Do any of the prominent Canadian rock bands/artists have noted hockey affiliations?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
There hasn't been a good rock act out of Canada since Rush.
I know this is the main board, but this has to be one of the most misinformed opinions I've ever read on here.

I'm aware that taste is subjective and all, but I can name at least 5 Canadian bands off the top of my head that are leaps and bounds better than Rush and still relevant to people under 45.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Can’t tell you any Canadian rock stars, but there’s a few kind of close. He’s a country singer, but Brett Kissel is a huge Oiler fan. And he’s not Canadian, but Daron Malakian (System of a down) is an Oiler fan. 50 Cent also rocks Oilers gear pretty regularly, but I don’t know how much of a fan he is
The Arcade Fire aren't rock stars? I'd say you have a pretty high bar then.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
In this case he might actually be right though. The Canadian music scene is an embarrassment
You don't get out much, do you? American here telling you that Canada has been killing it in rock and several other genres for a while now. They also have what I think is the best music festival in NA - Osheaga in Montreal.

You don't get much bigger than The Arcade Fire (even though Win and Will were raised in the states), The Weeknd, and Drake. Do you like techno? Because Richie Hawtin is probably the biggest dj in the world from that genre. If punk and hardcore are your thing give F**led Up a listen.

Now go spotify some Broken Social Scene and thank me later.

Reactions: dubey

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I know this is the main board, but this has to be one of the most misinformed opinions I've ever read on here.

I'm aware that taste is subjective and all, but I can name at least 5 Canadian bands off the top of my head that are leaps and bounds better than Rush and still relevant to people under 45.

misinformed and 5 Cdn rock bands leaps and bounds better than Rush in the same post. oh the irony.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You don't get out much, do you? American here telling you that Canada has been killing it in rock and several other genres for a while now. They also have what I think is the best music festival in NA - Osheaga in Montreal.

You don't get much bigger than The Arcade Fire (even though Win and Will were raised in the states), The Weeknd, and Drake. Do you like techno? Because Richie Hawtin is probably the biggest dj in the world from that genre. If punk and hardcore are your thing give F**led Up a listen.

The fact that Drake is popular at all shows the sad state of the entire music industry. I say this as a hip-hop fan.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I guess you don't know good rock.
3 days Grace....
14 No. 1 songs on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, and three No. 1 hits on Alternative Songs.
Rock band...3DG doesn't sound like rock to me. Soft rock, alternative perhaps, but not blues based rock-hence no good canadian rock band since rush. I will disagree a bit as I do like sHeavy and they are a good hard rock band that sounds like sabbath. Even the Hip and 54-40 or Tea Party never struck me much as rock,-or more accurately harder side of rock. Melodies and chording are more indicative of rock type.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
UMM NO

Look you can hate the sound of them, you can hate a lot about rush, but they are pretty much the pinnacle of musicianship. Their drummer is the most influential drummer that isn't a jazz guy since Bonham. Alex is considered one of the best guitarist on the planet. Geddy is routinely considered among the best bass players with flea and claypool, not to mention he plays great keys WHILE singing. They have a music palette that is pretty vast and in many peoples opinion are under rated for what they do and who they have influenced.

I HATE pink floyd, don't like the music, the singing, the goofy sound effects, and I could care less about their lore. However I do acknowledged they are extremely talented at their craft.

Opinon=subjective, but talent can be quantified.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You think Rush is blues based?
No rock is blues based (song structure and chording). But early rush sound like zepplin which is in fact blues based. Listen to Finding My Way..it has a very zepplin feel about it.

Try reading what I posted instead of pretending I said Rush was blues.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
UMM NO

Look you can hate the sound of them, you can hate a lot about rush, but they are pretty much the pinnacle of musicianship. Their drummer is the most influential drummer that isn't a jazz guy since Bonham. Alex is considered one of the best guitarist on the planet. Geddy is routinely considered among the best bass players with flea and claypool, not to mention he plays great keys WHILE singing. They have a music palette that is pretty vast and in many peoples opinion are under rated for what they do and who they have influenced.

I HATE pink floyd, don't like the music, the singing, the goofy sound effects, and I could care less about their lore. However I do acknowledged they are extremely talented at their craft.

Oh, we're talking about talent? Cool.

Phish is extremely talented as is eminem. But I can assure you that I have very little in common with most people who listen to them regularly.

Creating great music isn't necessarily about being talented when it comes to chord progression. And it's usually self-indulgent weirdos that listen to claypool and rush. It's almost as bad as having a "discussion" with a metalhead. And don't even get me started on the 2nd greatest cover band of all time - zeppelin. It's a shame the internet wasn't around back then, those guys would have been justifiably torched.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Oh, we're talking about talent? Cool.

Phish is extremely talented as is eminem. But I can assure you that I have very little in common with most people who listen to them regularly.

Creating great music isn't necessarily about being talented when it comes to chord progression. And it's usually self-indulgent weirdos that listen to claypool and rush. It's almost as bad as having a "discussion" with a metalhead.

Wow cool story bro. You do know metal players are often classical trained musicians. So because you can't even be honest enough to say you hate their sound but are talented you just throw up a red herring.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Wow cool story bro. You do know metal players are often classical trained musicians. So because you can't even be honest enough to say you hate their sound but are talented you just throw up a red herring.

What? I'm unequivocally stating that most are extremely talented but sound like absolute trash.

That was the point.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You may be able to jam with the best of them, but if you can't write songs or at least figure out how to hire people that can, well, that's just too bad.

Look at it this way, you can be the fastest skater in world, but if you can't pass or shoot then guess what? Hockey's not the sport for you.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
What? I'm unequivocally stating that most are extremely talented but sound like absolute trash.

That was the point.
Subjective opinion. You proved my point. I like rush therefore they must be better than all your crap music=opinion as well. But you said they were less talented than 5 other bands you didn't even name. I personally could care less about weather you are 20 or 60, I like Duke Ellington is he not relevant? I am not 90 years old but can still like something outside a narrow scope? Miley is relevant, Demi is relevant are they talented and sound great? One could be said with yes or no, the other is subjective.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
UMM NO

extraordinarily well put sir....and for the record...I love Floyd :)

Reactions: Doc McKenna

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
No rock is blues based (song structure and chording). But early rush sound like zepplin which is in fact blues based. Listen to Finding My Way..it has a very zepplin feel about it.

Try reading what I posted instead of pretending I said Rush was blues.

I'm not "pretending" anything.

You dismissed another band for not being "rock" because they weren't blues-based while simultaneously trumpeting Rush as a great rock band even though they aren't blues based either.

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

For some people - if it doesn't exist on the radio, it doesn't exist

He's also from Alberta which is not exactly a hotbed for music

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

You dismissed another band for not being "rock" because they weren't blues-based while simultaneously trumpeting Rush as a great rock band even though they aren't blues based either.

you're fighting a losing battle here in my opinion...not sure you understand your music history all too well

from the Rush wikipedia page

Musical style and influences[edit]

Rush's musical style had changed substantially over the years. Its debut album was strongly influenced by British blues-based hard rock: an amalgam of sounds and styles from such rock bands as Black Sabbath, the Who, Cream and Led Zeppelin.[14][87][88] Rush became increasingly influenced by bands of the British progressive rock movement, especially Genesis, Yes and Jethro Tull.[89][90] In the tradition of progressive rock, Rush wrote extended songs with irregular and shifting time signatures, combined with fantasy and science fiction-themed lyrics. In the 1980s, Rush merged their sound with the trends of this period, experimenting with new wave, reggae and pop rock.[91] This period included the band's most extensive use of instruments such as synthesizers, sequencers, and electronic percussion. In the early 1990s, the band transformed their style once again to harmonize with the alternative rock movement.[92]

on too the subject of talent....you see above there where they talk about shifting influences, the move from blues based rock to prog rock, on to reggae and then to alt rock. As an amateur musician myself ....do you have any idea how challenging that is? Moving from genre to genre and playing at a professional level? Rush is an extremely talented band and i'm not even a fan.....every band mentioned here I've either seen or I've seen the principal musicians in some downstream other compilation of musicians...except Rush. They just never did it for me....but you're kidding yourself not recognizing their talent.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Subjective opinion. You proved my point. I like rush therefore they must be better than all your crap music=opinion as well. But you said they were less talented than 5 other bands you didn't even name. I personally could care less about weather you are 20 or 60, I like Duke Ellington is he not relevant? I am not 90 years old but can still like something outside a narrow scope? Miley is relevant, Demi is relevant are they talented and sound great? One could be said with yes or no, the other is subjective.
I said better, not more talented. But yes, I do think broken social scene could convincingly cover rush with ease. I'd argue arcade fire could as well, but Win can't hit those notes. Maybe if Regine gave it a go. Wolf parade or metric wouldn't have much of an issue either. Just naming Canadian bands off the top of my head here.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So you must be the type that thinks punk is Good Charlotte. I described what I consider to be rock and likely what the other poster had in mind. You choose to misrepresent my statement as usual. I won't see your reply so don't bother. Your little vendetta with me is weird. Let it go man.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I said better, not more talented. But yes, I do think broken social scene could convincingly cover rush with ease. I'd argue arcade fire could as well, but Win can't hit those notes. Maybe if Regine gave it a go. Wolf parade or metric wouldn't have much of an issue either. Just naming Canadian bands off the top of my head here.
Again I hardly see them as Rock bands. They are talented but a lot more in the alternative category. Hence why we are at an impasse. I have a rock station were I live that has a pretty loose standard to what is rock. Limp Bizcuit to me is not rock, nor is The Smiths though they are on the same 'rock station'.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Again I hardly see them as Rock bands. They are talented but a lot more in the alternative category. Hence why we are at an impasse. I have a rock station were I live that has a pretty loose standard to what is rock. Limp Bizcuit to me is not rock, nor is The Smiths though they are on the same 'rock station'.
We may be at an impasse, but as much as I loathe limp biscuit and the smiths they're both rock music. Rock is basically the Beatles, Cradle of Filth, and everything in between. Hence the need for sub-genres - indie, punk, alternative, grunge, metal, whatever. Same with electronic music, as no one would argue that drum and bass and daft punk have anything in common other than machines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->