Division 1 NCAA Hockey

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Just drove back from Columbus on Sunday night, so this weekly women's DI hockey review will be short ...
  • #1 Minnesota took a pair from Bemidji State, while #2 Wisconsin beat Minnesota State on Saturday & Sunday.
  • #3 Cornell netted a total of 15 goals in weekend victories vs. Yale & Brown.
  • #4 Northeastern and #5 Clarkson each added two wins to their season records with Friday & Saturday games.
  • The BU women were bounced from the Top 10 USCHO rankings for the week, then went 1-1 with a 3-1 win over Yale on Tuesday & 4-2 loss to #6 Boston College on Friday.
Overtime Report: My wife & I attended the second game of a pair of Minnesota-Duluth @ #7 Ohio State on Saturday night. According to what I could gather from fan accounts from the Friday night game (while we were downtown attending an NHL match-up), Game 1 was a more competitive contest with the Buckeyes winning 3-1. Game 2 featured good speed & excellent passing by both teams; but neither side seemed to have much of a finishing touch left in them, and the two goaltenders did their parts to end regulation with a 1-1 score. So it was the first occasion I've gotten to witness (not a treat IMO) the WCHA women's new overtime scheme: First a 5-on-5 sudden death for 5 minutes; then if still tied, a 3-on-3 sudden death for another 5 minutes; then if STILL deadlocked, the game is declared an official tie (1 point going to each team) BUT they move to a shootout where the "winner" receives an extra point that counts toward the WCHA League standings only (in this case, OSU earned the extra point to unofficially sweep the weekend). This all got really bizarre when an OSU minor penalty called late in the 5-on-5 OT period (two minutes of which were played 4-on-4 after a pair of matching roughing penalties) rolled over into the nominal "3-on-3" OT period. What started as a 4-on-3 second extra session for about a minute (MN-Duluth advantage) turned into an extended 4-on-4 skating marathon as the ladies kept the puck in play for most of the second OT. I'm not sure the on-ice officials really knew what was going on, much less the coaches & players & fans ... though the OSU pep band seemed to be on top of the situation. :huh: :ha: :help: :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: tealhockey

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And going into the pre-Thanksgiving weekend of play, here are the USCHO.com Top 10 rankings for the women's side. No movement from last week ...

Through Games NOV. 17, 2019
(Rank, School, Record, Ranking Points, Previous Week Ranking)
1Minnesota (15)12-1-11501
2Wisconsin12-1-11352
3Cornell7-0-11153
4Northeastern10-1-01014
5Clarkson10-1-3875
6Boston College10-1-1796
7Ohio State8-3-3567
8Princeton7-2-0478
9Harvard5-0-0309
10Minnesota Duluth7-4-11910
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Others receiving votes: Boston University 5, Mercyhurst 1.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The men's side Top 20 per USCHO.com ...

Through Games NOV. 17, 2019
[TR][TH]
[TR][TH]RANKTEAMRECORDPOINTSPREVIOUS
1Minnesota State (36)8-1-19831
2Cornell (13)6-0-09483
3Notre Dame8-1-18304
4Denver8-2-28202
5North Dakota (1)8-1-28099
6Penn State9-2-07878
7Massachusetts7-3-06805
8Clarkson8-3-16197
9Minnesota Duluth5-4-15706
10Harvard5-0-056113
11Ohio State6-3-146711
12Providence6-4-243310
13Northeastern6-4-234214
14Boston College7-4-034116
15UMass Lowell7-3-426612
16Wisconsin6-6-025015
17Bowling Green7-4-023117
18Omaha6-3-114819
19Northern Michigan7-3-213718
20Western Michigan6-4-210420
[TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY][/TH][/TR][/TH][/TR][/TBODY]
[TBODY][TR][TH][TR][TH]Others receiving votes: Maine 83, Quinnipiac 52, Arizona State 11, Alaska 9, RIT 7, Dartmouth 4, Colorado College 4, New Hampshire 3, Robert Morris 1[/TH][/TR][/TH][/TR][/TBODY]

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Weekend results for the Top 5 NCAA Division I women’s teams over the weekend of 22 thru 24 November ...
  • #1 ranked Minnesota started their weekend with a 2-2 OT Final on Friday night in Duluth against the Bulldogs. On Saturday, the Lady Gophers held on to a second period lead to defeat host UMD 4-3. Minnesota will take its 13-1-2 overall record to Bellevue, TN (west suburban Nashville) next weekend, where they’ll face current Top 10 teams Boston College & Harvard in the 2019 Country Classic tournament.
  • #2 Wisconsin Lady Badgers kept pace in the Div. I rankings with a pair of victories over the Huskies in St. Cloud, MN. Final scores were 5-3 and 6-2, led by their top point-getters Abby Roque (1 G, 3 A for the weekend) and Sophie Shirley (2 G, 2 A for the weekend). [ETA: I neglected mentioning Badgers' junior forward Daryl Watts, who led WCHA scoring for the week with 7 points in these two games. This performance earned her 2nd Star of the Week in the NCAA women's field.] Wisconsin (14-1-1-0 overall) will also travel to Tennessee on the Thanksgiving weekend to participate in the Country Classic, playing Harvard & BC on the days that Minnesota ain’t.
  • The #3 Cornell ladies team was idle (for game play, anyway) this weekend. The Big Red (7-0-1 overall) will face off against The Orange in Syracuse on Tuesday night the 26th, then travel to Columbus for a Thanksgiving weekend pair vs. the currently 7th ranked OSU Lady Buckeyes.
  • #4 Northeastern split a pair of close games at home vs. Maine, with scores of 2-1 in regulation and 2-3 in OT. The Lady Huskies will try to improve their 12-2 overall record with a gapped home-and-home against Holy Cross (Nov. 29th & Dec. 4th).
  • #5 ranked Clarkson Golden Knights lost at Princeton on Friday night (2-1 final) and tied the Bobcats @ Quinnipiac on Saturday afternoon (2-2 OT Final). The Lady Knights (now 10-2-4 … have a Dr. Pepper …) head to Burlington, Vermont for the Thanksgiving weekend to participate in the 2019 Windjammer Classic, playing Minnesota State then either Penn State or the host Catamounts.
I’ll have a “special report” next weekend, after returning from the aforementioned Country Classic hockey tourney in Bellevue, TN. **IF** my wife doesn’t accuse me of flirting with the players at the autograph table & leave me stranded, that is. :nono:

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Women's rankings updated per the USCHO.com poll show some notable shuffling beyond the Top 4 teams ...

Through Games NOV. 24, 2019
1Minnesota (14)13-1-21481
2Wisconsin (1)14-1-11362
3Cornell7-0-11253
4Northeastern12-2-0974
5Princeton9-2-0898
6Ohio State9-3-4657
7Clarkson10-2-4635
8Boston College11-3-1476
9Minnesota Duluth7-5-22410
10Boston University10-4-117NR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Others receiving votes: Harvard 10, Robert Morris 4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looks like the USCHO.com poll voters sat up & took notice of the Wisconsin women's performances @ the Country Classic tournament in suburban Nashville this past weekend, with victories over Harvard (5-1) & #8 ranked Boston College (5-3). Congratulations to the Lady Badgers on a very strong tournament AND on regaining their #1 ranking ...

Through Games DEC. 1, 2019

1Wisconsin (8)16-1-11432
2Minnesota (7)14-1-31421
3Northeastern13-2-01114
4Cornell9-1-11093
5Ohio State10-4-4776
6Princeton9-2-0745
7Clarkson12-2-4637
8Boston College11-4-2528
9Boston University10-4-12410
10Minnesota Duluth8-6-2199
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Others receiving votes: Mercyhurst 5, Robert Morris 5, Harvard 1.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Other women's team poll climbers for this past week were ...
  • The Northeastern Huskies moved up to #3, swapping places with the Cornell Red. NEU smoked visiting Holy Cross on Saturday night, scoring four first period goals & never looking back. Final score was 11-0, with Huskies sophomore forward Chloé Aurard recording a hat trick along with tw0 helpers for 5-point effort.
  • The Ohio State Buckeyes took over at #6, trading slots with the Princeton Tigers. OSU split a pair with higher ranked Cornell on Ohio ice, while the Tigers' only weekend match was an exhibition against the PWHPA traveling squad.
  • The Boston Terriers were idle this past weekend, but still continued their climb up the ladies' rankings ladder past the MN-Duluth Bulldogs to take over the #9 spot. The Lady Bulldogs went 1L-1W in the Nutmeg Classic tourney at The Yale Whale in Hamden, CT, losing to the ultimate tournament winner Quinnipiac before taking the consolation game from UConn. So I guess a WCHA team losing to an ECAC team does not impress the USCHO pollsters on the ladies' side.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Checking in on the men's rankings as the holiday spirit grows ...

Through Games DEC. 1, 2019
[TR][TH]
[TR][TH]RANKTEAMRECORDPOINTSPREVIOUS
1Minnesota State (44)12-1-19941
2Cornell (6)9-0-09472
3North Dakota12-1-28893
4Denver9-3-28264
5Clarkson10-3-17586
6Penn State11- 4-06567
7Ohio State9-4-162011
8Northeastern10-4-252812
9Notre Dame8-4-25275
10Boston College9-4-052214
11Massachusetts9-4-149110
12Harvard6-1-04889
13Bowling Green10-5-047816
14Minnesota Duluth7-6-14298
15Providence8-4-338813
16UMass Lowell9-3-437515
17Western Michigan7-5-220017
18Omaha6-4-212818
19Wisconsin7-8-14119
20Arizona State7-4-139NR
[TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY][/TH][/TR][/TH][/TR][/TBODY]
[TBODY][TR][TH][TR][TH]Others receiving votes: Maine 27, Quinnipiac 21, Northern Michigan 20, Michigan State 19, Army 17, Sacred Heart 14, Alaska 12, Bemidji State 12, Michigan Tech 10, Dartmouth 7, RIT 7, New Hampshire 6, Robert Morris 3, Minnesota 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OSU, NEU, BC & Bowling Green made the big leaps this week, benefitting their future pairwise positioning as the calendar year end approaches. Minn. State-Mankato is clearly the team to beat, though NoDak will remain a strong competitor in the NCHC. Cornell is slowly getting some attention from the USCHO voters, as the ECAC teams start to catch up in games played.[/TH][/TR][/TH][/TR][/TBODY]

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Successes all around this past week for the women's Top 5, as the ladies roll into their Christmas breaks ...
  • #1 Wisconsin helped bolster their first place case with two home victories over MN-Duluth, by scores of 4-3 & 5-2. The top 2 Badger scorers for the season, forwards Daryl Watts & Abby Roque, continued to rack up the points and pad their shot totals.
  • #2 Minnesota dispatched their in-state WCHA rival Minn. State 4-0 on Saturday night, with 11 different players notching one point each.
  • #3 Northeastern visited Holy Cross on Wednesday, and out a second straight shutout whoopin' on the Crusaders with a 7-0 victory. I guess some might say they took it easy on their hosts, after the 11-0 blowout in Boston the previous Friday.
  • #4 Cornell notched two more ECACH road victories, 5-1 over Princeton & 4-1 over Quinnipiac. The Big Red are now 11-0-1 overall & 7-0-1 in conference.
  • #5 Ohio State was idle this past weekend, as they rested up & prepped for a pair vs. Princeton in Las Vegas next weekend. All work & no play ...

In very strange news at the other end of the Div. I women's spectrum, the Lindenwood University Lady Lions had to recruit goaltenders from their forward lines after all three of their rostered netminders were reported as "injured" before a pair of home games vs. Syracuse. In two noteworthy shows of courage (or temporary insanity), both senior Cierra Paisley & freshman Madilynn Hickey did admirable jobs between the pipes for one game each without hurting themselves in the process. Cierra made 31 saves on 38 total Orange shots on Friday night, while her teammates were kept too busy in their own zone to score any goals in the 7-0 route. On Saturday afternoon, Hickey took the volunteer duties & stopped 32 shots but allowed 13 frustrating goals in a 13-1 blowout. The Lions are now 2-12-3 overall for the season and 0-6-0 in CHA conference play, with a non-conference pair next weekend in Mankato before their greatly deserved Christmas intermission. I sure hope Coach Looney & her staff have some luck finding a couple of REAL goalies in the very near future. :help:

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The unfortunate part for Lindenwood is they would have been in two very winnable games without the injuries to their goaltenders. I'm hopeful they'll get their regular goaltenders back soon, one was originally cleared to play before getting a headache on Friday morning. Rarely do you encounter a situation where all 3 goalies are injured with significant injuries (Concussion x2, nerve injury) at the same time forcing that situation.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@mk80 : Thanks for filling in some blanks on the LU goaltending sitch. I'll be praying for positive outcomes for Annika & Sophie & Lauren.

I neglected to include in my weekend review an important Honorable Mention for the Lindenwood backup goalie this past weekend, Mackenzie Litterst. Mackenzie is the senior goaltender on the university's field hockey team, and she might've been the most nervous member of the Lady Lions squad on Friday & Saturday. She was barely able to make it from the player entrance to the end redline before Game #1 for team introductions without falling down (apparently never having been on ice skates before), and she forgot to join the Game #2 pre-game huddle around the goal with her new teammates. But she survived like the rest of the LU squad, and I must add that she performed her primary duties of handling the player bench door opening & closing just like an old pro. :thumbu:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And the Lindenwood Lady Lions drama continued this weekend ... :noway:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minnesota State Women’s Hockey series against Lindenwood postponed
By Jake Rinehart | December 12, 2019 at 3:04 PM CST - Updated December 12 at 4:09 P

MANKATO, Minn. (KEYC) — The Minnesota State Mavericks Athletics Department announced on Thursday that the Women’s Hockey series against Lindenwood, originally scheduled for Friday, Dec. 13, and Saturday, Dec. 14, has been rescheduled to a later date.

According to Athletic Director Kevin Buisman confirmed that Lindenwood has been struggling with injuries at the goaltender position, which was the primary reason for the postponement. ...

The department said that tentative plans to reschedule the series to Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 are being negotiated with Lindenwood, but talks remain ongoing and nothing has been finalized. ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This was the final weekend of women's D1 hockey before the Christmas break. Ohio State & Princeton were the only two Top 10 teams to play, with the #5 Buckeyes facing the #7 Tigers for a pair @ City National Arena in Summerlin, Nevada (the NHL’s Vegas Golden Knights suburban practice ice). Saturday night belonged to Princeton, who notched a 4-2 victory to improve their overall record to 11-3-0. Sophomore forward Maggie Connors got the scoring started for the Tigers in Game 1 Period 1 with a PP goal early, then wrapped up the win late in the 3rd period with an ENG. For the Sunday evening rematch, OSU’s junior forward Liz Schepers scored twice in the 1st & freshman defender Teghan Inglis added another in the 2nd to carry the Lady Buckeyes into the 3rd period with a 3-1 lead. After Ohio State & Princeton traded late power play goals, Buckeyes junior forward Tatum Skaggs scored in the final minute to seal the 5-2 win & raise their overall record to 11-5-4.

Women’s D1 hockey will resume in the Boston area on the last two days of December, with Vermont visiting Northeastern and Harvard crossing The Charles to play @ BC. Meanwhile, Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah & all other year-end holiday wishes to The Ladies of Hockey and their loyal fans.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Some holiday chat from USCHO.com's Tuesday Morning Quarterback. One year too early for "past decade" talk, but still some interesting factoids ...
TMQ: Talking all the changes, major storylines in NCAA hockey during the past decade
By Jim Connelly and Paula C. Weston
December 24, 2019

Each week during the season, we look at the big events and big games around Division I men’s college hockey in Tuesday Morning Quarterback.

Jim: ... With all but two teams on break this past week, I thought this would be a good time to look back a bit.

For the past week or so, USCHO has been running features that look back at each league over the last decade. It certainly was a pretty wild decade, no doubt.

The seismic shift in the landscape pretty much headlines things for me. The Big Ten was created, the CCHA was demolished and even as we head towards the 2020s, there is still so much uncertainty for the WCHA.

The good news was that college hockey added two teams: Penn State and Arizona State. The better news was that both of those programs were immediately competitive, each qualifying for NCAA tournaments. ...

Paula: As you mentioned, the biggest story was the realignment – and for me, personally, the shift from covering the CCHA to covering Big Ten hockey.

I don’t think that people who weren’t following either the CCHA or WCHA closely really grasp how enormous a paradigm shift that as. I think the reason people pine for the CCHA still or the old WCHA is that each had a couple of Big Ten schools in its league and there was a such a mix of “big” and “small” programs.

It’s a culture shift that is difficult to explain to fans of other leagues. While I am not calling one bit for a return to something similar, there was something unique about the way in which those two leagues were composed, the way in which each conference had a that mix of B1G schools, smaller D-I schools, and schools at which hockey was the only D-I sport. It was part of the foundation of the entire D-I hockey landscape that we enjoy now, one in which fans can rub elbows with coaches at the Frozen Four. I don’t know how much longer this kind of culture will exist in any D-I sport.

Another storyline that tops my list is the rise of ECAC Hockey. The improvement in that league in the past decade has been phenomenal, from the overall top-to-bottom competition to the league’s presence on the national scene.

From 2000 through 2009, just one ECAC team made a Frozen Four appearance, and that was St. Lawrence in 2000. This past decade saw back-to-back ECAC national titles when Yale won in 2013 and Union the following year. Quinnipiac fought Yale for the title in 2013 and returned to the championship game in 2016. Union first appeared in the Frozen Four in 2012, and Harvard returned to the national championship tournament in 2017 after a 23-year absence. In 2016, Harvard’s Jimmy Vesey was the Hobey Baker Award winner.

This reemergence of ECAC hockey is, in my opinion, one of the best stories of the last decade.

Jim: Mentioning the ECAC is a precursor to my next big storyline: the remarkable number of first-time national champions. Yale and Union were half of the quarter of schools that lifted the national championship trophy.
Minnesota Duluth not only won its first back in 2011, but the Bulldogs followed up with two additional titles in 2018 and 2019. Providence also won its first title in 2015.

To put that all in perspective, six of the 10 national titles in the decade were won by team that entered the 10-year period without a national title.

Not too shabby. ...

Read more at: TMQ: Talking all the changes, major storylines in NCAA hockey during the past decade | College Hockey | USCHO.com

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Again, it's premature for USCHO.com to publish "Decade in Review" features. But it's good filler for the holiday season ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
USCHO.com Decade In Review: The 2010’s set the stage for a new era in Division I women’s hockey

By Nicole Haase
December 30, 2019

In 2010, Minnesota Duluth’s reign was coming to an end and Minnesota’s was just beginning. The Bulldogs won their fifth title to start the decade. The Gophers had just two NCAA national championships when the decade started. Clarkson emerged as a force to be reckoned with and (became) the only non-WCHA team to win a title.

To only look at the big picture, it looks like not much has changed in the women’s game. At the start of the decade, there were three teams that led the pack – Minnesota, Minnesota Duluth and Wisconsin. As we close it out, there’s still a focus on three programs, with Clarkson having replaced UMD in the top trio.

But looking closer shows that gaps are narrowing, overall quality of play has increased and things only look to be getting better. ...

Read more at: USCHO.com Decade In Review: The 2010’s set the stage for a new era in Division I women’s hockey | College Hockey | USCHO.com

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Now that the holidays are behind us (as well as our weight management progress), let's get back to matters at hand ...
Nathan Wells | NCAA.com | January 9, 2020
Women’s hockey: What to look for in the second half of the season

The stretch run began with a trip to Europe, a tournament featuring top teams in Pittsburgh and now head outdoors in Minneapolis, all before the Frozen Four crowns a national champion in Boston. ...

2020 may be a week old, but NCAA women’s hockey action is already back up to speed after an eventful first half. Last weekend saw Quinnipiac and Merrimack playing a two-game Friendship Series in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Two of the top-four teams in the country put on a classic as Northeastern erased a pair of deficits to put Wisconsin on its heels before Badgers forward Caitlin Schneider won in overtime. It’s the type of performance leaving observers clamoring for the two teams to meet again in another tournament, this time in March.

TOP 10: Check out the latest USCHO women's hockey rankings

Whether you are a diehard fan or want to pick up and follow along the stretch run, here’s what to look for during the second half. ...

Read & See more at: Women’s hockey: What to look for in the second half of the season | NCAA.com

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And a feature from the men's side ...
Zach Pekale | NCAA.com | January 9, 2020
5 college hockey teams that could win their first national championship in 2020
Minnesota Duluth’s back-to-back championships is the eighth time a Division I men’s college hockey program has won titles in consecutive seasons. While the No. 9 Bulldogs remain poised to return to the NCAA tournament, history doesn’t favor the likelihood of a three-peat.

Vic Heyliger’s Michigan teams between 1951-53 are the only group to pull off the feat. Scott Sandelin's Bulldogs will have a chance to do it in the spring. But if they don't, it could be time for one of several teams to win its first national title.

Here are five programs we think could be first-time champions by the end of the 2020 Frozen Four. ...

Read & See more at: 5 college hockey teams that could win their first national championship in 2020 | NCAA.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad