Do the Calgary Flames make the playoffs in the 2018-19 season?

Do the Flames make it in to the playoffs (18-19)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Do you think the Flames can make it with their new additions?
Here is a rough lineup:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik
Czarnik-Ryan-Brouwer

Giordano-Brodie
Hanafin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Smith
Rittich

Looks good on paper but it means nothing unless it transfers to the ice. We addressed our biggest need (rw) and added 2 top 6 players to fill that (Lindholm+Neal) but also lost Hamilton (replaced with Hanafin). I think if we added Lindholm and Neal last year we wouldve made it but maybe im just being bias. Would like to hear what rest of HF thinks.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I like the look of the team on paper, and think their top 6 is solid and so is their D(depending on what Hamonic shows up).

Question for flames fans, how would you rate your teams speed overall.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I like the look of the team on paper, and think their top 6 is solid and so is their D(depending on what Hamonic shows up).

Question for flames fans, how would you rate your teams speed overall.

Definitely one of the lower teams in terms of speed. The only notable skaters on the team would be Brodie and Hanifin (and Gaudreau, but only for his agility, not his top speed). Fastest forward is probably Backlund, and I wouldn’t call him anything more than above average.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
They will either be a serious force or they will miss.

If that roster gels and works like it should on paper, there's no way they don't contend. BUT we all know that the game isn't played on paper and Smith is a huge wild card for me this season.

Not going to vote for that reason.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
the only thing in their favour is that the division is wide open. it's not a great team

How so? Our biggest problem last season was the coach and his stubborn ineffective system and PP. That has been addressed.

The top line was one of the best in the league for most of last season before people got injured with Ferland on it. They just swapped Ferland for Neal, that's a huge upgrade.

Lindholm is at least as good, if not an improvement on Frolik which allows one of them to solidify the third line which now looks a lot more respectable as all three are solid NHL'ers. 4th line has been improved immensely with Ryan.

The D still looks solid and while losing Hamilton is a big loss, the net gain of Brodie playing back with Gio where he excelled and Hanafin softens that blow.

Smith is a wild card.

To say it's not a great team is being disingenuous. There is some real talent on that team with no real glaring holes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How so? Our biggest problem last season was the coach and his stubborn ineffective system and PP. That has been addressed.

The top line was one of the best in the league for most of last season before people got injured with Ferland on it. They just swapped Ferland for Neal, that's a huge upgrade.

Lindholm is at least as good, if not an improvement on Frolik which allows one of them to solidify the third line which now looks a lot more respectable as all three are solid NHL'ers. 4th line has been improved immensely with Ryan.

The D still looks solid and while losing Hamilton is a big loss, the net gain of Brodie playing back with Gio where he excelled and Hanafin softens that blow.

Smith is a wild card.

To say it's not a great team is being disingenuous. There is some real talent on that team with no real glaring holes.
there is some high end talent, but really not a whole lot. it's a mediocre team last season that might be pretty good now if things go well for them, but they still aren't great.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think so.
Also no chance Derek Ryan is going to be your #4 center, it's not happening, at lowest he'll be your #3. I speak from experience on this.

If he can put up 35 points on our third line, I'll cry tears of joy.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
They should make the playoffs but I'm not sold on how they are built. I don't see them making a real run and they are probably back in a full rebuild in 3 years from now.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
They should make the playoffs but I'm not sold on how they are built. I don't see them making a real run and they are probably back in a full rebuild in 3 years from now.

Besides Giordano, their entire core is under the age of 30 (and Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Bennett, Jankowski, and Hanifin are less than 25). I really doubt they will be rebuilding that quickly.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I say yes, but goaltending is a huge concern for me. I constantly have this feeling in the back of my head that Smith will pull a Hiller for us and have a sudden and steep decline. While I doubt thats how it'll go down, Smith's health is concerning nonetheless, and I'm not sure Rittich and Gillies are the answer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Core is:
25 Gaudreau
23 Monahan
20 Tkachuk
23 Lindholm
21 Hanifin
23 Jankowski
29 Backlund

In three years, the majority of the team still won't be hitting their primes :laugh: Calgary is an underrated young team in the league.

Calgary will be a really good team this year, like, really good IMO.

Ultra unlucky team, at an unsustainable level (I guess a return for that 14-15 lucky season). League average PDO and this team would have been a top 2 team in the Pacific last year. The addition of Peters 'no BS' coaching will go a long way too... this team was far too mentally fragile.

I think they have a good chance at winning the division, that top 9 went from bare to quite deep in the span of an offseason.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Core is:
25 Gaudreau
23 Monahan
20 Tkachuk
23 Lindholm
21 Hanifin
23 Jankowski
29 Backlund

In three years, the majority of the team still won't be hitting their primes :laugh: Calgary is an underrated young team in the league.

Calgary will be a really good team this year, like, really good IMO.

Ultra unlucky team, at an unsustainable level (I guess a return for that 14-15 lucky season). League average PDO and this team would have been a top 2 team in the Pacific last year. The addition of Peters 'no BS' coaching will go a long way too... this team was far too mentally fragile.

I think they have a good chance at winning the division, that top 9 went from bare to quite deep in the span of an offseason.
Gio and Brodie aren't part of the core?

Also, at what age do you think forwards hit their prime?

Last edited:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Hinges on goaltending. Can Smith stay healthy and/or do their two young goalies play like they did last year in the backup role (great) or like they did after Smith went down (not so great)

Based on their skaters I think they make the playoffs. Their division could help them out a bit. Ducks and Knights could take a step back while the other Pacific teams that missed the playoffs didn't really get any better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad