Confirmed with Link: Djoos to Anahiem for Daniel Sprong

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Djoos had a cap hit of $1.2 million, but $1.075 million of that was buried in the minors. Sprong's cap hit is $750k and he's restricted. Once the playoffs start I believe your allowed to call up 4 players. From now till the end of regular season, the Caps have $125k more cap room to call up a player. And now you know why BMac had the Habs retain 50% of Kovy's $700k cap hit.

LD is a position of strength in terms of our prospects, so this was a move that made some sense.

I think starting at midnight today (Trade Deadline Day over) and going straight through the playoffs, you can call up as many players as you want with no salary cap restrictions or ramifications as long as they are on your 50 man contract list. There are no more roster size restrictions now.

Calling up a whole bunch of guys now would demolish your AHL team of course, but once AHL playoffs is over for that team, go buck wild.

Edit: oh wait, teams are restricted formerly for 4 non-emergency callups from their professional minor league teams until that affiliate is out of their respective postseasons. So it is a formal restriction, I was wrong I see now. Unlimited callups can be used for any other prospect from any other leagues that is not the AHL and the ECHL.

I thought it was just a courtesy not to do that to your minor league affiliates. So you were right.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think starting at midnight today (Trade Deadline Day over) and going straight through the playoffs, you can call up as many players as you want with no salary cap restrictions or ramifications as long as they are on your 50 man contract list. There are no more roster size restrictions now.

Calling up a whole bunch of guys now would demolish your AHL team of course, but once AHL playoffs is over for that team, go buck wild.

No salary cap begins when the playoffs start.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm really surprised no one did their homework on Sprong! He scored 14 goals in 47 games for the Ducks last season. Let that sink in for a minute. 14 goals on a Ducks team who have issues scoring goals! At age 22 he is still young. The way I look at it, BMac probably wouldn't have qualified Djoos for next season and he becomes a FA and get nothing for it. We got value back in a forward who might be a fringe 3rd liner(I say that because he did score 14 NHL goals in less than 3/4 of a season last year), but probably a 4th liner. He might be a better option than Boyd, who is not good at back-checking either.

Djoos had a cap hit of $1.2 million, but $1.075 million of that was buried in the minors. Sprong's cap hit is $750k and he's restricted. Once the playoffs start I believe your allowed to call up 4 players. From now till the end of regular season, the Caps have $125k more cap room to call up a player. And now you know why BMac had the Habs retain 50% of Kovy's $700k cap hit.

LD is a position of strength in terms of our prospects, so this was a move that made some sense.

Comparisons Sake:

Sprong 89 games 28 pts(18 g, 10 a), but only age 22
Boyd 85 games 31 pts(8 g, 23 a), but already age 26

Sprong is a bit of reclamation project but is a rfa, so his cap cost is controlled. At age 26, Boyd is restricted too but my guess is BMac might be more inclined to not qualify him next season.

That should tell you something about Sprong. He is Brandon Pirri without the ability to play a full NHL game even as fleeting as Pirri did.

Reactions: Hivemind

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
No salary cap begins when the playoffs start.

Yep you are right.

Want to beat the NHL salary cap? Here's how:

During the NHL playoffs, the salary cap is null and void. When Kane returned from injury in time for Game 1 of the first round, the Hawks were fielding a team in excess of $74 million dollars.

Pittsburgh also famously circumvented the salary cap during the 2012-2013 season when they acquired Jussi Jokinen, Douglas Murray, Brendan Morrow and Jarome Iginla and added them to a team that already featured the huge contracts of Crosby, Malkin and expensive players like James Neal, Paul Martin, Chris Kunitz and Marc-Andre Fleury.

Plus once the playoffs start, you only have 4 non-emergency call-up reserves.

Doesnt matter playoff time or not. It only matters when your minor league affiliate's season has ended. After that you can do however many callups as you want.

After the NHL trade deadline, an NHL team is limited to four non-emergency callups from their minor league affiliates until their AHL or ECHL affiliate's season has ended (that is, callups from the AHL or ECHL who are not replacing injured players).

Following the end of a team's AHL or ECHL affiliate's season, unlimited callups are allowed, provided that a player is signed to one of its 50 contract slots.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm really surprised no one did their homework on Sprong! He scored 14 goals in 47 games for the Ducks last season. Let that sink in for a minute. 14 goals on a Ducks team who have issues scoring goals! At age 22 he is still young. The way I look at it, BMac probably wouldn't have qualified Djoos for next season and he becomes a FA and get nothing for it. We got value back in a forward who might be a fringe 3rd liner(I say that because he did score 14 NHL goals in less than 3/4 of a season last year), but probably a 4th liner. He might be a better option than Boyd, who is not good at back-checking either.

Comparisons Sake:

Sprong 89 games 28 pts(18 g, 10 a), but only age 22
Boyd 85 games 31 pts(8 g, 23 a), but already age 26

Sprong is a bit of reclamation project but is a rfa, so his cap cost is controlled. At age 26, Boyd is restricted too but my guess is BMac might be more inclined to not qualify him next season.

Here's the homework I did on Sprong: the Penguins are probably the best team in the league at churning out forwards and they cut bait on Sprong who they drafted 46th overall when he was only 21. The Pens were so high on him that he made the team out of camp as a second round pick. He scored 32 goals for WBS in 2017-18 and then was traded the next season. After he was traded he scored 14 goals last season, but the bottom-feeding Ducks team that has scored the third-lowest amount of goals this season has kept him buried in the AHL for almost all of this season. Seems like he has some goal scoring talent and not much else to offer. I would be pretty shocked if he ever wore a Capitals jersey.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
I’m all for taking a flier on Sprong....Djoos wasnt going to get us much anyways, and we’re set at LD for the foreseeable future with Orlov, Siegenthaler, Feharavary and Alexeyev

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It would be Pittsburgh, and they gave up on Sprong.

What recent promising offensive prospect has Washington’s development system done well with? There’s Vrana and that’s it. Leason is having a poor season. Gersich looks like he’s likely to be on the AHL side of the fringe area, and his only real path left to the NHL is as an energy guy. Barber didn’t pan out. Galiev didn’t pan out. Burakovsky skipped the AHL development program, and looks better than ever now that he left Washington. Stephenson was looking like a 4th liner for the Caps, but is fitting in higher in the VGK lineup.

The Washington/Hershey pipeline hasn’t exactly excelled at turning borderline guys into quality NHL forwards in a long time.
Posted so nice, we saw it twice.

ummmm

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That should tell you something about Sprong. He is Brandon Pirri without the ability to play a full NHL game even as fleeting as Pirri did.
Do any of us swarm and post on Pens board like guys like this do here?

Serious question. It’s a little “we are in their head” stuff, IMO. Personally, I’m never on Pens board. But that’s just me

Reactions: crab and g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Here's the homework I did on Sprong: the Penguins are probably the best team in the league at churning out forwards and they cut bait on Sprong who they drafted 46th overall when he was only 21. The Pens were so high on him that he made the team out of camp as a second round pick. He scored 32 goals for WBS in 2017-18 and then was traded the next season. After he was traded he scored 14 goals last season, but the bottom-feeding Ducks team that has scored the third-lowest amount of goals this season has kept him buried in the AHL for almost all of this season. Seems like he has some goal scoring talent and not much else to offer. I would be pretty shocked if he ever wore a Capitals jersey.
Probably true.

he’s either got a talent gap (not fixable)...or an aptitude gap (probably not fixable)....or an attitude gap (far more fixable)?!?!

I am certain the teams that dropped him will pick #1 or #2.....and are probably right. But then again, the same was said about Brett Connolly. So we will see

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Do any of us swarm and post on Pens board like guys like this do here?

Serious question. It’s a little “we are in their head” stuff, IMO. Personally, I’m never on Pens board. But that’s just me

You realize Sprong was the Penguins most highly rated prospect literally a year and a half ago right?

Why would we not be interested in him?

Reactions: Sam Spade

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Pens fan here. I've always thought Sprong as a poor man's Kovalchuk. Even the way he skates and his release is actually pretty similar. Offensively the skills are there to be a 30 goal scorer but every other part of his game needs major work. If he ever manages to put it together he could be a steal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It is pretty weird. Especially considering Djoos had a similar Sprong like back and forth in your fan base as well.

Hard to hope he does well, as it probably means he spanks us, but I could see him doing okay.
It's odd to me how quickly they cut bait. It seems like he went from top-rated prospect to the doghouse and traded in no time at all, and it's especially weird to me seeing as a top six scoring winger to play with Sid or Geno has always been a position of need for the Pens.

I know he got hurt which probably stunted his development but did he and Sullivan clash? I can't imagine they gave him up for MP just because they were dealing from a position of strength to a shore up a position of weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad