Do some organizations really want to win or just profit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Boltsfan2029 said:
That's why the NHLPA needs to insist that the new CBA mandates that all revenue sharing/payroll taxes/whatever go to the on ice product, and monitor it closely. It would look pretty bad for the league to fight that.
If that was the case, I would heartily support it.
But I have no respect for teams who cry out for help, then pocket the money they get.
Ridiculous.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boltsfan2029 said:
That's why the NHLPA needs to insist that the new CBA mandates that all revenue sharing/payroll taxes/whatever go to the on ice product, and monitor it closely. It would look pretty bad for the league to fight that.
The NHL is doing precisely what you say would look pretty bad ..

The NHL has resisted Revenue Sharing for the most part in the process so far, and it has been a real tough sell to some big market owners..

The NHL Has ;
  • Presented Revenue sharing models that mainly divide up PLAYOFF money only.. Which is easily read as money designed to go into small market owners pockets to help cover operating losses throughout the year as we all know that money spent on player contracts ends with the end of the regular season.
  • Bettman has stated from Day 1 that he does not support a luxury tax system nor accept one, as it is designed with the intent by the NHLPA to be given to the players and go towards salary and that makes it inflationary towards player costs in the future.
  • The latest NHL proposal had a declining revenue sharing model in fact that drops to Zero sharing in the last year of the 6 year suggested CBA, clearly an indication that the money should NOT BE ear marked for player contracts as it is going to dry up over time.
  • In the latest on going talks it has been suggested that since there is a luxury tax concept within a Hard Cap system range that the fines and penalties be so large that it is designed to be restrictive if not prohibitive towards generating Revenue Sharing funds . It was suggested that based on the NHL proposal it could cost a team as much as $200 mil in fines and penalties of the life of the CBA to exceed various thresholds..
So in your own words " It would look pretty bad for the league to fight that" ....

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Boltsfan2029 said:

Not at all. As I've explained before, if a team is losing money, giving them a handout then making them spend it all on players doesn't help them financially. It *might* help them on the ice, no guarantees that simply spending more money improves the team of course.

What you suggest is payroll inflation. Instead of team A spending $50 million, and B $20 million, you have team A spending $40 million in salary, giving $10 million in taxes to B, who then spend $30 million. Net result: $80 million spent on players instead of $70 million.

Of course the NHLPA is for this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Gee Wally said:
Also , his judgement, Harry Sinden, sure made some good trades...but name me ONE...just ONE..GM in any sport that kept his job without winning a championship for OVER 30 years.

I sure as heck don't know of one.

I never even thought of that. That's insane.

GSC2k2*

19nazzy said:
This is the whole reason I hate luxury taxes that go to smaller spending teams.
Look at baseball. Everyone criticizes the New York Yankees but Steinbrenner isn't there to make money. He takes his own profits and puts it back into his team so they can be a contender every year. And then when they pay their taxes, the smaller paying teams owner's simply pocket the money and don't spend it on their team.

You don't know any of what you just said. As for owners "pocketing the money", that may very well be them replacing the money they were otherwise losing. And you CERTAINLY don't know that the Yankees spend their profits. They may very well spend $200 million on payroll and still make $30 million a year.

That may or may not be the case, but you and I have no idea what is going on in that regard.

WC Handy*

The Messenger said:
The NHL Has Presented Revenue sharing models that mainly divide up PLAYOFF money only..

SOURCE?

The Messenger said:
The latest NHL proposal had a declining revenue sharing model in fact that drops to Zero sharing in the last year of the 6 year suggested CBA

SOURCE?

The Messenger said:
In the latest on going talks it has been suggested that since there is a luxury tax concept within a Hard Cap system range that the fines and penalties be so large that it is designed to be restrictive if not prohibitive towards generating Revenue Sharing funds.

The primary function of any strict luxury tax is to act as a cap. NOT to generate revenue sharing funds.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
blamebettman said:
well, in Sindens defense he did win a cup as a coach

The Flyers have won the Cup twice the since time the Bruins won their last one, what does that say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->