Post-Game Talk: Division Champs boys

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I remember one year the Habs hired an american coach as an interim and habs fans were furious lol. Can't remember his name but it was fairly recent. So ridiculous.

Randy Cunneyworth is the name you want, he's actually from Etobicoke

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
This felt like the majority of games versus the habs. A 50/50 game until about half way through, when the huge discrepancy in skill-level the leafs have over montreal kicks in and they can't keep up. If Montreal wants to compete with the leafs they need way more skill up front

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't necessarily rest anyone in these last 2 games. But if they feel the need to rest some guys, then whatever. WPG and Montreal going to be resting guys too in their last 2 games, probably. So rust won't be an issue.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
looks like Edmundson got a fine for this.

Did leafs decline the 2 man advantage in exchange to piss off Hab fans? Id take it.

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
B6B8B694-01DE-4515-B69A-9DDCB8A95666.jpeg
We are the fellowship of the rink

Last edited:

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON

Did leafs decline the 2 man advantage in exchange to piss off Hab fans? Id take it.

Pretty sure Tavares was slewfooted the shift before Marner's "tripping" penalty. Not sure if it was Edmundson or someone else.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
This team has all the parts.

P.S. Auston Matthews scores primary points at ES at a higher rate than McJesus. And Matthews plays D. Matthews is the best player in the world. And I'm totally fine with no-one outside our fanbase knowing that.
What about backhand snipes on Sunday evenings with 7:30 start times?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
This team has all the parts.

P.S. Auston Matthews scores primary points at ES at a higher rate than McJesus. And Matthews plays D. Matthews is the best player in the world. And I'm totally fine with no-one outside our fanbase knowing that.

He barely outscores McDavid at ES primary points though and Matthews has much better talent around him. Our top PP unit on paper is stacked compared to Edmonton and McDavid blows Matthew out of the water for PP points so this shouldn't be held against McDavid if people bring up his PP points. Hopefully someday our PP can figure it out and be consistent. Matthews is by far the better shooter/goal scorer but McDavid is the best player in the world atm and idk how anyone can try and debate that.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
For Keefe, Leafs' commitment to defence the key in taking North Division crown | Toronto Sun

For Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe, the Leafs’ defensive work is what propelled the team to its clinching of the North Division title on Saturday night with a win against the Montreal Canadiens.

“I look at where our team needed to grow and what our focus was,” Keefe said. “We felt really good about our team offensively. But we knew we had to get better defensively."

“Last season, we were pretty close to the bottom of the league at five-on-five goals against, and this season we’re in the top five."

“I would put it there, the team’s commitment to defending. We got good goaltending throughout the season as well, despite the fact that we had adversity and used four goaltenders."

“The fact that we’re able to keep the puck out of our net is the biggest reason why were able to be as consistent as we were to maintain our spot atop the division.”

The Leafs’ turnaround is remarkable.

In 2019-20, they were 28th in the National Hockey League in goals against at five on five, allowing 157 in 70 games. They were fourth in goals for at five on five with 158.

In 2020-21, the Leafs were fifth at five-on-five goals against through games on Saturday, allowing 90 in 54 games. In goals for at five on five, the Leafs were second with 128.

A 70-game pace this season would find the Leafs at 117 goals against and 166 goals for.

How dominant have the Leafs been? They had been atop the North for 106 of the season’s 116 days when they clinched.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Hutton need to stay in the lineup in lieu of Dermott. We a need a big physical presence on D for the playoffs.
Do we really want to experiment with D on the verge of PO competitive games? Hutton is dept D and he shown me that he can step in if needed. However, let’s not promote players to regulars based on one game sample. His last game was nothing to write home about btw.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Do we really want to experiment with D on the verge of PO competitive games? Hutton is dept D and he shown me that he can step in if needed. However, let’s not promote players to regulars based on one game sample. His last game was nothing to write home about btw.
Serious question, what's the non-experimental bottom pair? Bogo-Dermott?

Reactions: Captain14

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For Keefe, Leafs' commitment to defence the key in taking North Division crown | Toronto Sun

For Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe, the Leafs’ defensive work is what propelled the team to its clinching of the North Division title on Saturday night with a win against the Montreal Canadiens.

“I look at where our team needed to grow and what our focus was,” Keefe said. “We felt really good about our team offensively. But we knew we had to get better defensively."

“Last season, we were pretty close to the bottom of the league at five-on-five goals against, and this season we’re in the top five."

“I would put it there, the team’s commitment to defending. We got good goaltending throughout the season as well, despite the fact that we had adversity and used four goaltenders."

“The fact that we’re able to keep the puck out of our net is the biggest reason why were able to be as consistent as we were to maintain our spot atop the division.”

The Leafs’ turnaround is remarkable.

In 2019-20, they were 28th in the National Hockey League in goals against at five on five, allowing 157 in 70 games. They were fourth in goals for at five on five with 158.

In 2020-21, the Leafs were fifth at five-on-five goals against through games on Saturday, allowing 90 in 54 games. In goals for at five on five, the Leafs were second with 128.

A 70-game pace this season would find the Leafs at 117 goals against and 166 goals for.

How dominant have the Leafs been? They had been atop the North for 106 of the season’s 116 days when they clinched.

“We got good goaltending throughout the season as well, despite the fact that we had adversity and used four goaltenders."

You got some pretty trash goaltending outside of Campbell and occasionally Hutchinson. He is probably ecstatic that he does not need to use Andersen again unless there is an injury.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

That was definitely not a dive, but I don't know how you fine or even penalize him for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad