Division 1 NCAA Hockey

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This NCAA announcement is silent on hockey, but how long do you reckon it will be before the same decision is made for the women's & men's 2020 hockey post-season tournaments? :dunno:

NCAA President Mark Emmert's statement on limiting attendance at NCAA events

March 11, 2020 4:29pm

The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel. Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance. While I understand how disappointing this is for all fans of our sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States. This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes. We recognize the opportunity to compete in an NCAA national championship is an experience of a lifetime for the students and their families. Today, we will move forward and conduct championships consistent with the current information and will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed.

Media Contact

Stacey Osburn
NCAA Director of Communications
NCAA
317-917-6117

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
WXYZ-Detroit reports that the men's Frozen Four will be played @ Little Caesar's Arena without fans in attendance.

And SBNation's The Ice Garden blogger Michelle Jay reported this evening that the women's semifinals and their Frozen Four in Boston will proceed without spectators @ BU's Agganis Arena.

So it seems that Mark Emmert simply didn't feel compelled to mention hockey in his statement. I guess we're supposed to be grateful that he was at least looking out for the health & safety of us fans.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
While seasons ended prematurely, recognition for those who played & coached the game this past year is still deserved ...
  • Morgan Barron – Cornell University – Junior, Forward, Halifax, Nova Scotia ...
  • Jason Cotton – Sacred Heart University – Senior, Forward, Parker, Texas ...
  • Jack Dugan – Providence College – Sophomore, Forward, Rochester, New York ...
  • David Farrance – Boston University – Junior, Defense, Victor, New York ...
  • Jordan Kawaguchi – University of North Dakota – Junior, Forward, Abbotsford, BC ...
  • John Leonard – University of Massachusetts – Junior, Forward, Amherst, Massachusetts ...
  • Dryden McKay – Minnesota State University – Sophomore, Goalie, Downers Grove, Illinois ...
  • Marc Michaelis – Minnesota State University – Senior, Forward, Mannheim, Germany ...
  • Scott Perunovich – University of Minnesota Duluth – Junior, Defense, Hibbing, Minnesota ...
  • Jeremy Swayman – University of Maine – Junior, Goalie, Anchorage, Alaska ...
NameSchoolYearMINW-L-TGAASV%SOSVS
Zach DriscollBemidji StateJunior1989:1521-8-42.15.9374808
Matt GalajdaCornellJunior1733:0023-2-41.56.9315608
Spencer KnightBoston CollegeFreshman1979:1223-8-21.97.9315872
John LethemonMichigan StateSenior1944:3915-15-22.13.9355993
Strauss MannMichiganSophomore2071:5518-13-41.85.9396987
Frank MarotteClarksonSenior2019:1923-8-31.78.9384901
Dryden McKayMinnesota StateSophomore2295:5630-4-21.31.94210761
Hunter ShepardMinnesota-DuluthSenior2032:4022-10-22.18.9182826
Jeremy SwaymanMaineJunior2060:5018-10-52.07.93931099
Tyler WallUMass-LowellSenior1939:2718-8-62.1.9312924
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
First TeamPositionSECOND TEAM
Aerin Frankel, junior, Northeastern (Briarcliff Manor, NY)GoalieLindsay Browning, junior, Cornell (Penfield, NY)
Jaime Bourbonnais, senior, Cornell ** (Mississauga, ON)DefenseSkylar Fontaine, JR, Northeastern ** (East Greenwich, RI)
Jincy Dunne, senior, Ohio State * ## (O'Fallon, MO) :vhappy:DefenseElla Shelton, senior, Clarkson (Ingersoll, ON)
Elizabeth Giguere, junior, Clarkson * ## (Quebec City, QC)ForwardSarah Fillier, sophomore, Princeton ** (Georgetown, ON)
Alina Mueller, sophomore, Northeastern ** (Winterthur, Switzerland)ForwardEmma Maltais, junior, Ohio State (Burlington, ON)
Abby Roque, SR, Wisconsin (Sault Ste. Marie, MI)ForwardDaryl Watts, junior, Wisconsin # (Toronto, ON)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Elizabeth Giguere (Quebec City, Que.), a junior forward from Clarkson University, was named the recipient of the 2020 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award today. The award is presented annually to the top player in the NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey by The USA Hockey Foundation

Giguere was selected from the top-three finalists that also included sophomore forward Alina Mueller (Winterthur, Switzerland/Northeastern University) and senior forward Abby Roque (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich./University of Wisconsin). ...
For leading his team to the ECAC Regular Season title and the top seed of the canceled NCAA National Collegiate Championship, Doug Derraugh of Cornell University has been chosen CCM/AHCA Women’s National Collegiate Coach of the Year. It is the third such honor for Derraugh who was previously recognized in 2010 and last year

Cornell finished with a record of 28-2-3, 19-0-3 in the ECAC Hockey regular season. They forged a 22-game unbeaten streak that began on November 30 and ran through March 7. Statistically, the Big Red overwhelmed the opposition, averaging 3.9 goals scored per game and giving up an average of 0.9 goals per game.

Cornell won the regular season title in ECAC Hockey this season, earning Derraugh his fifth ECAC Coach of the Year award. ...

Last edited:

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
The 1998 Frozen Four...Since my boys were bounced in regionals, I was kinda hoping that it would be Michigan- Ohio State for the title. That would have been really strange to see such a high-stakes game between those two schools in hockey. But either way, Boston College got their hearts broken, so that was pretty cool.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Updates on the men's Division I post-season awards, from NCAA.com ...

The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Committee is pleased to announce the three Hobey Baker Hat Trick finalists for the 2020 award, honoring college hockey’s top player. Alphabetically, they are: Jordan Kawaguchi, a junior forward from the University of North Dakota; Scott Perunovich, a junior defenseman from the University of Minnesota Duluth; and Jeremy Swayman, a junior goaltender from the University of Maine

The three finalists were selected from the initial list of Top Ten candidates by the 30-member Selection Committee and an additional round of online fan balloting to determine this year’s Hobey Baker winner. Criteria for the award includes: displaying outstanding skills in all phases of the game, strength of character on and off the ice, sportsmanship and scholastic achievements.

This year’s Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced Saturday, April 11, 2020 live on ESPN’s SportsCenter during the 11pm ET show. ...
... The five finalists for the Mike Richter Award were announced Monday March 30 by Let’s Play Hockey. The Mike Richter Award honors the nation’s top collegiate goaltender. The seventh annual award will be presented April 10. ...

The five finalists are listed below in alphabetical order:
NameSchoolYearMINW-L-TGAASV%SOSVS
Matthew GalajdaCornellJunior1733:0023-2-41.56.9315608
Spencer KnightBoston CollegeFreshman1979:1223-8-21.97.9315872
Strauss MannMichiganSophomore2071:5518-13-41.85.9396987
Dryden McKayMinnesota StateSophomore2295:5630-4-21.31.94210761
Jeremy SwaymanMaineJunior2060:5018-10-52.07.9393
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nine coaches who have enjoyed on-ice success in 2019-20 have been named finalists for the Spencer Penrose Award, given annually to the CCM/AHCA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Coach of the Year.

Selected by the nation's 60 NCAA Division I head coaches, the winner will be announced on Tuesday, April 7. The nominees represent any coach who won or shared Coach of the Year honors in his conference this past season, coaches whose teams are ranked in the Top Four of the final Pairwise Rankings, and also include a recommended nomination from the Big Ten conference (Bob Motzko of Minnesota).

In addition, the AHCA Awards Committee has nominated Greg Powers of Arizona State, coach of the sole NCAA Division I independent program, on the basis of an NCAA Tournament qualifying position in the Pairwise Rankings. ...

NameSchoolQualification
Brad BerryNorth DakotaNCHC Coach of the Year/Pairwise Top 4
Red GendronMaineHE Coach of the Year
Mike Hastings*Minnesota StatePairwise Top 4
Eric LangAICAtlantic Hockey Coach of the Year
Bob MotzkoMinnesotaBig Ten
Greg PowersArizona StatePairwise Qualifier
Scott Sandelin*Minnesota-DuluthPairwise Top 4
Mike SchaferCornellECAC Hockey Coach of the Year/Pairwise Top 4
Tom SerratoreBemidji StateWCHA Coach of the Year
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Past Spencer Penrose Award Winner ...

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Congratulations to BC's Hannah Bilka on her NCAA Div. I Women's Rookie of the Year award. :towel:
In a vote of assistant coaches at the nation’s NCAA National Collegiate ice hockey programs, Boston College freshman forward Hannah Bilka has been named the 2019-20 National Rookie of the Year in women’s ice hockey. A native of Coppell, Texas, Bilka led BC in scoring with a line of 14-23-37 in 34 games. Bilka recorded 30 points in league play as a freshman in 2019-20, the ninth-highest total for a first-year player in Hockey East history and the fourth-best total of any Hockey East skater in 2019-20. She was also named Hockey East Rookie of the Year.

She led all league rookies in assists (19), points (30), assists per game (0.76), points per game (1.20), power-play assists (three), shorthanded goals (one), game-winning goals (three), hat tricks (one), shots on goal (103), and shots on goal per game (4.12), all in league play. Overall, Bilka finished her season with the most helpers (23) and points (37) of any Hockey East freshman skater. ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Congratulations to Minnesota-Duluth standout D-man & recent St. Louis Blues signee Scott Perunovich on his 2020 Hobey Baker Memorial Award! :towel:

And equal congrats go to Maine goaltender & new BOS Bruin Jeremy Swayman (a Hobey Baker finalist), winning the 2020 Mike Richter Award for top goalie in Div I men's hockey! :highclap:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Courtesy of USCHO.com, this award DEFINITELY deserves recognition in these pages ...
For selfless life-saving act, strong play on ice, Saint Anselm’s Conger wins 2020 Hockey Humanitarian Award

By Tim Costello
-
April 11, 2020

As a senior at St. Anselm in New Hampshire, Amanda Conger has always taken the Benedictine principles of distinguishing one’s life with meaning, leadership and achievement to heart each every day as a student, hockey team captain and this year as an organ donor.

The ultimate gift and selfless act are not something Amanda has ever sought recognition for but now embraces the opportunity to build a needed growing community for organ donation and support of kidney disease awareness.

She will have that platform as the 2020 recipient of the Hockey Humanitarian Award.

“I was astounded when my coach nominated me for the Hockey Humanitarian Award,” said a humbled Conger. “After speaking with a couple of representatives with the committee since and hearing about the multitudes of work others have done, I don’t know that my actions meet that level, but I didn’t donate a kidney to get recognized. I have very strong feelings about all kinds of organ and tissue donation that I think started when my older brother, Matt, donated bone marrow two years ago. I really thought that was a wonderful thing to be a match and being able to help someone find a cure and have a healthy life from something that he had the ability to give.

“My teammates still give me some grief for asking them to be part of the Be the Match program when they did a registration event on campus last year, but it just felt like a cause I wanted to be a part of. Later I saw Cameron Ouellette (a future kidney recipient) had put out a plea on the internet for donors, asking interested parties to reach out for an information packet, and I think that is where the process for me really got started.” ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2020/04/11/fo...s-conger-wins-2020-hockey-humanitarian-award/

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Some thoughtful COVID concessions from Div I & II committees ...
NCAA lessens requirements for high school students to be eligible for 2020-21 seasons

By USCHO Staff
-
April 18, 2020

The NCAA announced Friday that high school students intending to play NCAA Division I or II sports whose final semesters of their senior year were canceled by the COVID-19 pandemic will have several pathways to meet the NCAA’s initial-eligibility requirements this year.

“The eligibility center is navigating the complexity of COVID-19 and its negative impact on our membership, high schools and student-athletes,” said NCAA eligibility center VP Felicia Martin in a statement. “We understand this is an unprecedented situation and a difficult time for students and their parents, and the eligibility center is working diligently to ensure the best possible outcome for college-bound student-athletes and our member schools.”

Membership committees in both Divisions I and II reviewed initial-eligibility data and determined the NCAA would offer flexibility for incoming student-athletes based on research, fairness, equity and a standard of college readiness. ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2020/04/18/nc...-students-to-be-eligible-for-2020-21-seasons/

Reactions: mk80

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
College hockey’s Division I men’s conferences are planning alternate schedules should COVID-19 concerns delay the start of the 2020-21 season.

“We remain optimistic the 2020-21 season can be played, as scheduled,” wrote NCHC commissioner Josh Fenton in an email to USCHO. “However, the conference office has been modeling (and will continue to model) multiple scenarios related to financial operations and scheduling for next academic year as alternative plans.”
https://www.uscho.com/2020/04/21/me...ans-for-possible-shortened-season-in-2020-21/

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->