Divinity: Original Sin 2

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So anyone else playing :P ?

It's out in Alpha now for all backers on kickstarter or you can buy it on Early Access.

I didn't play myself, but I did watch some 4-player co-op on Twitch. It looks really, really cool.

Of course, I said that about the last one, and it's still sitting in my Steam library with only a few hours played. :(

Also, I tend to avoid Early Access games wherever possible.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
The first one was one of my favorite games (console) of last year. I absolutely loved it.

Trying to do a Honour run. So hard but so fun. Probably spent about 50 hours so far. I left off when I got to some kind of desert I believe. A bunch of spiders. Haven't touched it in awhile. Need to get back to it.

I will def check out 2.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
I'll definitely be getting it, had plqayed the previous title's Enhanced edition with my wife and loved it. Wished there was a 4 player coop option at the time, this one does, so I'll be all over it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I was watching the same people playing 4-player co-op for a bit.

Someone keeps getting caught for stealing. :laugh:

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Someone keeps getting caught for stealing. :laugh:

The theft detection system is improved a lot but it really needs to be refined a bit because it feels *TOO* good. NPCs scan their areas for objects that are missing and come up to you and ask if you have any stolen items.

I've found a way to beat it though, it's pretty funny. The game has a system called "magic pockets" where you can transfer items to each other anywhere. Well all you have to do is open up your other character and transfer the stolen item to the other one and walk away. The NPC finds no stolen items and you go about your business :laugh:

I need someone to play in the Arena :P

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I have it but have not played it yet. Going to try to finish the new Deux Ex first. Will probably 'peek' at it a bit soon (I did like the previous one). I know it is petty (I am old school gamer and never had it in the past), but I have become so accustomed to voice acting (even if it is bad) it is hard for me to play games without (I always turn off sub-titles as well). The first one added voice acting later and it became a better game to me, I hope the do the same for this one on final release.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The theft detection system is improved a lot but it really needs to be refined a bit because it feels *TOO* good. NPCs scan their areas for objects that are missing and come up to you and ask if you have any stolen items.

I've found a way to beat it though, it's pretty funny. The game has a system called "magic pockets" where you can transfer items to each other anywhere. Well all you have to do is open up your other character and transfer the stolen item to the other one and walk away. The NPC finds no stolen items and you go about your business :laugh:

I need someone to play in the Arena :P

It's certainly an interesting looking game, but I also thought that of the first one and didn't make it very far. :laugh:

Do you need to play the first one to dive into this one?

I also really like the idea of supporting Larian, because they are awesome and I really, really want another Dragon Commander game. :laugh:

...please?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You don't need to play 1. I would though because it's complete where this one is an alpha that's only part of the game. But if for some reason something about 2 is more interesting, then yeah you can jump right in. Story wise it's set thousands of years later so it's not a direct sequel in that way.

I'm not quite done yet with the content, will probably finish this weekend. I didn't like the first couple hours much but it gets very good after that. Basically the first game but with more substantive and significant dialog.

Where as in 1 you could literally mash #1 most of the time and not notice.

The first one added voice acting later and it became a better game to me, I hope the do the same for this one on final release.

I'd be very surprised if it gets full voice acting since there is a lot more dialog in 2. Partial is confirmed but just not in yet.

You could always just fight me in the arena :P

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Couldn't find another thread from recently when the game was released full time, but I bought this on Christmas and I found it significantly better than the first one. Never finished DOSI (though I didn't play enhanced either). It also seems a lot longer than the first which is nice, I had only 20 hours into the first and was about the enter the final act.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
2 does some things better than 1 and some worse. I put them about the same level. 2 is more polished on release though.

FWIW I think you probably miscounted the hours on part 1, it's about the same length as D:OS 2. Unfortunately both games suffer from somewhat rough endings and cut content.

But I can play that combat system all day every day.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
My only problem with D:OS was going in completely the wrong direction and having no clue what in the world was happening or what I was doing.

Really want to pick that up again but I'm having trouble sinking my teeth into anything that involved at the moment. I'm stuck in casual phase...

I was tempted picking up D:OS 2 for $50 this winter sale but I keep telling myself I already own the first one....

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It could be just because I’ve played 2 more recently but I think it’s a lot more user friendly for knowing where to go.

2 does some things better than 1 and some worse. I put them about the same level. 2 is more polished on release though.

FWIW I think you probably miscounted the hours on part 1, it's about the same length as D:OS 2. Unfortunately both games suffer from somewhat rough endings and cut content.

But I can play that combat system all day every day.

Yeah? It’s been awhile. I know I’m 50 or so hours into 2 and was starting the third area (after the forest/mines) in the first when I quit. I’m probably going to replay it once I finish two.

My hours could be long because I’ve had to redo a lot of fights in Act 1 and early Act 2.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah? It’s been awhile. I know I’m 50 or so hours into 2 and was starting the third area (after the forest/mines) in the first when I quit. I’m probably going to replay it once I finish two.

1 for me clocked in about 120 hours. 2 at 100 hours but knowing the game and systems well now I think explains the difference. Though I think some of the combat system changes make combat go faster in 2.

The big difference in quality between the two is 2 has a more consistent story driven narrative. In 1 the story falls off pretty fast about midway through act 2 and the game turns into a combat slog. 1 is also very breadcrumb like in its story telling, 2 is a lot more upfront and conventional.

2 also has some pretty cool puzzles later in the game where as in 1 most of them were early. There are some real Easter egg type plot reveals you have to REALLY look for in 2 later on and not many people will see them. It's pretty great in that respect.

But overall I think the combat was more fun in D:OS 1 even if it was a bit slower. The armor/magic armor systems in 2 really reduce the variability in fights and make them rote. It's all about getting the armor levels down on enemies one at a time until you can status effect them. Where as in 1 you could do more thinking on your feet with creative strategies.

having no clue what in the world was happening or what I was doing.

Kinda the point from my perspective :P
That's like my unofficial RPG test. If I don't get that feeling at least once the game is doing it wrong.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Kinda the point from my perspective :P
That's like my unofficial RPG test. If I don't get that feeling at least once the game is doing it wrong.

Oh sure, but I tend to like to have an idea of how to play the game before that happens personally. :laugh:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
1 for me clocked in about 120 hours. 2 at 100 hours but knowing the game and systems well now I think explains the difference. Though I think some of the combat system changes make combat go faster in 2.

The big difference in quality between the two is 2 has a more consistent story driven narrative. In 1 the story falls off pretty fast about midway through act 2 and the game turns into a combat slog. 1 is also very breadcrumb like in its story telling, 2 is a lot more upfront and conventional.

2 also has some pretty cool puzzles later in the game where as in 1 most of them were early. There are some real Easter egg type plot reveals you have to REALLY look for in 2 later on and not many people will see them. It's pretty great in that respect.

But overall I think the combat was more fun in D:OS 1 even if it was a bit slower. The armor/magic armor systems in 2 really reduce the variability in fights and make them rote. It's all about getting the armor levels down on enemies one at a time until you can status effect them. Where as in 1 you could do more thinking on your feet with creative strategies.

Yeah I rechecked and I had 45 hours at the end of the second area, and am at 71 just starting Arx in DOS2. I missed a few quests in each of Act 1, 2 and 3 (a few that bugged out, like the cow one that never completed because the now human former cows never showed up in Driftwood after I cured them) but have mostly been doing everything.

Combat does seem formulaic, and as of halfway through Act 3 I really haven't had any fight that's been making me struggle (3+ restarts is a struggle for me). I spec'd Ifan into summoning and a fully buffed champion Incarnate seems a little overpowered.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Combat does seem formulaic, and as of halfway through Act 3 I really haven't had any fight that's been making me struggle (3+ restarts is a struggle for me). I spec'd Ifan into summoning and a fully buffed champion Incarnate seems a little overpowered.

One of the things about summoning is it's pretty powerful even if you barely level it. Just having more meat shields changes everything on the field. Similar to builds with battlefield control spells vs ones that don't. Teleport, nether swap totally change the field because they can go through magic armor. Or like how early on oil is super useful in the same way.

The other thing I really don't like is how the enemies kinda cheat. They can just steal your source points via vampirism but you can't do the same unless you knock down their magic armor. It really incentivizes just casting your source spells straight off.

Both games are harder levels 1-6 or so than anything. After that if you have even a halfway competent build you'll start stomping.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Finished the Doctor fight. Hardest fight for me by far, and I couldn’t take the easy way out of ganking his weaker human form because my game bugged out both Malady appearing in front of the Black House and the Doctor had his demon health and armour at the start. Lured him outside (while waves of summons took his armour down) and he went easy but I’ve tried to not use gamey kiting to win fights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->