Do any of the prominent Canadian rock bands/artists have noted hockey affiliations?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
For the punk aficionados :

The Hextalls had only hockey related songs like "I don't wanna be a NY Rangers", "I need this Beard for Slaughter" , "J.S Guigere is a robot".

Propaghandi, despite being from Winnipeg are big overall hockey fan, most notably song "Dear Coach corner".

Two Man Advantage was quite know in the NY area, beer league teammates playing punk rock.

Flatfoot 56 are huge Blackhawks fans, being from Chicago.

Rob Zombie is a huge hockey fan, he used to be a Flyers fan and season tickets holder in Los Angeles. Don't know if it's still up in the air but he was preparing a movie about the Broad Street Bullies.

In Flames and notably their frontman Anders Friden are hockey fans, notably of the Frolunda Goteborg (being from that city in Sweden) , when they are touring in US they generally attends nhl games and they fellow swedish compatriots like Hjalmarsson, Krueger back when they played in Chicago and of course Robin Lehner, with several of his buckets with In Flames design.

Last edited:

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Justin Bieber is a Leafs fan. View attachment 144685
selena-gomez-justin-bieber-hockey-game-06.jpg

cut.jpg

images
images

CfKkx33WQAA3VvL.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-05-09_at_5.51.34_PM_sfdugm.jpg

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
For the punk aficionados :

The Hextalls had only hockey related songs like "I don't wanna be a NY Rangers", "I need this Beard for Slaughter" , "J.S Guigere is a robot".

Propaghandi, despite being from Winnipeg are big overall hockey fan, most notably song "Dear Coach corner".

Two Man Advantage was quite know in the NY area, beer league teammates playing punk rock.

Flatfoot 56 are huge Blackhawks fans, being from Chicago.

Rob Zombie is a huge hockey fan, he used to be a Flyers fan and season tickets holder in Los Angeles. Don't know if it's still up in the air but he was preparing a movie about the Broad Street Bullies.

In Flames and notably their frontman Anders Friden are hockey fans, notably of the Frolunda Goteborg (being from that city in Sweden) , when they are touring in US they generally attends nhl games and they fellow swedish compatriots like Hjalmarsson, Krueger back when they played in Chicago and of course Robin Lehner, with several of his buckets with In Flames design.

Al Jourgensen of Ministry is a huge hockey fan. The Sphinctour tour he was recorded on video wearing a Gilmour Leafs jersey and a Blackhawks jersey. He was also married the daughter of a former Flyer's GM.

ThatBaboon

May 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Since everyone decided to ignore the two keywords of "Canadian" and "Prominent"

I'm 99% certain "The Hextalls" are from BC. They got a pop-punk song about JS Giguere. But no one is going to pretend they are "prominent."

Hell, I'm wearing a "Slapshot" crucified goalie shirt right now. But it fails to be Canadian nor prominent. It's a Boston band.

Reactions: burstnbloom

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
In this case he might actually be right though. The Canadian music scene is an embarrassment
Arcade Fire? well if you stay mainstream, yes it is, but bands like Alexisonfire, Comeback Kid, City and Colour, Propagandhi, The Sainte Catherine's, The Flatliners, The Real McKenzies, Cancer Bats...

You just have to dig a little bit...

murray

Oct 6, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I play in the GTHLA in Toronto - the “Good Times Hockey League of the Arts”. It started out as the “Exclaim! League”, Exclaim! being a prominent music publication at the time - it still exists, too.

Anyways, the league has a lot of musicians and artists in it who live in Toronto, as well as some other notables who show up from time to time.

Dave Bidini from the Rheostatics is a league regular, and rarely misses a game. Jim Cuddy from Blue Rodeo pops up here and there, as well as a few members of Sloan. George Strombolopoulis laces ‘em up from time to time, and sports a bunch of Habs pro return gear. Jeff Marek, the Sportsnet guy, used to be a league regular, too.

On top of this, the league hosts a national-level tournament every Easter called the Hockey Summit of the Arts - Alan Hawko from the CBC show Republic of Doyle usually ices a team, which sometimes has former Habs draft pick Terry Ryan on the roster.

Overall, a pretty rad league filled with interesting people.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I like these guys and this particular performance:

I like some of their music. They’re videos are fantastic and they are incredibly talented. That being said. I have been to hundreds of concerts in my life. Bands like U2, Pearl Jam, STP, NIN, Stones etc. this is the best live performance and energetic band I have ever seen. Seen them twice. And I know beard guy is a leaf fan(staying on topic)

Reactions: Hint1k

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The Sam Roberts Band has a few die hard Habs fans in it, including Sam himself.

The Lowest of the Low have a few Maple Leaf fans in the original lineup.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
These threads always turn out the same way. Thread is about bands with actual hockey affiliations, so people start posting bands who are hockey fans instead, and end up with people just posting musicians in hockey jerseys.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sebastian Bach, who was the lead singer of Skid Row during their golden years, is the brother of former Lightning/Wild/Coyotes goaltender Zac Bierk.

Reactions: Dingo44

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Arcade Fire? well if you stay mainstream, yes it is, but bands like Alexisonfire, Comeback Kid, City and Colour, Propagandhi, The Sainte Catherine's, The Flatliners, The Real McKenzies, Cancer Bats...

You just have to dig a little bit...
I remember when people said the same crap about Nickleback before they were mainstream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->