Dmitry Orlov w/ a goal of the year nominee...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
how do you guys listen to that color commentator every game

We don't take him seriously. I listen to him only when he's making jokes.

As for the thread, Orlov is one of the best D in the league for sure at stickhandling. His hands are on par with a lot of skilled forwards, you don't expect a D to stickhandle that well.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Klingberg showing why he's an offensive defenseman. Was a great move on him, but the goal itself looked better than it was because of Bishop's failed poke-check, windmill roll. I don't know what he was thinking, but great job by Orlov to take it to the net for the goal.
seriously, what the hell was that poke check? you're 6'13", how about you try and use that size?

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
seriously, what the hell was that poke check? you're 6'13", how about you try and use that size?

Yeah, that was my thought too, just stay there, lol. I'm not trying to detract from Orlov's goal either, I just think that ridiculous move from Bishop made it look more dramatic. Bishop was not good in this game.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
If Klingbeg is a Norris Trophy candidate, people should remember this goal before they vote. The guy is great offensively but this was pretty bad.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
If Klingbeg is a Norris Trophy candidate, people should remember this goal before they vote. The guy is great offensively but this was pretty bad.
People should also remember that a good play made by a player does not make another player bad.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What a nasty goal. What I love about Orlov is that he tries that kind of shit. :laugh:.

Everyone always talks up the Swedes but the Russians have some very good dmen just starting to blossom.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Nifty puck move between feet Looks like Orlov’s signature move from previous highlights
I’m going to try that at practice next time

I think the Henrique goal was better and harder to pull off.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, that was my thought too, just stay there, lol. I'm not trying to detract from Orlov's goal either, I just think that ridiculous move from Bishop made it look more dramatic. Bishop was not good in this game.

Its funny. Fans of teams playing the Capitals say that all the time. I mean that seriously. When the Caps play well, something about their game makes the other team look bad. I don't believe teams see the Capitals coming and take the night off all the time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Come on. With regularity Ovechkin and Kuznetsov make some of the best D in the league look beer league.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY

You can't hit someone when you can't line him up. This is why observing/manipulating a defender's skates is important when deking. When Orlov shifted from going inside to outside, you cannot line that hit up or even get in the path. That's why hitting guys on skates in the NHL is not as easy as you think. Even the pull move between the legs is a fake from inside [shot] to outside that happens in a split second. You can't possibly shift your weight and adjust in time because they sold inside first. They're already gone by the time you follow back outside.

Here's 1 against super-D Duncan Keith:

Last edited:

Spotty 2 Hotty

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Its funny. Fans of teams playing the Capitals say that all the time. I mean that seriously. When the Caps play well, something about their game makes the other team look bad. I don't believe teams see the Capitals coming and take the night off all the time.

The only players that show up every night for the Stars are Gemel Smith and Alex Radulov, though Alex usually takes stupid penalties because he gets a little too overzealous at times, so it's not just the Capitals the Stars have had an issue with. Bishop has also not been great this season, look at the stats (can't blame his numbers just on bad defense).

That being said, overall the Stars played pretty well despite the Caps dominating them physically and I don't think it would've gone to OT without Holtby's brainfart on allowing Radulov's goal. So im not at all equating the Caps game to the Stars being bad, I was just commenting on wtf was Bishop thinking. Maybe he just panicked because he saw Orlov and the Caps charging toward his net, lol.

You know it is possible to give a player props while acknowledging the wtf involved (the pokecheck attempt) as well. The Caps definitely deserved the win, no question. It was an entertaining game.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
You can't hit someone when you can't line him up. This is why observing/manipulating a defender's skates is important when deking. When Orlov shifted from going inside to outside, you cannot line that hit up or even get in the path. That's why hitting guys on skates in the NHL is not as easy as you think. Even the pull move between the legs is a fake from inside [shot] to outside that happens in a split second.
He waant talking about Klingberg, he was referring to Bishop going for the pokecheck as opposed to just keeping the bottom of the net sealed to at least challenge Orlov.

Reactions: tny760

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
That was nice. We are really seeing the skill level of players in the league going up right now and I like it.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
People should also remember that a good play made by a player does not make another player bad.

True, but Klingberg got walked by Ovie earlier in the game on what should have been a nothing play. Ovie just missed the net.

Not saying that means he's a bad D, just that he looked bad last night on at least a couple of plays.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Great move by a D, but Klingberg bit like a rabid racoon.
Nice player, but guys like him and other one-trick offensive d-men should never be mentioned in a sentence with Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad