Do The Blues Have The Best Defense In The NHL?

Do the Blues have the best d-corps in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
After acquiring Faulk do the Blues have the best D-corps in the league? If not, who do you think does?

For reference (pairings are up in the air) :

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Faulk
Bortuzzo

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Tampa, Carolina, Boston and maybe Nashville still

Edit: for sure Nashville and I forgot the Wild, Dallas and on pieces alone I’d rather have Colorado’s

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No, I wouldn't put them top 2 in their own division. Nashville needs no explaination, Dallas with Heiskanen, Klingberg and Lindell. Minnesota with Dumba, Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin I'd take over them. Colorado has an up and coming Defense that's a bit of a wild card.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Boston? What’s so special about their defense?
I don't think it's as good but they have insane depth. With all the injuries last year they proved they had 10 guys that are NHL D-men. It's also structured very well, really good #1 D-man and one of the better middle pairs, along with a really balanced mix between defensive d-men and puckmovers.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I also think a lot of this has to do with the systems these players are playing, the real question is which top 6 fits their coaches defensive style the best

Reactions: kundahlini

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Tampa, Carolina, Boston and maybe Nashville still

Edit: for sure Nashville and I forgot the Wild, Dallas and on pieces alone I’d rather have Colorado’s

Explain Tampa? I hear this all the time, but their goalie just won Vezina and their metrics are all middle of the pack. Seems like the defense get madly over rated due to the strength of the rest of the roster.

Reactions: DaveG

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
If Shattenkirk can get back to his old self ... Hedman, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Cernak, Sergachev, Coburn is as good as it gets.

Hedman - Sergachev > Dunn - Pietrangelo

McDonagh - Cernak > Bouwmeester - Parayko

Coburn - Shattenkirk > Gunnarson - Faulk

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Explain Tampa? I hear this all the time, but their goalie just won Vezina and their metrics are all middle of the pack. Seems like the defense get madly over rated due to the strength of the rest of the roster.

Hedman, McDonagh, shattenkirk and Sergachev over anyone not named pietrangelo and parayko (hedman over both)

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
If Shattenkirk can get back to his old self ... Hedman, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Cernak, Sergachev, Coburn is as good as it gets.

says the Tampa fan

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Hedman is over rated IMO but still a top D. However Shattenkirk has been meh and Serg is meh as well. Both are over rated.

I agree 100% on your first point.

I think shatt will be in a solid situation for him and his game in Tampa, and serg is a great young d, he has a few kind to iron out but he’ll be fine.

I made a post somewhere here where a defender is only good if he’s being utilized properly to match his game which is what I think will happen in Tampa (could be wrong)

Dunn is interesting but I take both over the ghost of jaybo

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I'd take their third pairing over ours pretty easily. Second pairing is close, but Parayko is probably more on the upswing than McDonagh, while Cernak is certainly on more of an upswing than JBo. I'd also take Dunn over Serge, but Hedman is strong enough to win on the first pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad