Do European players have an advantage over NA players in IIHF tournaments?

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Seeing as European players are used to the bigger ice surface, is it fair to assume that they have an advantage over NA players?

Seeing some of the things Nylander could do with that little bit of extra ice width made me think of this.

What would happen if European players that aren't currently playing/have played in the NHL had to play on the smaller rink?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
To some extent yes... any sort of experience on a larger ice surface will obviously help.

But you also have to look at the particular styles of play that are best suited for the big ice. Agile skilled players like Nylander and Panarin will obviously be helped by having extra room to maneuver. But on Team Canada I would say the best player was O'Reilly, a player whose game is not suited to a larger ice surface.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Seeing as European players are used to the bigger ice surface, is it fair to assume that they have an advantage over NA players?

Seeing some of the things Nylander could do with that little bit of extra ice width made me think of this.

What would happen if European players that aren't currently playing/have played in the NHL had to play on the smaller rink?

Higher picks and older first timers do that all the time, see Laine for example.

As for senior players going to the IIHF, I don't think it makes a difference. By the time they're 25, the average NA player has played a lot of games on big ice already, with all the junior tournaments going on. At the very least they know what to expect.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

I am curious about this statement? I didn't see anything he hasn't done with the Leafs yet in case I missed something. There are highlight clips showing him slip through 3-4 players at a time. Can you please provide some examples or is this just a baseless claim to support your thread?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't know...

How many of the Swedes in the recent tournament play in the NHL on small ice anyway?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I'd say European teams biggest advantage is that their players care even the slightest bit.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
They don't, I think there were about 8 players (both teams) that were from Europe in this year's WC final.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

It's more of the opposite. NHL players are used to play the game in higher pace, with higher speed, they are forced to make all decisions faster due to smaller ice. Once they switch to bigger ice, they have more space to create, more time for decisions, and can use their speed much more. That's why it is a joy to watch Canadian team on the WHC... on the bigger ice surface.

Euro players have advantage in terms of that they are obviously used to play on the large ice for the whole season, whereas NHL players are not, but quite frankly, good NHL players are not going to have problem with switching to bigger ice and they always adjust quickly. Quality is on NA side, obviously.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Stralman talked about this when he first started scrimmaging. He said that the biggest thing to adjust to is how you can normally tell where you are based on where certain lines/dots were on the ice, and that is different on the bigger surface. I could see how you could think you're adequately covering a passing lane based on the hash marks only to find that you're actually a bit off due to their different placement (or related to faceoff dots or whatever).

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Stralman talked about this when he first started scrimmaging. He said that the biggest thing to adjust to is how you can normally tell where you are based on where certain lines/dots were on the ice, and that is different on the bigger surface. I could see how you could think you're adequately covering a passing lane based on the hash marks only to find that you're actually a bit off due to their different placement (or related to faceoff dots or whatever).
Didn't see that quote but came to post something similar.

I assume it's a bigger transition for NHL defensemen than any other player. They rely on timing, speed, angle, etc. it's different on the bigger ice. Probably takes a few games to adjust, but nothing they can't overcome

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Definitely, I've been saying this for years.

Goalies don't know the angles as well and skaters don't know the proper positioning. Canadians love to ring it around the boards on the PP which is mostly a total waste of time and effort on the big ice. If a penalty killer has chased you all the way to the boards someone should be open to make a direct pass to.

There should be quality coaches that coach in Europe full time to properly teach the players how to play over there. Playing a season or a few tournaments on the big ice doesn't give a player the same understanding and insight that someone that has grown up playing on it for 10+ years has.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
http://www.rawcharge.com/2017/5/3/1...sweden-iihf-world-championship-finland-russia

Stralman's comments:

“Some of it is confusion. As a defenseman, you read the game from the lines - your positioning that is. The lines here are different from the NHL so you try to wrap your mind around it and it isn’t easy. You think you are in the right place because it is what you are used to, but you end up in the wrong place. That is when you get confused and think ‘Oops, I went too far. I should have covered my back’ and it gives your opponent more time. It is a reflex, and it takes time. For example, our box [defensive zone formation] played with much better pressure against Finland. It was perfect, we did a great job.

The game against Russia was all turned around [and confusing]. It felt like we had two rinks out there. It was hard. Their game was on a different level and you could tell they had more players who are used to the bigger rinks while I’m wondering, ‘Where the hell am I supposed to be?’ They have so much ice to use that I don’t know where to go. It was better against the Czech Republic. Even though it ended up 8-4, I felt like it went better for me. We were at our best against Finland.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad