Do any of the prominent Canadian rock bands/artists have noted hockey affiliations?

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I was watching The Band's Last Waltz earlier today and found myself thinking about it for the 4/5 Canadian rock outfit. Then I naturally expanded to others, e.g., BTO, The Guess Who (I know there's overlap), Neil Young, Rush, Alanis Morissette, BNL, and so on.

I figure given the sport's primacy there it's more likely that some of these are well-known.

TYIA

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Hmm.. Wade MacNeil, a punk rock musician from bands Alexisonfire, Gallows and Black Lungs was the composer for the film Goon: Last of the Enforcers. Does that count?

In seriousness, if we start naming musicians who are hockey fans we will be here all day.

For any real connections to the NHL, be it relation, business partnerships or whatever, I can't really think of anything noteworthy.

Reactions: TychoFan

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Hmm.. Wade MacNeil, a punk rock musician from bands Alexisonfire, Gallows and Black Lungs was the composer for the film Goon: Last of the Enforcers. Does that count?

In seriousness, if we start naming musicians who are hockey fans we will be here all day.

For any real connections to the NHL, be it relation, business partnerships or whatever, I can't really think of anything noteworthy.

If there are a lot of very noteworthy Canadian acts, I'd be curious on the fan connections of at least some of them. The Neil Young thing above is exactly what I was after. Being American, I think I'm less likely to just come across than our siblings to the North.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Comeback Kid - die hard Winnipeg Jets fans
Dropkick Murphy's - Boston
Alexisonfire - Toronto Maple Leafs
The band Slapshot have nhl fights screened during their shows
Every Time I Die - hardcore Sabres fans

Russ Rankin from the band Good Riddance is a pro scout for the Kootenay Ice.

Just in general seeing how a brand like Violent Gentlemen is linked with Punk Rock and Metal show how close hockey and rock are.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I think Anne Murray is a caps fan, or is it the other way around?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Justin Bieber is a Leafs fan.
justin_Bieber_-_Rick_Clifford-1-2_copy.jpg

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
Comeback Kid - die hard Winnipeg Jets fans
Dropkick Murphy's - Boston
Alexisonfire - Toronto Maple Leafs
The band Slapshot have nhl fights screened during their shows
Every Time I Die - hardcore Sabres fans

Russ Rankin from the band Good Riddance is a pro scout for the Kootenay Ice.

Just in general seeing how a brand like Violent Gentlemen is linked with Punk Rock and Metal show how close hockey and rock are.
I did not know this thank you

Reactions: Steven

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Didn't some Canadian rock band create a 'goal song' for the Senators?

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Billy talent are leaf fans, I know for a fact Ben is at least a leafs fan

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Sully Erna(Godsmack) is a Flames fan, I believe he became a fan when his buddy Mike Sullivan played for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->