Do Marleau and Brown belong?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
If we didn't have Brown and Marleau for the upcoming season then we would be saving 8.35M against the cap. We wouldn't be worried at all about offer sheets, and we'd probably be talking about "which RHD can we sign in FA to help our team??"
No they don't belong. Both seem to hinder offensive progress as well as not contribute on the PP. Brown is at least good defensively.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I dont mind Brown on the 4th line, making 1M. He does kill penalties and isnt bad defensively. Wish he would be a little more physical though. Just miscast on 3rd line.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Marleau is slowing down fast, but I still believe he can be valuable as a steady leader come playoff time. He should be playing 4th line minutes though, as his game has regressed so much the past 2 years. Connor Brown is replaceable with much cheaper options in Petan, Moore and Ennis. I loved rooting for him as an underdog a few years back to make it on the Leafs, but he's a dime a dozen player, whose making about 750k a year too much.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I dont mind Brown on the 4th line, making 1M. He does kill penalties and isnt bad defensively. Wish he would be a little more physical though. Just miscast on 3rd line.

If he is willing to sign 3 or 4 years around 1 mil AAV, I'd gladly accept his 2.1 mil cap hit next season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Brown scored 20 goals as a rookie playing with Matthews and Hyman ..

Babcock has replaced him and Nylander when Willie struggled.

He is versatile and the coach trust him playing with any centre on the Leafs.

And then he scored 14 goals and is now on pace for 6.5 goals....

Looks like that first season was an outlier

Reactions: smitty10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad