Do Players Still Watch The Playoffs After They've Been Eliminated?

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
I couldn't find any information on this, to be honest. But I was curious, for players who play either for teams that didn't make the playoffs, or for teams that were eliminated earlier in the playoffs, do they end up watching the playoffs? I guess it varies by player but I really am curious.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Schiefele for sure does. His interview after the WCF run he mentioned watching the rest from the couch.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Yup. I'm remember reading some quotes from the Hawks 2014 and Coyotes in 2012 after they were eliminated by the Kings.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just based on loose memory of hearing this question asked in interviews I know a fairly common answer is to tune out but then check out some of the Cup Final.

Reactions: cptjeff

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
From what I have heard and NOTE this is not a condemnation or insult or in any way meant to be nasty but apparently there is a higher interest by North American players to watch versus those from other parts of the world.

Of course like all things in life it is very subjective and a personal preference.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
When Flames get eliminated I usually don't watch hockey for a week or two. But by the time i'm over it, it's still only the end of round 2 since the Flames cant win a series. I imagine a lot of players have the same thing when they get eliminated.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I imagine they would... imagine being a player in the top league in the world and not giving a damn about watching it :laugh:

I imagine players probably have parties for it all and everything.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I imagine they would... imagine being a player in the top league in the world and not giving a damn about watching it :laugh:

I imagine players probably have parties for it all and everything.
Highly doubt that they are having watch parties.

I’d say It’s 50/50 in players watching. A lot watch periodically and catch games while they can. There are quite a few players that don’t follow the NHL after they retire.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I’d bet a lot more don’t watch than you’d think. A lot of these guys go on vacations with the family almost right after the season. I know back when I played, they used to say that after the season is over throw your hockey bag in the garage and don’t look at it for a few weeks. Gotta get your mind away from the game for a bit to properly reset.

Reactions: The Sweetness

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Majority of players do watch or atleast follow the playoffs. They love the sport or they never would have made it to the NHL. Im not saying they watch every game, but they definitely still watch some and if they aren't watching because they are vacationing or whatever they still follow it.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Majority of players do watch or atleast follow the playoffs. They love the sport or they never would have made it to the NHL. Im not saying they watch every game, but they definitely still watch some and if they aren't watching because they are vacationing or whatever they still follow it.

Do you have to "love" your job to be good at it???

You woukd be surprised to see how many athletes don't like their sport, just happened to be good at it, or even worse- were forced by parents to do it...

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Do you have to "love" your job to be good at it???

You woukd be surprised to see how many athletes don't like their sport, just happened to be good at it, or even worse- were forced by parents to do it...
That depends, are you talking about a job literally anyone can get if they want to go to school or are you talking about a job like the NHL where even 99% of people who dedicate their 20 years of their life don't make it?

acor

Jan 13, 2012
That depends, are you talking about a job literally anyone can get if they want to go to school or are you talking about a job like the NHL where even 99% of people who dedicate their 20 years of their life don't make it?

But it doesn't change the fact, that you don't have to love it to be good at something. They are professionals, not fans.

Besides, even your dream job gets boring someties, and you need a break...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I would say mostly. They are students of the game and fans but I have read a few say they were too angry after being eliminated to watch. I'd guess over 90% do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad