Speculation: Do the Ducks trade Vatrano at this year's deadline?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
His line, for the most part, has been LW with McTavish (C) and Strome (RW). It's the second line behind the Zegras or Carlsson line (which ever one isn't injured). Mac was really driving that line early but he hasn't looked as good since the injury and might be feeling it in his back still.

He plays on the "power play" 2 unit. I think that unit is Vatrano, Fowler, Silfverberg, Henrique, Strome? He also plays on the PK and I think he has a few short handed points?
He's also second on the team in forwards with powerplay minutes. He's not just getting second powerplay unit minutes. Obviously a lot of that has to do with injuries, but he's gotten opportunity.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I thought he was someone that Vancouver should look into and hope to swap out Kuzmenko with.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
2 playoff runs + season

For an ideal middle 6 forward… that scores, kills penalties and plays with an edge.

Could def see him getting a 1st + solid piece, specially with potential retention and cap dumps
Definitely think a 1st with an addition is reasonable but I don't think it would be anywhere near another 1st like the Hagel deal, not to mention Raddysh who while nothing exciting had some upside and value

EDIT: I'd guess for Vatrano @50 it's something around 1st + 2nd and maybe Anaheim adds a late pick

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He's also second on the team in forwards with powerplay minutes. He's not just getting second powerplay unit minutes. Obviously a lot of that has to do with injuries, but he's gotten opportunity.
For some reason that second unit often gets more time than the first... even with injuries, I don't think he's played many (if any) games with McTavish/Carlsson/Zegras/Terry/Minty power play unit. Ducks have one of, if not the, worst power play coaches in the league (hopefully Cronin gets to hire a new one this summer, Brown is a holdover from the old regime).

And he's 7th in PP toi per game on the team, 6th among forwards. He's just under 2.5 minutes, which would probably put him right around PP2 minutes on any team and if a team has that many players better than Vatrano that he can't even use him on PP2, they shouldn't be spending assets on him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I thought he was someone that Vancouver should look into and hope to swap out Kuzmenko with.
That thought has crossed my mind and been floating around the Ducks board as well. I could see it but I really don't think Kuzmenko personifies what Verbeek wants his roster to look like. It seems like he's trying to build a higher effort/difficult to play against type culture.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Vatrano can perform in the playoffs, he's fast and agitating and not easy to play against with his tendency to finish his checks. My biggest criticism would be that he gets undisciplined at times. That said he has been scoring for every team he's played for, as for the Ducks it's usually alongside pretty mediocre linemates.

With 50% retention he could put a team over the edge twice, with him on the 3rd line producing an additional 5 goals or so compared to your average 3rd liner in about 20 playoff games, and to me that's a pretty safe bet.

A 1st rounder from a team picking #28-32? Not enough, but if it was a more mediocre playoff team, perhaps that alone is enough. Ducks should be more intrested in winger prospects over late 1sts.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
He's not going to be worth extending for the Ducks. The only question is how much the extra year of Vatrano is worth to them vs what they can get now.

Another question is would they be better off trading Vatrano and Henrique together, or separately? One excellent return might be better than two decent ones.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
When Vatrano's current contract is up he'll be 31. So for the Ducks, or some other team that might trade for him, what kind of contract term would you be looking at on an extension? I like him as a player, but as a general proposition thinking about 8 year contracts starts getting dicey past 27 or 28 years of age. Would he extend for 4 or 5 years?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Vatrano is currently having the best season of his career, putting up top 6 numbers while also killing penalties and being a physical presence. He has 2 years left, but do the Ducks take advantage of his good season and try to get a big return? What's more, he only make 3 million/yr PLUS Anaheim has flexibility to retain, so that will up his value further.

I know one could make the argument that they need vets to support their young players, but this feels like a good opportunity for them to sell high.
to answer OP ?
If moderate or better overpayment, then yes
otherwise no

Ducks need Ws.
Should not give up a good one cheap

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
to answer OP ?
If moderate or better overpayment, then yes
otherwise no

Ducks need Ws.
Should not give up a good one cheap
Finally, something I can agree with you on, Bern. Definitely, should be available at the right price. Could possibly get a good rebuilding piece or two for him.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I dont think we should extend him, but I also don’t think we trade him this season. We need to start cultivating a winning culture, and moving him now just for more futures that may make an impact down the line just doesn’t seem like a great idea. Trade him once he’s on the last year of his contract, like Henrique.

Reactions: Rec T and lwvs84

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Vatrano is 7th on the team in PP TOI/G for forwards. He’s 2nd in total PPTOI because every single top 6 forward on the team has missed significant time due to injury.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I dont think we should extend him, but I also don’t think we trade him this season. We need to start cultivating a winning culture, and moving him now just for more futures that may make an impact down the line just doesn’t seem like a great idea. Trade him once he’s on the last year of his contract, like Henrique.

Of course you then run the risk that he doesn't have nearly as good a season next year, and instead of selling high you might end up in a situation where you might be scrounging for a late pick. Or even worse, if he's injured you get nothing.

To a rebuilding team an extra year of Vatrano is not worthless, but if the right prospect/pick came along this year you have to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad