Prospect Info: Dmitry Kuzmin - 82 overall - LHD

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
What a waste of a pick. Another weird choice with Roman Schmidt still on the board.

If this isn't evidence of the gap between our scouting and our coach - I don't know what is.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Scouching report on Kuzmin is quite positive while pointing out some of his limitations and flaws:

Summarizing that: Kuzmin was quite effective at both ends of the ice while playing on a relatively weak men’s team in Belarus. He had good results in shot suppression and drove a lot of the offence when he was on the ice. His quickness is an asset but he needs to improve his skating in order to better compensate for his smaller size and lack of strength. He’s got good puck skills and is fun to watch.

Seems very comparable to the Johannesson pick last year, who I believe Scouching was also high on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In his post-draft presser, I thought it was interesting that Chevy mentioned that Kuzmin hadn't really been on the Jets' scouting radar until the U-18. I think many NHL teams, including the Jets, tend to zone in on relatively small list of prospects (maybe 75-100) that they dig deep on, and Kuzmin wasn't one of those. But his stand-out skill on display at the U-18 got the Jets' scouting staff to scramble and dig deeper into Kuzmin through video and maybe some further interviews. So, it seems he was a later addition to the Jets' draft list.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg

Kuzmin should be #4, white jersey.

Thanks for posting this. Kuzmin with the assist with 7:16 left in the first to tie the game 1-1. Blue line to blue line pass that resulted in shot and rebound goal.

I think Kuzmin wears #4 as it signifies fourth forward. He is often in with the first wave of forwards on the breakouts. He received a lead pass at the offensive blue line and tried a between the legs shot from the top of the crease.

Reactions: Pan and Mathil8

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
In his post-draft presser, I thought it was interesting that Chevy mentioned that Kuzmin hadn't really been on the Jets' scouting radar until the U-18. I think many NHL teams, including the Jets, tend to zone in on relatively small list of prospects (maybe 75-100) that they dig deep on, and Kuzmin wasn't one of those. But his stand-out skill on display at the U-18 got the Jets' scouting staff to scramble and dig deeper into Kuzmin through video and maybe some further interviews. So, it seems he was a later addition to the Jets' draft list.
Not surprised Mo almost dismissed the little guy, who admittedly needs work. But as we all know, Mo is the last coach ever to go home and say..”Honey, I shrunk the D”.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Kuzmin is having a great first season in Flint. Currently, the five-foot-ten-inch defenseman has 15 goals, 21 assists, and a plus-6 plus/minus in 49 regular-season games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad