Speculation: Do some players, like #31, play better without fans?

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I think Price plays better without fans.

He's more focused, and doesnt have to contend with the emotions and pressure of 21,000 fans.

It feels like a competitive practice. And that may be where he excels.

Everyone peaks and performs differently.

This theory may apply to a good portion of the league.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

He's more focused, and doesnt have to contend with the emotions and pressure of 21,000 fans.

Its crossed my mind, not just price but i mean, there just HAS to be a number of players on the habs that truly dont mind the no fans, just like im sure the no fans HAS to be bumming out a number of people as well, Tatar comes to mind

Reactions: FLHabs

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Patrice Brisebois could have been the next Bobby Orr if it wasn't for the fans! :naughty:

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I honestly feel like Price is playing at this level because he is so well rested and the team is playing a solid structured game in front of him. But yea maybe no fans in the arena helps with concentration also

Looks like we hacked the price code.

If I were Molson I'd keep the gates closed until his contract expires.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The kickoff series proved to me players are oblivious to fans as opposed to popular opinion - zoned into the game.

Reactions: angusyoung

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Price has shined in front of both friendly & unfriendly fans.

His performance this past week is hardly evidence that he plays better w/o fans... That's silly

You provided no proof that he doesn't play better without fans...

He's 3-1 lifetime,with sick sv % and playing his best hockey ... Without fans.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs are certainly playing more solid hockey away from the Bell Centre this year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Habs are certainly playing more solid hockey away from the Bell Centre this year.

Yeah, for whatever reason, the habs were awful at home this year, whereas they were a good home team the year before.

I think in general, the players are not affected by the crowd, but maybe it had become a mental issue for the team to win at home for this year specifically.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Or maybe, his body and mind are well rested because he hasn't come off a 70 game season playing behind a sub-par team.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't want to seem insensitive and start speculating about Carey Price's family life - but I wonder how much of this is the no fans/media vs being in a bubble away from his family. He strikes me as a very good family man - but also the type who likely gets stressed out over it (as any regular human being would, with kids, a wife, discussing day to day issues, etc). I feel like he has the type of personality who would thrive in this current environment, being sheltered and in a bubble.

In the end - we're looking at a ~3-5 game sample size, and it's hard to say for sure. Players get hot and players get cold over such small samples, so it's too early to draw actual conclusions.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I don't want to seem insensitive and start speculating about Carey Price's family life - but I wonder how much of this is the no fans/media vs being in a bubble away from his family. He strikes me as a very good family man - but also the type who likely gets stressed out over it (as any regular human being would, with kids, a wife, discussing day to day issues, etc). I feel like he has the type of personality who would thrive in this current environment, being sheltered and in a bubble.

In the end - we're looking at a ~3-5 game sample size, and it's hard to say for sure. Players get hot and players get cold over such small samples, so it's too early to draw actual conclusions.

It is pure speculation of course but I was gonna post the same thing. Certainly seems like it's a factor

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Well, being in the bubble, he doesn't need to go do groceries in public :sarcasm:

It sounds silly but its probably a bigger factor than you think. Sometimes you just want privacy - and Price strikes me as a very private person. Its probably some subconscious added stress/anxiety having to go out in public to run errands - especially after a bad loss for example

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Further speculation: if anything it’s the lack of MTL media hounds which would help maintain sanity more than the fan factor

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Considering he put up some of the best numbers ever seen by a goaltender when there were fans, I dont think theres much to this theory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad