Div2 Group A

Status
Not open for further replies.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
tommi462 said:
In a few years, they could very well reach the level of Latvia, or even Belarus.

ehm yeah, but still a long road. they lost to the netherlands with 2-7. unfortunately there's no liveticker.

i wonder what chances the netherlands have. i somehow hope for another tommie hartogs. :)

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
zecke26 said:
ehm yeah, but still a long road. they lost to the netherlands with 2-7. unfortunately there's no liveticker.

i wonder what chances the netherlands have. i somehow hope for another tommie hartogs. :)

How can they suck so much compared to Latvia. They're neighbors for heavens sake. Just like Sweden and Norway and Russia and Mongolia... erm...

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
tommi462 said:
How can they suck so much compared to Latvia. They're neighbors for heavens sake. Just like Sweden and Norway and Russia and Mongolia... erm...

isn't it all about basketball in lithuania?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Markov said:
Go Lithuania! What a powerhouse of hockey. ;)

Don't know much about Lithuanian hockey, but the neighbouring Latvians did beat team Russia recently in an international tourney (a year or two ago, I think). I believe it was only the second time when that happened. From my wife, who is Latvian, I heard that the whole country went crazy with celebration :)

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
tommi462 said:
Maybe. They should really start considering hockey, though, we need more hockey in the world.

Unfortunately, I don't think they give a rat's *** about hockey. It really is a basketball country.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
That's too bad. I've been trying to even name a few players in the NHL who came from Lithuania, all that I can come up with is Zubrus and Kasparaitis.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
tommi462 said:
Maybe. They should really start considering hockey, though, we need more hockey in the world.

i agree that hockey could need more good countries, but why should they play hockey when they're one of the best basketball nations in the world. it's not a big country and you can't compete in two or more sports. they're mediocre in soccer and that's about it. they have no need for hockey.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
here are the complete results of the first day:

lithuania - netherlands 2-7
china - japan 0-5
serbia/montenegro - romania 3-6

akim ramoul of netherlands is the only player in this tournament who is playing in the US. unfortunately i do no know where. he had 2 goals and 1 assist today.

the netherlands have three players with 6'5...impressing. china has one with 6'4 at least and japan's biggest player is 6'2 while all the others are true midgets. :)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
results of the 2nd day:

netherlands - china 3-2
japan - serbia/montenegro 12-1
romania - lithuania 9-1

on thursday the first interesting match when romania faces the netherlands. tomorrow no games.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I've heard that there is something like a Division Five World Junior Championships which features teams like Mexico, Israel and Turkey. Nonetheless, I think it's good to see some of these countries not recognized at all for hockey beginning to play at the junior level.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Andrew_11 said:
I've heard that there is something like a Division Five World Junior Championships which features teams like Mexico, Israel and Turkey. Nonetheless, I think it's good to see some of these countries not recognized at all for hockey beginning to play at the junior level.

it's just division three though. it's the lowest level of junior hockey. the tournament will be played in mexico city next week. six teams will participate: bulgaria, iceland, new zealand, south africa, turkey and of course mexiko.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
results of the 3rd gameday:

japan - lithuania 9-0
china - serbia/montenegro 4-3
romania - netherlands 5-4

japan and romania seem to be the strongest and they will face each other on sunday in the last game of the tournament which could probably be a true final unless japan struggles tomorrow against netherlands or romania against china.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
zecke26 said:
it's just division three though. it's the lowest level of junior hockey. the tournament will be played in mexico city next week. six teams will participate: bulgaria, iceland, new zealand, south africa, turkey and of course mexiko.

Iceland belongs in Div 1... they hammered that US team with Joshua Jackson on it like 12-1 in the junior goodwill games a few years ago!

;)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
dawgbone said:
Iceland belongs in Div 1... they hammered that US team with Joshua Jackson on it like 12-1 in the junior goodwill games a few years ago!

;)

hehehe. at least iceland has some natural ice compared to their opponents. i wonder who's the favorite out of these six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad