Do coaches sometimes make decisions out of self interest?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Do coaches sometimes play veteran scrubs like Tanner Glass even though a younger guy is a net positive, but may make a blatantly bad play that results in a goal against rather than a more subtle goal against where the team gives up a goal because of the veteran just generally sucking? So I feel like playing a scrub that may more subtly cost the team makes the coach look less bad than the rookie that makes a blatant mistake. So the coach may play the scrub to save his own ass rather than play the best team. Is this just me trying to rationalize why an otherwise rational coach would play Tanner Glass when he has a legit NHL player that he sits? Or is there something to this?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
No, coach's put the players on the ice that they think will win them games. You also need veteran leadership and guys who will motivate the team to work harder. Glass is a terrible player and I don't like his attitude, but you can't deny he brings the Rangers things they've been lacking. He was overpaid and targeted by the Rangers for a reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad