Do any of the prominent Canadian rock bands/artists have noted hockey affiliations?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
We may be at an impasse, but as much as I loathe limp biscuit and the smiths they're both rock music. Rock is basically the Beatles, Cradle of Filth, and everything in between. Hence the need for sub-genres - indie, punk, metal, whatever. Same with electronic music, as no one would argue that drum and bass and daft punk have anything in common other than machines.
Yes I think we have agreement on an issue of sub genre. 'Rock' to me has more of a zz top, bad company, kansas, 38 special kind of feel. As mentioned by JDI in the rush wiki link, they had different styles and influences on them as well. The smiths are New Wave with depeche mode, the cure kinda thing(so while in the rock field they are their own thing) and the nu metal sound again while in the rock area is pretty far away from Morrisey in terms of style.

So while you could throw a big tent over these bands. I would have a hard time saying they are from the same genre. If you had to give a playlist of songs to a listener of say linken park to what they may like, you probably wouldn't think Men Without Hats should be their next stop. That is what I mean by genre type. Rock has a little more of a connotation toward a Rush like sound to me as I will generally subdivide music. Otherwise its hard to understand what someone is saying if Ska and Thrash share the same soundspace under a given name.

I am sure there are those that listen to dubstep and electronica that wouldn't say it should be under the Hip Hop umbrella either. Though they share a somewhat common ancestor(drum beats based music).

In any case I think this thread has been derailed enough. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
you're fighting a losing battle here in my opinion...not sure you understand your music history all too well

from the Rush wikipedia page

Musical style and influences[edit]

Rush's musical style had changed substantially over the years. Its debut album was strongly influenced by British blues-based hard rock: an amalgam of sounds and styles from such rock bands as Black Sabbath, the Who, Cream and Led Zeppelin.[14][87][88] Rush became increasingly influenced by bands of the British progressive rock movement, especially Genesis, Yes and Jethro Tull.[89][90] In the tradition of progressive rock, Rush wrote extended songs with irregular and shifting time signatures, combined with fantasy and science fiction-themed lyrics. In the 1980s, Rush merged their sound with the trends of this period, experimenting with new wave, reggae and pop rock.[91] This period included the band's most extensive use of instruments such as synthesizers, sequencers, and electronic percussion. In the early 1990s, the band transformed their style once again to harmonize with the alternative rock movement.[92]

on too the subject of talent....you see above there where they talk about shifting influences, the move from blues based rock to prog rock, on to reggae and then to alt rock. As an amateur musician myself ....do you have any idea how challenging that is? Moving from genre to genre and playing at a professional level? Rush is an extremely talented band and i'm not even a fan.....every band mentioned here I've either seen or I've seen the principal musicians in some downstream other compilation of musicians...except Rush. They just never did it for me....but you're kidding yourself not recognizing their talent.

I think you are confused. Before you declare who is winning or losing a battle, it's a good idea to first know what the battle is.

I never made any posts whatsoever on the subject of the talent of the musicians in Rush. I don't know what you think you are responding to, but it's not me.

The post I responded to was the one where he dismissed a band as not being "rock" because they weren't blues-influenced while simultaneously praising Rush, who, by your own admission, haven't been blues-influenced since their very early recordings.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't gone through this thread, but the drummer for Red Hot Chili Peppers played junior A as a goaler in Minnesota.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The most noted connection I can think of is that the producers of Hockey Night in Canada called Canadian rockers Monster Truck while they were on tour in Europe in 2016 and asked if they could record a cover of Bay City Rollers' Saturday Night for the first HNIC of the 2016-17 season.

That's all there was of the cover until Monster Truck released a full version about a year later.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't hate them, in fact I do like and enjoy them-but I don't know how that band became big.
They're one of my favorite bands. But I have no idea why they're popular.

Long instrumental songs. Lack of repetition or hooks. Album-long concepts and musical motifs.

They really shouldn't be popular at all.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oh. Not sure if this counts. But Arcade Fire, Sam Roberts, and Melissa Auf der Mar are all Habs fans.

Kevin Smith (not a rock star) is an Oiler fan.

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
They're one of my favorite bands. But I have no idea why they're popular.

Long instrumental songs. Lack of repetition or hooks. Album-long concepts and musical motifs.

They really shouldn't be popular at all.

Well certainly tastes have changed. As a child of the 70's and 80's, concept albums, variety, etc was perfectly fine. For me, as a kid, I was always drawn to the album covers. Even before I really listened to Pink Floyd I had "The Wall" poster on my bedroom wall. Just thought it was really cool.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Just a non-Canadian passing by with my favourites:

Devin Townsend / SYL
Front Line Assembly (well, they did play near-metal in the mid 90s)
Skinny Puppy
Cryptopsy
Gorguts

Also, Woods of Ypres and Kataklysm have some cool stuff, but not really familiar with the "whole".

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I don't even think hockey is his favourite sport. I think of basketball when I hear the name Drake.

True, but he still grew up a pretty big Leafs fan.

Went out of his way during his Sweden tour to post this on his IG page.

cut.jpg

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
You don't get out much, do you? American here telling you that Canada has been killing it in rock and several other genres for a while now. They also have what I think is the best music festival in NA - Osheaga in Montreal.

You don't get much bigger than The Arcade Fire (even though Win and Will were raised in the states), The Weeknd, and Drake. Do you like techno? Because Richie Hawtin is probably the biggest dj in the world from that genre. If punk and hardcore are your thing give F**led Up a listen.

Now go spotify some Broken Social Scene and thank me later.

I used to like F'd Up but that was back when they were playing in basements to 50 people. I heard their brand new record yesterday and I think the best song on it is a disco song and they really don't sound very punk or hardcore anymore, it's indie rock now.

delled

Oct 3, 2009
bubbles of Trailer Park Boys fame played in the group Sandbox and his fave team is Seattle Samscwanches

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Geddy Lee was drafted by the Cleveland Barons.
He turned them down because he thought singing, bass, guitar, keyboards, Taurus pedals & playing goal was showing off.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I used to like F'd Up but that was back when they were playing in basements to 50 people. I heard their brand new record yesterday and I think the best song on it is a disco song and they really don't sound very punk or hardcore anymore, it's indie rock now.
Yeah, it just came out yesterday right? I read a generally positive review and you pretty much summed up what they said. Apparently the lead singer gave up all creative control to focus on other projects and this is what happened.

Reactions: WJCJ

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, it just came out yesterday right? I read a generally positive review and you pretty much summed up what they said. Apparently the lead singer gave up all creative control to focus on other projects and this is what happened.

Yeah, it just came out. It's not bad or anything, it just sounds different than the way they used to sound.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
That’s really cool! I didn’t know that

Smith is a lot of things, but he’s not a musician. If you’re not talking musicians, there’s countless people to name (eg GSP is an Oilers fan, Lesnar is a Jets fan, etc)

I actually forgot the topic and was thinking celebrities,..

But Kevin Smith has been known to rap outside convenience stores.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Just a non-Canadian passing by with my favourites:

Devin Townsend / SYL
Front Line Assembly (well, they did play near-metal in the mid 90s)
Skinny Puppy
Cryptopsy
Gorguts

Also, Woods of Ypres and Kataklysm have some cool stuff, but not really familiar with the "whole".

Numb was another good Vancouver-based industrial group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad