Player Discussion Dmitry Orlov

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Easy answer. The pizza/60 league leader is Subban for sure. He makes great plays but he also turns the puck over a lot.
I agree. Subban has made some of the worst turnovers I have ever seen in over 40 years of watching hockey. I mean brutal turnovers late in games that literally cost the Canadians several games. My favorite play by Subban was the double spinarama in front of his own net leading to a breakaway goal the other way.

Reactions: Fixxer

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Brent Burns has 5.71 giveaways/60 and leads the NHL in that category.
This stat doesn't tell you everything. Of course players that carry the puck a lot are going turnover the puck more often than others. Its the degree of turnovers. A lot of turnovers aren't bad turnovers. Some are just nothing plays resulting in nothing but a quick chance of possession. Some turnovers might take a scoring chance away from your team. The bad ones are the ones that result in scoring chances against your team. To really know the affect of turnovers you have to see the game. You can't just look at the numbers. A few games ago I thought Carlson played a pretty strong game but the stats said he turned the puck over 7 times in that game. None of them came back to haunt us. I was actually surprised he was even credited with that many. I'm not even sure how statisticians even decide what va turnover is. I've seen some brutal turnovers that have resulted in goals but for some reason the wasn't given credit for a turnover.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree. Subban has made some of the worst turnovers I have ever seen in over 40 years of watching hockey. I mean brutal turnovers late in games that literally cost the Canadians several games. My favorite play by Subban was the double spinarama in front of his own net leading to a breakaway goal the other way.

Subban always tries to do too much, but he didn't have many options when he played in Montreal. His teammates had no skill and the only other guy on the blue line that could move the puck was Markov.

Therrien's system put Subban in a position to fail. Now in Nashville, Subban still takes a lot of risk but it often pays off because he has very talented teammates that can make things happen off of his high risk high reward plays.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I know that turnovers are a pretty meaningless stat. Just thought I’d share it.
You are right about Burns though. He lead the NHL
Subban always tries to do too much, but he didn't have many options when he played in Montreal. His teammates had no skill and the only other guy on the blue line that could move the puck was Markov.

Therrien's system put Subban in a position to fail. Now in Nashville, Subban still takes a lot of risk but it often pays off because he has very talented teammates that can make things happen off of his high risk high reward plays.
I agree that Subban has improved his game since being in Nashville. I'm sure the strong dcore around him has helped. He definately has the skill. That has never been his problem.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You are right about Burns though. He lead the NHL

I agree that Subban has improved his game since being in Nashville. I'm sure the strong dcore around him has helped. He definately has the skill. That has never been his problem.

The thing that Orlov improved the most on over the past few years is the knowledge of when to join the attack or when to sit back and let the forwards carry the play. That comes with years of experience. I think Orlov has the potential to score more goals than he does now. He has sick hands and a powerful slap shot.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The thing that Orlov improved the most on over the past few years is the knowledge of when to join the attack or when to sit back and let the forwards carry the play. That comes with years of experience. I think Orlov has the potential to score more goals than he does now. He has sick hands and a powerful slap shot.
I agree. I think he is our number 2 defence man right now. I do have to admit he does play better with Niskanen in the lineup.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The thing with Orlov is that we have two good 2-way RHDs he can play with. So Caps can comfortably use Orlov's skills.

He's still not that old and can learn to be better defensively I guess. We will see.

If only Caps had another top-4 LD of the same level (and 10 years younger than Mr Orpik).

PS: Also I think Orpik's influence on Orlov is there too. He has someone to ask the questions if he has any.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Hi Caps Fans!
Preds fan coming in peace. Just wanted to get some feedback on the play of Orlov this season. Is it just me or is he taking a step backwards? He is not producing offensively I see.
Are you guys happy with him or is he in the doghouse?

Thanks in advance and best of luck in the playoffs,

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Hi Caps Fans!
Preds fan coming in peace. Just wanted to get some feedback on the play of Orlov this season. Is it just me or is he taking a step backwards? He is not producing offensively I see.

Hasn’t taken that next step he’s capable of. Poor season overall so far

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Caps Fans!

Yeah you're right. Quite frankly, he's terrible this year.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Hi Caps Fans!

He’s been so consistent I give him the benefit of the doubt but this is the worst he’s played. Really feel like he performed like a top 30-50 defenseman every previous year so I guess with injury or conditioning issue.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Orlov has the talent and skills of high-end forwards - he should be putting up 40-plus points every season. He’s definitely capable of playing better, but, I do think that he’s been bogged down a bit by playing with Niskanen, who has been really inconsistent this season (not that Orlov hasn’t made his own mistakes, too).

I hope his play continues to improve - I still view him as a core piece going forward.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Orlov and niskanen have both been underwhelming and inconsistent this season. Whether or not they get back to where they were last year will be more meaningful for the rest of the season than any realistic trade the team may do.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd like to see him away from Niskanen for a significant period of time to see if things improve for both of them. The pairing had been doing better in recent games but the overall trend is still down and is still concerning.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Top-pairing, all situations defender.

Love to see players develop like this.

I still think he's capable of 40-plus point seasons, but, I have no problem w/ him being around 30ish, while playing stud and safe D. He certainly has the talent to do it all and he busts his ass off.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Top-pairing, all situations defender.

Love to see players develop like this.

I still think he's capable of 40-plus point seasons, but, I have no problem w/ him being around 30ish, while playing stud and safe D. He certainly has the talent to do it all and he busts his ass off.

If he got JC74s PP1 time his point total would soar.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
To an extent. He doesn't fit and it wouldn't work the same way. Where he on a team that could use a left shot defenseman on their pp1 he could be a legit 1d. It wont happen with the Capitals

Not so sure it wouldn't fit. JC as a right shot, makes his one timers from the right side (from Backie usually). If we put Orlov as a lefty out there, he would be getting his one timers from Ovi instead. JC and Ovi pass back and forth a ton, but JC can't one time from Ovi. So ultimately changing the hand of the D on the point would just mean they one time from Ovi instead of from Backie, not sure how that "would not fit" so much.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Not so sure it wouldn't fit. JC as a right shot, makes his one timers from the right side (from Backie usually). If we put Orlov as a lefty out there, he would be getting his one timers from Ovi instead. JC and Ovi pass back and forth a ton, but JC can't one time from Ovi. So ultimately changing the hand of the D on the point would just mean they one time from Ovi instead of from Backie, not sure how that "would not fit" so much.

I think what Tex is referring to is the fact that Ovi on the left point is a right shot and we always try to feed one-timers to him. Carlson as a righty, can easily one-touch feed him and make passes to him faster - as a RHD - than it would take a LHD to catch a pass from the right and have to pass it on a backhand or open up their body to pass on their forehand. It can work and it has before, but, timing is better, quicker, and more effective with RHDs being able to funnel it to Ovi more quickly.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think what Tex is referring to is the fact that Ovi on the left point is a right shot and we always try to feed one-timers to him. Carlson as a righty, can easily one-touch feed him and make passes to him faster - as a RHD - than it would take a LHD to catch a pass from the right and have to pass it on a backhand or open up their body to pass on their forehand. It can work and it has before, but, timing is better, quicker, and more effective with RHDs being able to funnel it to Ovi more quickly.

I'd just like to see them try it anyway... maybe a few less shorties this way LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->