Do Parise, Koivu, Poms, Vanek, and Suter retire as Wild?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Vanek, I think, is the easiest one to answer as a yes because of his relative short term contract and his NTC/NMC on his contract (don't know which one). He's gone after 16/17, so I don't see us trading or moving him. Koivu, I also believe, will be with the Wild for the long haul as no one will want to take on that contract (paying him 9 million at the end). Parise and Suter aren't going anywhere both because of their contracts and because of their ties with the state.

Poms, I believe, will be moved sometime before 17/18 so that Minnesota can get back to retooling. They are going to have a limited amount of cap space really, really soon and they are going to have to figure out what to do with some of their restricted free agents and their contracts.

Between Pominville, Koivu, Parise, Suter, Coyle, Scandella and Brodin, Minnesota will have roughly 38 million of their cap space taken up in 2017/2018 and only three of those players should be core players at that time. The cap should go up, so they should get some relief but Nino, Granlund, Zucker and Dumba will all need contracts at that time and it'll be interesting to see what Minnesota does with a few of them this off-season.

But I digress; I really only see Pominville being moved before his contract is up. I don't see any of the other players being moved. Do you?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well, Parise and Suter are definitely retiring in Minnesota. I would assume the same for Koivu.

I would assume all three, along with Vanek, though you never know with the changing NHL landscape. Koivu, I could see moving to another team because Minnesota won't pay him and he still think he has something left in his tank (aka Modano, Alfredsson)...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would assume all three, along with Vanek, though you never know with the changing NHL landscape. Koivu, I could see moving to another team because Minnesota won't pay him and he still think he has something left in his tank (aka Modano, Alfredsson)...

Vanek may still want to play after this deal.

space321

May 11, 2011
He's 33 at the end of his deal, there's a good 4 or 5 years left for him after, i doubt he'd retire.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Pommer, Koivu and Vanek will probably play for other teams in the NHL before retiring.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Depends if Vanek goes the Heatley way. He might be done at the end of his current deal.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
If Koivu ends up playing anywhere else... Man, that would be weird. Picturing him playing with any other jersey on is difficult.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I have hard time imagining Koivu wanting to sign anywhere else. Then again I'm sure flames fans felt the same way about Iginla.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Parise and Suter are two good possibilities. ......I'd be shocked if any of the others did. Don't see it happening. Even if players like playing here, they'll go where they have to in order to keep playing. Modano to Detroit is a good example of that. Either trade or free agency, most of those guys listed will move on.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I have hard time imagining Koivu wanting to sign anywhere else. Then again I'm sure flames fans felt the same way about Iginla.

I think the only way Koivu will ever play anywhere else is if the Wild run (or half-run) him out of town by forcing him to accept a trade or telling him at the end of his contract that he's no longer wanted or needed. I don't see a fully friendly separation in the horizon because he doesn't want to leave.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the only way Koivu will ever play anywhere else is if the Wild run (or half-run) him out of town by forcing him to accept a trade or telling him at the end of his contract that he's no longer wanted or needed. I don't see a fully friendly separation in the horizon because he doesn't want to leave.
Koivu can retire with the Wild if he keeps his skating up and doesn't get greedy with his paycheck. If he does that his game is well suited for 3rd and 4th line duty.

DUMBA55

Jun 18, 2013
Koivu, Parise, Suter = Yes

I feel like Vanek will possibly stick aorund as a lifer taking pay cuts to do so

My gut feeling on Pommers is that he is the type of guy who will jump around to 2-3 more teams before he finally retires

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad