Post-Game Talk: Division Champs boys

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That was definitely not a dive, but I don't know how you fine or even penalize him for that.
It's an obvious trip and should have been called. Not suspension/fine worthy though, just a missed call on a silly infraction

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's an obvious trip and should have been called. Not suspension/fine worthy though, just a missed call on a silly infraction

He speared Tavares moments earlier. He was just blatantly hacking away with his stick. A fine is called for just for that conduct.

For the trip itself, he pushed the leg forward that Tavares had his weight on. It’s not much different than a slewfoot in terms of what the results could be, and it wasn’t even in the course of a hockey play.

Fine that every day.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He speared Tavares moments earlier. He was just blatantly hacking away with his stick. A fine is called for just for that conduct.

For the trip itself, he pushed the leg forward that Tavares had his weight on. It’s not much different than a slewfoot in terms of what the results could be, and it wasn’t even in the course of a hockey play.

Fine that every day.
I had the "similar but lesser" to a slewfoot thought as well, but given the way Tavares falls no chance I fine that with the other garbage they let go.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I had the "similar but lesser" to a slewfoot thought as well, but given the way Tavares falls no chance I fine that with the other garbage they let go.

Yea in terms of how much stick work goes on away from the play I don’t know the magnitude of what goes on. I know we have stick work while battling for pucks or for space in front of the net and trying to tie sticks up. But this was none of those scenarios and I wouldn’t really see much otherwise — unless it were fined/penalized, which it is sometimes.

Like the Thornton/Ehlers slashes away from the play, can’t recall now if any of that was fined. But slashes away from play typically don’t get supplemental discipline, for better or worse.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily rest anyone in these last 2 games. But if they feel the need to rest some guys, then whatever. WPG and Montreal going to be resting guys too in their last 2 games, probably. So rust won't be an issue.

I wouldn't rest anyone unless they're nursing something serious. They have a 3 day break now then just 2 games in 4 days to finish out. Then there will be probably a week +/- before playoffs start. If you ask me, that's already too much rest for a team that seems to be clicking.

Reactions: Jojalu

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That was definitely not a dive, but I don't know how you fine or even penalize him for that.

Pushing a guys knee out like that is 100% a tripping call.

I don’t even mind the fine, because it can be a dangerous play.

Tavares goes down the wrong way and he’s done for the year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wouldn't rest anyone unless they're nursing something serious. They have a 3 day break now then just 2 games in 4 days to finish out. Then there will be probably a week +/- before playoffs start. If you ask me, that's already too much rest for a team that seems to be clicking.

Eh, we can work on the powerplay for the entirety of that week :laugh:

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nobody will ever be able to dethrone our Leafs, the Kings of the Scotia North Division because its a once in a century creation out of necessity, simply due to a world wide pandemic.

NHL has already removed the concept of an all Canadian Division, and the NHL will return to normalcy again next year.

Reactions: KLM-Line

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Only their 2nd divisional championship in my lifetime, and this one comes with an asterisk imo. Not taking anything away from them, and they were clearly the best of the teams in this division, but everything about the league this season is off.
Still, being a fan of the team 'officially' since about the 1983-84 season it is kinda crazy to look at the lack of success this franchise has seen. Since the expertly directed tank though things are looking bright and I hope this is one of many good things to come for this franchise, and us, their devoted fans, over the next decade!

Regardless of the messed up league (and you can only play the games you are scheduled to), this is an accomplishment for the boys to be proud of. Hopefully this makes them feel good about themselves heading into the games that really matter now.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In the grand scheme, this team will be measured in its playoff success. However, to get success there you want to see how they play in the regular season. A division championship marks a successful regular season that has seen more consistency in effort, better team defensive play, and solid goaltending. These attributes play well into the playoffs.

The Leafs were expected to win the division by most people. They, for once, actually played up to their expectations. That's an encouraging sign.

Now it's the next step - series wins in the playoffs. They have the talent, depth, and ability to go far. They just need to get over that mental hump.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Leafs were expected to win the division by most people.

Eh barely.

Stanley Cup predictions for 2020-21 NHL season

Only 8 of 15 have then winning division, only 4 have them making the final four, 0 making the finals.

Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions for 2020-21 season

11 of 21 have them winning the division, 11 making the final 4, 0 making the finals.

And it was even worse here on fan boards.

And even if they had them winning, nobody thought they would waltz away with 1st place like they did.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The division championship is great for bragging rights against the other fans, from the other North Division teams, but that's about it... it's kind of a meaningless accomplishment otherwise. Making the Semi-Finals is the absolute minimum acceptable result this year. We at least have to be competitive in that series, and hopefully make it to the finals. High expectations, but I think they are finally warranted. I'm really looking forward to see who steps up big in this years playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The division championship is great for bragging rights against the other fans, from the other North Division teams, but that's about it... it's kind of a meaningless accomplishment otherwise. Making the Semi-Finals is the absolute minimum acceptable result this year. We at least have to be competitive in that series, and hopefully make it to the finals. High expectations, but I think they are finally warranted. I'm really looking forward to see who steps up big in this years playoffs.

Agreed

Leafs are the undisputed best team in Canada during the regular season, as winning the Div proves, but really that doesn't do much yet, as it only determines playoff seeding and opponents at this point.

True bragging rights however when it comes to "Canada's best" will be the team that represents the Country in the Final 4 of the playoffs this year as the last Canadian team standing when it really counts.

Winning the regular season but not representing in the Final 4 is akin to winning the battle but losing the war. Nobody will care who finished 1st in the Div, as its all about who comes out of the Div in the end to take on the USA as Canada's best Cup challenger in 2021 playoffs.

Boston won the President's Trophy last year in the Atlantic & NHL overall with 100 points after 70 games in the regular season, but it was Tampa Bay the #2 seeded team with 92 points in the Div that won the Stanley Cup.

Our Leafs are the proverbial favourites to be that Final 4 team, and with that comes the expectations that they will prove that come playoff time in rounds #1 and #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fogelhund

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
75643558_103473734762581_1766406309270110669_n.jpg

The King in the North says:

xbCP0B7.gif

pUtQow0.jpg

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Eh barely.

Only 8 of 15 have then winning division, only 4 have them making the final four, 0 making the finals.

11 of 21 have them winning the division, 11 making the final 4, 0 making the finals.

And even if they had them winning, nobody thought they would waltz away with 1st place like they did.

It was always bizarre to watch these rankings and predictions. I didn't see any way that the Leafs wouldn't win this division handily, barring major injury. They're pretty complete.

Good luck in the playoffs, I'm thinking the "win a round first" jokes will stop pretty soon.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Agreed

Leafs are the undisputed best team in Canada during the regular season, as winning the Div proves, but really that doesn't do much yet, as it only determines playoff seeding and opponents at this point.

True bragging rights however when it comes to "Canada's best" will be the team that represents the Country in the Final 4 of the playoffs this year as the last Canadian team standing when it really counts.

Winning the regular season but not representing in the Final 4 is a keen to winning the battle but losing the war. Nobody will care who finished 1st in the Div, as its all about who comes out of the Div in the end to take on the USA as Canada's best Cup challenger in 2021 playoffs.

Boston won the President's Trophy last year in the Atlantic & NHL overall with 100 points after 70 games in the regular season, but it was Tampa Bay the #2 seeded team with 92 points in the Div that won the Stanley Cup.

Our Leafs are the proverbial favourites to be that Final 4 team, and with that comes the expectations that they will prove that come playoff time in rounds #1 and #2.
The word you are looking for is "akin"

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Agreed

Winning the regular season but not representing in the Final 4 is a keen to winning the battle but losing the war. Nobody will care who finished 1st in the Div, as its all about who comes out of the Div in the end to take on the USA as Canada's best Cup challenger in 2021 playoffs.

Leafs are the best team in Canada. The playoffs are to award a stanley cup. Winning a best of seven series does not wipeout an entire season. Upsets happen all the time in the playoffs. There are no awards for winning 2 of 4 rounds.

Ottawa for example is playing so well now they could win a best of 7 against anybody. Doesn't make them the best team they are simply hot at the moment. A lot of luck involved in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Eh barely.

Only Dom Luszczyszyn of The Athletic had the Leafs comfortably winning the division.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Do we really want to experiment with D on the verge of PO competitive games? Hutton is dept D and he shown me that he can step in if needed. However, let’s not promote players to regulars based on one game sample. His last game was nothing to write home about btw.
Disagree. He has played two games with us, has been steady at moving the puck, playing physical and joined the rush when needed.
In other words, exactly what your bottom pair defenseman should be.
The question you need to ask yourself, is after three years, what exactly has Dermott done to be a permanent fixture in the starting lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad