Confirmed with Link: Djoos to Anahiem for Daniel Sprong

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sprong had 32 + 33 for WBS his rookie season in the AHL. Could be a decent reclamation project if they can get him to play any kind of defense. If not, Hershey gets another prolific AHL goal scorer for Djoos, who probably was wanting a fresh start.

I'd assume Djoos plays the rest of the year in Anaheim

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Pens fan. Sprong can shoot, can't do anything else. Doesn't have the hockey IQ needed for the NHL level, and the concept of puck possession seems completely alien to him. When board battles are happening, he seems to just stand flat footed and gawk, waiting for someone to pass him the puck so that he can shoot. I see that all the time in my d league inline games, but I've never seen an NHL player so consistently guilty of doing that. He also seems to think that because of his natural abilities, he doesn't need to get much better at the finer details (according to rumors we heard while he was here). I wouldn't get too excited about him

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Seems like GMBM did right by Djoos instead of right by the organization. Happy for Djoos if he gets his shot in Anaheim because he should be playing in the NHL but I think we got hosed.

How much was Djoos really worth? a 4th/5th maybe?

Hosed is a little much

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Pens fan here... and I have taken abuse on our boards since we traded the Surly Sniper.

They laugh, they giggle and they continually bring this topic up as an example that I don't understand the sport.

Well I do, and I will tell you this, you may have found a gem. Our meathead coach never gave him a legit shot in the top 6. They then sent him to an even worse fit in Anaheim. I loathe the Caps, with respect, but I will be rooting for Sprong to light it up... and deal a little humble pie to our arrogant Coach, soff GM and some of more arrogant fanbase.

PS. Gangster Surly Sniper was my favorite.

cut.jpeg

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Pens fan here... and I have taken abuse on our boards since we traded the Surly Sniper.

They laugh, they giggle and they continually bring this topic up as an example that I don't understand the sport.

Well I do, and I will tell you this, you may have found a gem. Our meathead coach never gave him a legit shot in the top 6. They then sent him to an even worse fit in Anaheim. I loathe the Caps, with respect, but I will be rooting for Sprong to light it up... and deal a little humble pie to our arrogant Coach, soff GM and some of more arrogant fanbase.

cut.jpeg
Thanks for the info. I do like a big shot

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Seems like GMBM did right by Djoos instead of right by the organization. Happy for Djoos if he gets his shot in Anaheim because he should be playing in the NHL but I think we got hosed.

IINM, he would have been a UFA this year, no? I mean his arbitration was what caused him to get stuck in Hershey all year. So we got something, instead of nothing, right?

Or was he UFA next year not this coming summer?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

cut.jpeg

Looks like we just traded for Vanilla Ice' younger brother?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Pens fan. Sprong can shoot, can't do anything else. Doesn't have the hockey IQ needed for the NHL level, and the concept of puck possession seems completely alien to him. When board battles are happening, he seems to just stand flat footed and gawk, waiting for someone to pass him the puck so that he can shoot. I see that all the time in my d league inline games, but I've never seen an NHL player so consistently guilty of doing that. He also seems to think that because of his natural abilities, he doesn't need to get much better at the finer details (according to rumors we heard while he was here). I wouldn't get too excited about him
He’s a 22yr old AHL forward on his 3rd franchise in his young career.

I think it’s safe to say no one is “excited” about him. Curious, is probably a better word.

Djoos has been passed by a slew of players. So unfortunately he was very redundant for the Cap. Heck, even for Hershey.

so good luck to him

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
IINM, he would have been a UFA this year, no? I mean his arbitration was what caused him to get stuck in Hershey all year. So we got something, instead of nothing, right?

Or was he UFA next year not this coming summer?
RFA but the QO wouldn't have been given so essentially UFA barring trading his rights beforehand (which at that number wouldn't have had any value).

Sprong has another two seasons before he's UFA. Best-case maybe he can develop in Hershey and be an injury replacement depth scorer if need be. Not sure you ideally want him taking up an AHL spot over Leason but it's not like they've got anyone joining Hershey next season up front as-is barring some NCAA signings.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

cut.jpeg

None of that sounds very good.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Hmmm, we already have this guy on the Caps.... he now has 700 NHL goals. Maybe this formula can work for Sprong too?

/S

Reactions: Raikkonen

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wish they had just traded Djoos for a pick. Not a ton of runway left for Sprong to find his NHL potential. Should be a boost to Hershey, but he’s basically got one more season to try and carve out an NHL role and he’ll be competing against CMM and Protas turning pro.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Dumb move. Djoos is better than #5 or 6. Jensen should have been moved.
GMBM doesn’t trade his guys.

panik, Hathaway, Eller, and Jensen all role players he recently gave long term deals to.

for better or worse - gmbm staying loyal to the guys he gives long contracts to. Which being still a relatively new gm - probably a good move.

jensen is actually represented believe it or not by a pretty large agent. If he gets traded one year after being traded to and then Immediately getting a 4 year deal - it looks bad - which is why I don’t mind it.

caps somehow got Kovalchuk and Dillon without giving up a single player or a 1st rd pick. I am happy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If there’s one development program that can get the most out of promising offensive prospects...
It would be Pittsburgh, and they gave up on Sprong.

What recent promising offensive prospect has Washington’s development system done well with? There’s Vrana and that’s it. Leason is having a poor season. Gersich looks like he’s likely to be on the AHL side of the fringe area, and his only real path left to the NHL is as an energy guy. Barber didn’t pan out. Galiev didn’t pan out. Burakovsky skipped the AHL development program, and looks better than ever now that he left Washington. Stephenson was looking like a 4th liner for the Caps, but is fitting in higher in the VGK lineup.

The Washington/Hershey pipeline hasn’t exactly excelled at turning borderline guys into quality NHL forwards in a long time.

Reactions: zappa4ever

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If there’s one development program that can get the most out of promising offensive prospects...
It would be Pittsburgh, and they gave up on Sprong.

What recent promising offensive prospect has Washington’s development system done well with? There’s Vrana and that’s it. Leason is having a poor season. Gersich looks like he’s likely to be on the AHL side of the fringe area, and his only real path left to the NHL is as an energy guy. Barber didn’t pan out. Galiev didn’t pan out. Burakovsky skipped the AHL development program, and looks better than ever now that he left Washington. Stephenson was looking like a 4th liner for the Caps, but is fitting in higher in the VGK lineup.

The Washington/Hershey pipeline hasn’t exactly excelled at turning borderline guys into quality NHL forwards in a long time.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Well, yeah... until CMM they pretty much hadn’t drafted a skilled forward since Vrana.

Pitt didn’t fail at developing him, they traded from a position of strength to help out a position of need, defense.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
Djoos almost priced himself out of Washington with his 1-year $1.25M arbitration deal. Now he's an RFA again this summer and I doubt he'll make less. We simply don't have room for him and we don't need an undersized and soft defenceman like him.

We have Siegenthaler (RFA), Fehervary, and Alexeyev coming up. We already have Carlson, Orlov, and Kempny. Jensen is still under contract unless we actually trade him.

It all depends on how these playoffs go along with news approaching July 1st, but I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Dillon and/or Gudas.

We're projected to have about $10M in cap space this summer. So along with re-signing Siegs and/or Dillon+Gudas, we still need to get another goalie unless we plan to use Vanacek or Copley as backup.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm really surprised no one did their homework on Sprong! He scored 14 goals in 47 games for the Ducks last season. Let that sink in for a minute. 14 goals on a Ducks team who have issues scoring goals! At age 22 he is still young. The way I look at it, BMac probably wouldn't have qualified Djoos for next season and he becomes a FA and get nothing for it. We got value back in a forward who might be a fringe 3rd liner(I say that because he did score 14 NHL goals in less than 3/4 of a season last year), but probably a 4th liner. He might be a better option than Boyd, who is not good at back-checking either.

Djoos had a cap hit of $1.2 million, but $1.075 million of that was buried in the minors. Sprong's cap hit is $750k and he's restricted. Once the playoffs start I believe your allowed to call up 4 players. From now till the end of regular season, the Caps have $125k more cap room to call up a player. And now you know why BMac had the Habs retain 50% of Kovy's $700k cap hit.

LD is a position of strength in terms of our prospects, so this was a move that made some sense.

Comparisons Sake:

Sprong 89 games 28 pts(18 g, 10 a), but only age 22
Boyd 85 games 31 pts(8 g, 23 a), but already age 26

Sprong is a bit of reclamation project but is a rfa, so his cap cost is controlled. At age 26, Boyd is restricted too but my guess is BMac might be more inclined to not qualify him next season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I will always remember Djoos for never filling out of course, and more so for being bailed out by Orpik in the finals. Djoos was trying to man up in front and losing, and Orpik saw that hustled over and saved a goal... maybe game 4 or 5.

He NEEDS to play with a vet homer. Or, be moved to forward. His biggest trait was his poise with the puck the few moments he had it, and vision. A guy that light if not fast, really has to bring it in other ways.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad