DO NOT BUY NHL 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I'm getting tired of seeing the same game every year. The only thing they change is the presentation, which I could care less about. I skip all of these cutscenes anyway. We've been asking for a more in depth be a pro, and they gave us a bunch of text on a screen. We've been asking for GM connected, and they give us the option to add more teams to a league. 2K, for all its flaws, is still miles ahead of NHL.

So here's the plan: do not buy NHL 23. One of the only reasons to buy the game was for the roster update, but we have roster sharing now so the community can take this into their own hands. If we all don't buy the game, we're forcing them to make a game that's actually worth our money. $100 is a significant amount of money, and it's not well spent buying a game you already have.

What say you?

Reactions: Dtybur

DrDorrian MD

Jun 23, 2022
bought my first NHL since 2012 last year and i thought it was OK. looks like the same game with a couple added features which means I will be buying it again. Its not like a step backwards which they have done before.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm getting tired of seeing the same game every year. The only thing they change is the presentation, which I could care less about. I skip all of these cutscenes anyway. We've been asking for a more in depth be a pro, and they gave us a bunch of text on a screen. We've been asking for GM connected, and they give us the option to add more teams to a league. 2K, for all its flaws, is still miles ahead of NHL.

So here's the plan: do not buy NHL 23. One of the only reasons to buy the game was for the roster update, but we have roster sharing now so the community can take this into their own hands. If we all don't buy the game, we're forcing them to make a game that's actually worth our money. $100 is a significant amount of money, and it's not well spent buying a game you already have.

What say you?
A large contingent of this game's fanbase buys the game for game modes like EASHL and HUT, which really should be membership based and not require a new game every 12 months. They're the game's online community which should improve with the ability to play cross-platform.

If your preferred game play is offline franchise, there are better games out there that don't cost $80 a year.

Reactions: HabsQC and MAHJ71
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
That's why there are different choices and versions to play right? What I find amusing about this whole concept of 'NHL 20 sucks!, or 'don't buy NHL 21, 22, 23!! etc', why don't you continue to play the game or version that you love the most?

I play NHL Championship 2000 on the PS1 because I enjoy it the simple gameplay. I play NHL 14 and 17 because I have a fun time with it. I don't buy the new versions year after year since they seem to have little changes in between

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
If I'd only play offline I wouldn't buy it but since I only play online I gotta bite the bullet. It's 40 euros where I live so ~3e per month if you look at it that way which isn't too bad.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Only casuals wouldn’t buy it.

Anyone who says they ain’t going to buy because it’s ”the same game every year” most likely suck at it. Both in 1s and in 6s.

….

I mean, it’s objectively almost the exact same game year after year. That fact doesn’t change based on how good or bad you are at the game.

Apologies if I missed some sarcasm.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
….

I mean, it’s objectively almost the exact same game year after year. That fact doesn’t change based on how good or bad you are at the game.

Apologies if I missed some sarcasm.
My point is that anyone who isn’t buying it isn’t very good at it. Zero sarcasm. And nothing personal, hopefully no one gets offended.

There are definitely subtle differences each version. The skating, backhand passing, pokechecking, x-protecting all for example had major changes from 21 to 22. And the beta for 23 again would implicate major stick checking differences.

It’s not like LoL or CS is changing much every year either. Only difference is that you gotta buy new NHL every year. But like I said: if you’re even considering not buying it you’re most likely a casual.

Most likely you (not meaning you specifically but a person in a general) don’t even know what nhlgamer is. Don’t know much of the meta play styles in top 1s and 6s etc.

There are tons of players in the NHL scene who think they’re somewhat decent in the game but actually suck. I’d say 95% of the guys complaining about the game mechanics every year (the same guys who probably want GM connected back et) are those kind of players.

If you say it’s the same game it just means you haven’t studied all the small details in game play.

It’s kind like if in CS they changed the flashbang radius. Casuals would say there’s basically no difference. The better players would definitely see it as a big deal.

Nothing wrong being a casual and not spending so much time on a game though. Probably wise not to buy it in that kind of situation.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Its not like not buying it is going to make any positive impact. EA isnt going to allocate more funds or resources for a game that makes less money, itll only get worse.

There is no competition and if the sales for the one major hockey franchise are low, there definitely never will be.

Reactions: Elvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad