Post-Game Talk: Division Champs boys

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well the Leafs did miss the group of 16 which is the normal playoff structure. The "play-ins" were a one year anomaly.
The normal playoff structure would have seen 16 teams making the playoffs, and the Leafs were one of those 16 teams. Instead, the playoff structure was altered due to the Pandemic, and 24 teams made the playoffs. Leafs were one of those 24 teams.
The play-ins were not the playoffs. The play-in's were post regular season games / pre playoff games to decide who made the playoffs.
That is factually incorrect. The NHL has explicitly stated that the "qualifiers" were part of the playoffs, and all playoff streaks have maintained. Your personal feelings do not overrule the NHL. From the official playoff format page:

NHL Records
2019-20: The NHL announces on May 26, 2020, the conclusion of the 2019-20 regular season as well as a modified competitive playoff format that features 24 teams
The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs begin with the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers, which feature both a Round Robin and Qualifying Round.
We're a year past it now. They are extremely clear in their wording. It's time for people to stop spreading the same misinformation that has already been disproven countless times.

Reactions: Cams

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Florida is not on that list... time to put some money down on that longshot...

Pens and Panthers IMO are good risks to put some money down on, with that said I don't gamble.

2021 NHL Stanley Cup Futures - 2021 Stanley Cup Odds: Surging Hurricanes Climbing the Board

Team​
Odds​
Colorado Avalanche​
+500​
Vegas Golden Knights​
+550​
Toronto Maple Leafs​
+650​
Carolina Hurricanes​
+650​
Tampa Bay Lightning​
+700​
Boston Bruins​
+1100​
Washington Capitals​
+1200​
Pittsburgh Penguins​
+1300​
New York Islanders​
+1600​
Edmonton Oilers​
+1800​
Florida Panthers​
+1800​
Minnesota Wild​
+1800​
St. Louis Blues​
+2500​
Winnipeg Jets​
+3000​
Montreal Canadiens​
+3000​
Nashville Predators​
+4000​
Dallas Stars​
+6600​
Arizona Coyotes​
+100000​
Vancouver Canucks​
+100000​
Calgary Flames​
+100000​
Los Angeles Kings​
+100000​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nashville at +4000 looks very tempting as well.

Maybe the best goaltender in the league this year in net for them so who knows how far he could carry them.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
We're a year past it now. They are extremely clear in their wording. It's time for people to stop spreading the same misinformation that has already been disproven countless times.

"All series in the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs will be best-of-7 and will be set based on seeding, the NHL announced June 4."

The nhl has been very clear that it was just a play in and not the real playoffs.

Its time for people like you to stop spreading misinformation. We don't care about your feelings.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Im kinda curious to what could be the agenda behind Leaf fans that adamantly try to argue the Leafs didnt make the playoffs last year.

Too much energy being wasted there to argue against your team in a grey area (especially when your team was going to make it in the old fashioned way anyways)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
"All series in the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs will be best-of-7 and will be set based on seeding, the NHL announced June 4."
I don't know where that's from (assuming some old press release with a quote taken out of context), but as we can see on the official playoff formats section of the NHL's records, even if your interpretation of that old quote ever meant what you think it means (which is doubtful), that was not their final and official stance. In fact, they are quite clear about this point specifically as well, almost as if there was a lot of uncertainty when specifics were being decided on, and they wanted to clear everything up.
Series Lengths
All rounds after the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers feature best-of-seven series (First Round, Second Round, Conference Finals, Stanley Cup Final).
So whatever that's supposedly from, it's quite frankly irrelevant now. Their official and final stance is that the qualifiers were part of the playoffs, as I already showed. 24 teams made the playoffs, as I already showed. Toronto made the playoffs, just like Pittsburgh, who were just acknowledged for their 15 consecutive season playoff streak a couple weeks ago, despite losing in the qualifiers last year. A streak which, btw, can also be seen in the NHL's records.

The Leafs factually made the playoffs last year, just as they have every year under this core. If people want to exaggerate what losing in the qualifiers meant, go nuts. That can be done without the spreading of misinformation, contrary to what the NHL has explicitly stated in their records.

Reactions: Cams and Auston 316

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
But isn't that like graduating grade 12? I am pretty sure none of the Leaf players really care about that but are only focused on a trip to the finals.
The problem with that line of thinking is if you don't graduate university you're just a highschool dropout. With a grade 8 education.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Most satisfying division win possible. We won the Canadian division. The Canada cup. A legitimately once in a lifetime opportunity. No matter what, we were the best in the country when Canada only played Canada for a whole season.

We are Canada's team. Get that banner up.

I don't know if players really care if they won the division but they would be disappointed to finish below first. Tehy know they are good but winning 1st is about as satisfyingly as kissing your hand.

Something I didn't know till yesterday, on Overdrive they mentioned this is the SECOND division title for Toronto in SIXTY years.... Leaf fans deserve a medal for following this team or maybe the backside of a hand ... :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nashville at +4000 looks very tempting as well.

Maybe the best goaltender in the league this year in net for them so who knows how far he could carry them.

Yeah Nashville ahs been on a hot streak for the last couple of months.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The normal playoff structure would have seen 16 teams making the playoffs, and the Leafs were one of those 16 teams. Instead, the playoff structure was altered due to the Pandemic, and 24 teams made the playoffs. Leafs were one of those 24 teams.

That is factually incorrect. The NHL has explicitly stated that the "qualifiers" were part of the playoffs, and all playoff streaks have maintained. Your personal feelings do not overrule the NHL. From the official playoff format page:

NHL Records

In the play in round, what are you playing into?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Im kinda curious to what could be the agenda behind Leaf fans that adamantly try to argue the Leafs didnt make the playoffs last year.

Too much energy being wasted there to argue against your team in a grey area (especially when your team was going to make it in the old fashioned way anyways)

It's this foggy thing called the truth.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In the play in round, what are you playing into?
The "Qualifying" round was for "qualifying" for the round of 16; the next stage of the 2020 Playoffs. Not sure why you're talking about the name of a one-off extra playoff round, when there's the NHL's official and final stance laid out very clearly and explicitly in front of you.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's this foggy thing called the truth.

It's a Grey area though.

I mean, theres very little truth in saying Montreal was a playoff team last year without Covid....hell, the Islanders were crashing out without Covid.

If you're a fan, why not just take your teams side here?

Just curious.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The "Qualifying" round was for "qualifying" for the round of 16; the next stage of the 2020 Playoffs. Not sure why you're talking about the name of a one-off extra playoff round, when there's the NHL's official and final stance laid out very clearly and explicitly in front of you.

If you are in the playoffs like you say, then once you win your play-in series your in the 2nd round of the playoffs right?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's a Grey area though.

I mean, theres very little truth in saying Montreal was a playoff team last year without Covid....hell, the Islanders were crashing out without Covid.

Just curious.
Montreal shouldn't be a playoff team this year either.

Reactions: ACC1224

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's a Grey area though.

Just curious.

My teams side? The side that didn't make the first round of the playoffs?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If you are in the playoffs like you say, then once you win your play-in series your in the 2nd round of the playoffs right?
It depends if we're talking about the number of playoff rounds somebody has participated in, or the naming system used by the NHL (keep everything the same, but add a one-off extra playoff round beforehand) to keep consistency with other NHL seasons in the modern era and not have to rewrite everything.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
My teams side? The side that didn't make the first round of the playoffs?

Just seems to be a wording issue here then. We can all agree the Leafs made the playoffs but failed to make it to the first round?

I know it seems weird but both statements are true.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It depends if we're talking about the number of playoff rounds somebody has participated in, or the naming system used by the NHL (keep everything the same, but add a one-off extra playoff round beforehand) to keep consistency with other NHL seasons in the modern era and not have to rewrite everything.

So no you are not in the second round of the playoffs? Which round are you in?

The regular season decides if you make the play in round and the playing round decides if you make the playoffs

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Just seems to be a wording issue here then. We can all agree the Leafs made the playoffs but failed to make it to the first round?

Dude I'm as stubborn as a Deer tick, no one will convince me that the play in round was anything more than that, just that a play-in round to decide who makes the 1st round of the playoffs.

This is from the NHL.com website, it clearly says Stanley Cup Playoffs, no indication of any play-in round..
Stanley Cup Playoffs

Really all the play-in round was for was to appease teams that were bubble playoff teams, so they couldn't say the NHL stopped the season at that point to make sure certain teams made the playoffs and others didn't. It was just a continuation of the regular season by up to 5 games. that is it that is all

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's not true.
They used a different format for playoff qualification last year and under that format the Leafs missed.
Only seems to be a few that won't accept it. Hopefully now that they've made it this year they'll be able to move on from last year.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Why are we still harping about the wording or interpretation of last season, in a thread about winning the division? Let it go! Or is this the continuing (and wrong) debate about how the Leafs have regressed (and will continue to do so) every year under Dubas?

Enjoy this rare feat!

Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad