confidence. The Leafs have a history of success to draw upon for their confidence had they lost this game. The flyers do not. A loss like this further raises the question mark , can this team win with this group of players. This is literally one of the most embarrassing loses in flyers history and some of you are just brushing this off like its nothing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Confidence. It comes down to confidence. The Leafs have a history of success to draw upon for their confidence had they lost this game. The flyers do not. A loss like this further raises the question mark , can this team win with this group of players. This is literally one of the most embarrassing loses in flyers history and some of you are just brushing this off like its nothing.

Wait what did you say in the bolded? Did you really say that? They have a history of disappointment and underwhelming.

Now you're implying that their confidence will be shattered. That's really ridiculous. They'll shrug it off and move on like normal pro players.

This isn't the most embarrassing loss in Flyers history. Hakstol's two playoff series were filled with worse games. This will be forgotten in no time at all, just as New York's loss is all but forgotten except by hockey nerds.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Wait what did you say in the bolded? Did you really say that? They have a history of disappointment and underwhelming.

Now you're implying that their confidence will be shattered. That's really ridiculous. They'll shrug it off and move on like normal pro players.

This isn't the most embarrassing loss in Flyers history. Hakstol's two playoff series were filled with worse games. This will be forgotten in no time at all, just as New York's loss is all but forgotten except by hockey nerds.

The Leafs took what could've been the best team in the league last year to a game 7. Its not their fault the playoff format is extremely disadvantageous to the Atlantic. Nothing from the Rangers or Pens series is as embarassing as losing to a a team that is considered average in what is the 6th best league in the world. https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-best-ice-hockey-leagues/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad