Post-Game Talk: Division Champs boys

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Most satisfying division win possible. We won the Canadian division. The Canada cup. A legitimately once in a lifetime opportunity. No matter what, we were the best in the country when Canada only played Canada for a whole season.

We are Canada's team. Get that banner up.

Reactions: Confucius

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Disagree. He has played two games with us, has been steady at moving the puck, playing physical and joined the rush when needed.
In other words, exactly what your bottom pair defenseman should be.
The question you need to ask yourself, is after three years, what exactly has Dermott done to be a permanent fixture in the starting lineup?
He's good while Bogo is out. But Bogo is better.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
weren't the Leafs Cup favourites before the season started? Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I recall reading.
I don’t think they were ever cup favourites, Division favourites for many though.
It would be a huge leap to go from missing the playoffs to cup favourites

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don’t think they were ever cup favourites, Division favourites for many though.
It would be a huge leap to go from missing the playoffs to cup favourites
you make sense but I seem to recall betting odds etc all pointing to the leafs. Maybe I'm suffering from the Mandella effect. lol!

Reactions: ACC1224

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
you make sense but I seem to recall betting odds etc all pointing to the leafs. Maybe I'm suffering from the Mandella effect. lol!
No, no. I remember it as well. We had the best odds to win the cup, according to Vegas, a few years back.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
points-bet-odds.png

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Most satisfying division win possible. We won the Canadian division. The Canada cup. A legitimately once in a lifetime opportunity. No matter what, we were the best in the country when Canada only played Canada for a whole season.

yeah exactly, and while we’re at it I guess we can assume that if we win the North division come playoff time, all of the other Canadian cities will be cheering for us right?

How many times in the past has the local media suggested all Canadian fans should rally behind the last or few remaining Canadian teams? I’m sick of it, you think I’m cheering on Edmonton or Winnipeg to win the cup? Lol, Will they be cheering for us in the final 4? Lol, zero chance.

If we won the cup there will be some rabid fans from other Canadian teams looking for the nearest bridge to jump off before they would join in on the celebrations

Reactions: Auston 316

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Eh barely.

Stanley Cup predictions for 2020-21 NHL season

Only 8 of 15 have then winning division, only 4 have them making the final four, 0 making the finals.

Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions for 2020-21 season

11 of 21 have them winning the division, 11 making the final 4, 0 making the finals.

And it was even worse here on fan boards.

And even if they had them winning, nobody thought they would waltz away with 1st place like they did.

Beyond them losing again in (not even) the first round, do you remember how shit this team looked for long stretches last year? They still couldn't hold a lead, fell apart late in games, were horribly inconsistent with the killer instinct of a caterpillar, riding a ~.905 team save percentage. I thought we'd win the division this year mostly by virtue of being a big fish in a small pond, but they won this division on their own merits. They've played the most composed hockey I've seen since the core arrived. They got hold on first early on, and despite some mid season stumblings, anytime Edmonton or Winnipeg came sniffing the Leafs showed up and stomped them back down the ladder. I'm not indignant that "only" 50% of pundits had us finishing 1st, because the 19-20 Leafs did not deserve 100% deference.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

But isn't that like graduating grade 12? I am pretty sure none of the Leaf players really care about that but are only focused on a trip to the finals.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Florida is not on that list... time to put some money down on that longshot...

Pens and Panthers IMO are good risks to put some money down on, with that said I don't gamble.

2021 NHL Stanley Cup Futures - 2021 Stanley Cup Odds: Surging Hurricanes Climbing the Board

Team​
Odds​
Colorado Avalanche​
+500​
Vegas Golden Knights​
+550​
Toronto Maple Leafs​
+650​
Carolina Hurricanes​
+650​
Tampa Bay Lightning​
+700​
Boston Bruins​
+1100​
Washington Capitals​
+1200​
Pittsburgh Penguins​
+1300​
New York Islanders​
+1600​
Edmonton Oilers​
+1800​
Florida Panthers​
+1800​
Minnesota Wild​
+1800​
St. Louis Blues​
+2500​
Winnipeg Jets​
+3000​
Montreal Canadiens​
+3000​
Nashville Predators​
+4000​
Dallas Stars​
+6600​
Arizona Coyotes​
+100000​
Vancouver Canucks​
+100000​
Calgary Flames​
+100000​
Los Angeles Kings​
+100000​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Zybalto

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We didn't miss the playoffs last year, despite your insistence on posting that false information in every thread.

The play-ins were not the playoffs. The play-in's were post regular season games / pre playoff games to decide who made the playoffs.

From the NHL website : Stanley Cup Playoffs

It shows the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and SCF rounds no mention of the play-in rounds because the play in rounds were not the playoffs. The play in rounds again were games you play to get into the playoffs, ergo PLAY IN round.

Show me on the link provided where the Leafs played. Stanley Cup Playoffs

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'd truly love to know what possible justification there would be for Boston being top 4.

Also Montreal same as Washington and Carolina. LOL

Heh, that was pre-season which was what was being talked about just previous, probably should have quoted someone.

Habs and Canucks were horribly overrated at the start of the season.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->