Divisional Report Card

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
Seasons over, there has always been a long lasting debate over which is the weaker/stronger division since season match-ups are dominantly divisional it unquestionably plays a role in end of season point totals. So I encourage lots of cherry picked stats to try and plead your case......... for fun.

A couple of easy ones and yes I am a cherry picking Central Division Homer.

AVGTeamP%

Metro - 92%
Atlantic - 91.3%
Central - 92.5%
Pacific - 87.25%

Goals Diff Totals

Metro - (+6)
Atlantic - (+27)
Central - (+52)
Pacific - (-85)

All outside teams points earned vs. Division adjusted to avg PPG in lieu of different divisional game formats.

Metro - 1.085
Atlantic - 1.120
Central - 1.053
Pacific - 1.172

Division AVG PTS earned Adj vs Opposing Conference

Central vs East - 1.165
Pacific vs East - 1.258

Metro vs West - 1.137
Atlantic vs West- 1.129

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
There's a good amount of current playoff teams that wouldn't have 100 points this season if they played in the central

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Seasons over, there has always been a long lasting debate over which is the weaker/stronger division since season match-ups are dominantly divisional it unquestionably plays a role in end of season point totals. So I encourage lots of cherry picked stats to try and plead your case......... for fun.

A couple of easy ones and yes I am a cherry picking Central Division Homer.

AVGTeamP%

Metro - 92%
Atlantic - 91.3%
Central - 92.5%
Pacific - 87.25%

Goals Diff Totals

Metro - (+6)
Atlantic - (+27)
Central - (+104)
Pacific - (-82)

All outside teams points earned vs. Division adjusted to avg PPG in lieu of different divisional game formats.

Metro - 1.085
Atlantic - 1.120
Central - 1.053
Pacific - 1.172

Division AVG PTS earned Adj vs Opposing Conference

Central vs East - 1.165
Pacific vs East - 1.258

Metro vs West - 1.137
Atlantic vs West- 1.129

How can this sum be anything other than zero?

Reactions: DaveG

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
How can this sum be anything other than zero?

Can't tell if you're serious or not. But this is a difference in goals scored based on last yer, this means more goals were scored this year compared to last year (except for the Pacific division who scored less).

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
If looking at divisions as a whole the central is still probably king, the plus/minus IMO is the best indicator of strength top to bottom. However, if I was a contender I would rather play in the Central than the Atlantic for example as I think it’s easier going through the Central/West than the Atlantic/East.

Basically, if you just want to make the playoffs, the Atlantic is easier, as you can pile up points against 3 of the bottom 5 teams (including the worst team in the league). If you want to win the cup however, I would rather play in the Central.

Reactions: Hockey Tears

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Can't tell if you're serious or not. But this is a difference in goals scored based on last yer, this means more goals were scored this year compared to last year (except for the Pacific division who scored less).
This is abjectly incorrect and false. At least, if it is correct, it in NO WAY reflects anything close to a STANDARD GOAL DIFFERENTIAL tally. Are you serious?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
These ratings as a whole and the comments in this thread somehow misrepresent the fact that the Metro division is quite clearly the most difficult division overall. I think all these stats misrepresent what happens when the teams IN DIVISION just BEAT THE HELL OUT OF ONE ANOTHER. The Metro is a Survival Series of BLOWS by HAMMER.

Reactions: kicksavedave

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Too lazy to do a proper stat search, but do you guys think Chicago would have fought for the WC in the East? Considering the last 3 teams in the race (Montreal, Columbus, Carolina), I would think they would have fared well. No?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Too lazy to do a proper stat search, but do you guys think Chicago would have fought for the WC in the East? Considering the last 3 teams in the race (Montreal, Columbus, Carolina), I would think they would have fared well. No?
The Blackhawks finished with 84PTs, a full 14PTs BELOW the East WC (CBJ). So NO they WOULDN’T have fared well. The EAST had a team (Mtl) miss the playoffs with 96PTs while three WEST Teams finished with fewer PTs and MADE the POs.

Two teams in the EAST (Mtl and Fla) and one team in the WEST (Ari) that DIDN’T make the POs also finished with more PTs than the Blackhawks.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Well they were behind Dallas, Colorado and Arizona in the west so I dont see why it would have been any different

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
The Blackhawks finished with 84PTs, a full 14PTs BELOW the East WC (CBJ). So NO they WOULDN’T have fared well. The EAST had a team (Mtl) miss the playoffs with 96PTs while three WEST Teams finished with fewer PTs and MADE the POs.

Two teams in the EAST (Mtl and Fla) and one team in the WEST (Ari) that DIDN’T make the POs also finished with more PTs than the Blackhawks.
It's not linear. Chicago played more West games than East and vice versa for East teams.

I still don't think they'd have earned a WC spot.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
For me the Central's the best division in the league. 5 playoff teams including a very good Blues team and a Stars team that may make some noise in the playoffs.

Atlantic is the worst, teams like Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa really bring the division down.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
For me the Central's the best division in the league. 5 playoff teams including a very good Blues team and a Stars team that may make some noise in the playoffs.

Atlantic is the worst, teams like Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa really bring the division down.

Yeah. Between the Atlantic and Pacific as the dog shit divisions. The top two in each division is quite good, then there's a bit of a drop, then there's a bigger drop, then there's a huge drop.

Reactions: tony d

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Yes but they would not have the same points total in the East. I'm not saying they would dominate the East but with players like Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, etc. I would have thought that they could challenge the likes of Montreal, Columbus, Carolina and Florida.

But I did my little instigation, and Chicago's record against the East this year is 32-16-13-3 good for 35 points in 32 games, or an 89 points pace over 82 games, which, while better than their West record, suggests that they did not perform incredibly better against Eastern teams.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think we can all agree that the Pacific is last. The other three feature extreme differences -from balanced to top-heavy- that could go in any order and I wouldn't object.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
It's not linear. Chicago played more West games than East and vice versa for East teams.

I still don't think they'd have earned a WC spot.
They wouldn’t have swung the equivalent of 7 Games, NO I agree they Would Not have and the exercise is academic.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Looks kind of close to me. What's your count?
The flaw in your description is that in its Traditional Interpretation and the Intent of the Poster YOU Referenced, Goal Differential has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with ANYTHING that happened LAST SEASON.

The Goal Differential I believe that poster intended is a tally of the individual teams Goal Differential organized by Division and tabulated and summarized based on Team Goal Differentials from THIS SEASON.

Reactions: bobconbatman

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yes but they would not have the same points total in the East. I'm not saying they would dominate the East but with players like Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, etc. I would have thought that they could challenge the likes of Montreal, Columbus, Carolina and Florida.

But I did my little instigation, and Chicago's record against the East this year is 32-16-13-3 good for 35 points in 32 games, or an 89 points pace over 82 games, which, while better than their West record, suggests that they did not perform incredibly better against Eastern teams.
This is essentially arbitrary homerism so I’ll inject my own, supposing CHI finished the season against; PIT, TB, BOS, WSH, CBJ, NYI, TOR? How do you think they would have fared then? Think they would have gotten 14PTs from rthose games. Also Kane and Toews are NO LONGER THE DROIDS YOU THINK YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
This is essentially arbitrary homerism so I’ll inject my own, supposing CHI finished the season against; PIT, TB, BOS, WSH, CBJ, NYI, TOR? How do you think they would have fared then? Think they would have gotten 14PTs from rthose games. Also Kane and Toews are NO LONGER THE DROIDS YOU THINK YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

Are you calling me a Hawks homer ? :laugh: If anything I was curious because I don't follow them a lot. And come on for goalscoring Kane is 5th, Debrincat 7th, Toews 22nd. Point wise Kane is 3rd, Toews 26th, Debrincat 36th and Strome is almost a pt/game with Chicago.
Defensively might be their biggest problem though and probably a lack of depth in the overall roster?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Are you calling me a Hawks homer ? :laugh: If anything I was curious because I don't follow them a lot. And come on for goalscoring Kane is 5th, Debrincat 7th, Toews 22nd. Point wise Kane is 3rd, Toews 26th, Debrincat 36th and Strome is almost a pt/game with Chicago.
Defensively might be their biggest problem though and probably a lack of depth in the overall roster?
I’m calling you a fanboy. Basically every team in the league has three players in very similar or better standings (Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Letang / Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov / Aho, Teravainen, Hamilton / Panarin, Atkinson, Dubois, Werenski, Bobrovsky / Domi, Tatar, Drouin, Weber, Price) and better depth lower in their lineups, thus why the Hawks are OUT and the Canes, Jackets, and nearly the Canadiens are IN.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
The flaw in your description is that in its Traditional Interpretation and the Intent of the Poster YOU Referenced, Goal Differential has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with ANYTHING that happened LAST SEASON.

The Goal Differential I believe that poster intended is a tally of the individual teams Goal Differential organized by Division and tabulated and summarized based on Team Goal Differentials from THIS SEASON.

He absolutely did post an arbitrary stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad