Do the Calgary Flames make the playoffs in the 2018-19 season?

Do the Flames make it in to the playoffs (18-19)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'll say no just because the wild card race in the West will be absolutely bonkers.

While that's true, Flames were in the thick of things last season despite having a below average PDO level and horrible special teams. Flames had unsustainably bad luck 5on5 last season, and they improved their forward depth tremendously.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Greatest group of defensemen ever assembled, just like the last 6 years in a row!

No one can stop these guys.
Must suck to have nothing original to say. Keep living in the past, champ.

I might be biased but yes, I think the Flames find a way to make the playoffs. The WC race will be nuts but there's no reason to think they can't be one of the two left standing when it's all said and done. I think they could even challenge for one of the Pacific spots personally.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
They finished at 83 and 84pts. They were 37-36 and 36-35.
I think Aho, TT and Skinner are pretty good players. Slavin and Pesce are very solid Dmen.
So you're saying Neal and Smith are going to single handedly change the team.
They won't go through a Guluztan slide, but it doesn't seem to be much difference.

Aho is good, but Gaudreau is still in a different league. TT had a career year and while it's sustainable, you get my pont. Skinner is so one dimensional it's not even funny. Slavin and Pesce are excellent, but Faulk had an off year, and Slavin and Pesce weren't as good as 2016-2017. Goaltenders suck, no need to explain that. Their bottom 6 was arguably worse than the Flames, and their 2nd line is definitely worse than the 3M line (Who featured an injury to Frolik and a decline from him).

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So out west, my locks are:

Nashville
Winnipeg
Vegas
San Jose
Los Angeles
Colorado

I have a lot of faith those 6 teams are playoff teams. Colorado is some bad luck away from falling out, and LA needs Quick to be good, the other 4 should make it even without help or good luck.

That leaves...

Calgary
St. Louis
Edmonton
Dallas

as the next likely teams to push for a spot. I am not sold on St. Louis, and Edmonton would need a lot of improvement...Dallas should be a playoff team, and they've improved their secondary scoring, so I would say Calgary and Dallas also have a good shot. A team like Anaheim or Arizona might surprise me, especially Anaheim who I am expecting to regress but Gibson might offset that.

I said NO, but to me they are the definition of a bubble team. Some puck luck and an injection of youth might push them above those others.

How do you have LA as a lock? Too many players had career years last season on the Kings. Colorado is improving but they;re still young and could make mistakes, plus they were the most unsustainably lucky team in the league last season AINEC. You're talking about puck luck not realizing LA, Anaheim, and Colorado got historical good puck luck last season, while Flames had poor puck luck.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How do you have LA as a lock? Too many players had career years last season on the Kings. Colorado is improving but they;re still young and could make mistakes, plus they were the most unsustainably lucky team in the league last season AINEC. You're talking about puck luck not realizing LA, Anaheim, and Colorado got historical good puck luck last season, while Flames had poor puck luck.

How do I have LA as a lock?

A core of Doughty, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Quick, Muzzin, Carter, Kempe, Brown and potentially LaDue and Vilardi inspires a lot of confidence in me, personally.

A lot more than #1C Monahan/Lindholm/Backlund and goaltender Smith. That's just my opinion.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

A core of Doughty, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Quick, Muzzin, Carter, Kempe, Brown and potentially LaDue and Vilardi inspires a lot of confidence in me, personally.

A lot more than #1C Lindholm/Backlund and goaltender Smith. That's just my opinion.
If you're going to compare two teams, at least try to hide your bias. You can't list off 10 Kings players and then only 2 Flames. Come on now.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If you're going to compare two teams, at least try to hide your bias. You can't list off 10 Kings players and then only 2 Flames. Come on now.

Hide my bias? I hate the LA Kings, seeing them fall into obscurity would make me very happy. Reality is, I think they have better players.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

A lot more than #1C Monahan/Lindholm/Backlund and goaltender Smith. That's just my opinion.

Brown was considered cannon fodder until last season. Kempe isn't anything special, neither is LaDue. Is Vilardi even ready? Kovalchuk hasn't played in the NHL in a long time, who knows just how effective he'll be even though he's still a good player. Muzzin? Lol.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Brown was considered cannon fodder until last season. Kempe isn't anything special, neither is LaDue. Is Vilardi even ready? Kovalchuk hasn't played in the NHL in a long time, who knows just how effective he'll be even though he's still a good player. Muzzin? Lol.

That last part tells me all I need to know about your ability to judge talent.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
1 of 3 teams which had over 100 pts is a bubble team??
Two of them finished above your division leader, and all 3 finished above the rest.
Bubble teams indeed
I said one was a bubble team not all 3. I do not consider a team that the lat 2 years had 1st round exits and years before that missed the playoffs to be anything other than a bubble team. Hell even the Flames have had more success in the lat 3 years. But this is going off track now. The pacific playoff race will be much more interesting than the atlantic.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If he can put up 35 points on our third line, I'll cry tears of joy.
He's not going to be putting up 35 points if he's playing 3rd line ES minutes without a talented winger and with limited to no PP time. But if he plays with top 6 guys and gets some PP time, I'm sure he'll get at least 35 points.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's not going to be putting up 35 points if he's playing 3rd line ES minutes without a talented winger and with limited to no PP time. But if he plays with top 6 guys and gets some PP time, I'm sure he'll get at least 35 points.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm is what I'm hoping to see matches up with the opponent's top line. All three play amazing defense and think the game well.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Glass houses? You’re the one that makes stuff up when replying to oilers fans and then proceed to ignore rebuttals

What are you on about?

OhheyHemsky made a frequently used, old as dirt, comment about the Flames defense.

I retorted with a similarly used, old as dirt, comment about the Oilers offense.

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to understand where I was going with that.

But you White Knight away brother......you do you.

As for making stuff up? What the hell are you on about?

Do I call out ridiculous fanboy statements that you guys make? Sure, last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion. And for the record I'm pretty polite about it as well. I'm not some over the top hater like you are suggesting.

But whatever....stick to your guns. I'm the bad guy here. I started it.....or whatever you want to believe.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
He wasnt wrong with what he said

Meh.....I figured there was enough intelligence around here to get the point of the post.

I'll be more specific going forward for those that don't.

I replied with an equally over used, unoriginal, stupid post.

Because you know......both fan bases have heard them for the last 6 years and never, ever, get old.

What was most surprising was that it was an Oiler fan that posted it......you'd think they would understand the bigger picture.

But no....gotta get those pot shot drive by's in!!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I said one was a bubble team not all 3. I do not consider a team that the lat 2 years had 1st round exits and years before that missed the playoffs to be anything other than a bubble team. Hell even the Flames have had more success in the last 3 years. But this is going off track now. The pacific playoff race will be much more interesting than the atlantic.

5 playoffs wins vs. 4.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Meh.....I figured there was enough intelligence around here to get the point of the post.

I'll be more specific going forward for those that don't.

I replied with an equally over used, unoriginal, stupid post.

Because you know......both fan bases have heard them for the last 6 years and never, ever, get old.

What was most surprising was that it was an Oiler fan that posted it......you'd think they would understand the bigger picture.

But no....gotta get those pot shot drive by's in!!
Agreed

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they will, maybe even advance to the second round for once. I think the only thing that needs improvement if anything is their goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad