News Article: Dissolving the Union

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Since the NHLPA is headed twords a cliff and has voted to dissolve the union, the NHL is seeking to have all contracts null and void - does this mean everyone would be a free agent? After years of icing a lousy team, we have drafted well and have a very solid team now and in the future.

Due to being a low budget team, what happens if Pie heads to another team along with some of our top young players?

How would you feel if the Blues had to go through another rebuild?

Would you return to hockey if we had to go through another 5-6 year rebuild?

Honestly, I have missed Hockey this year. But I don't think I would want to sit through another rebuild.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If we lost the core of our team, because of this completely unnecessary lockout I'd give up the NHL no problem. It's one thing to lose players to UFA, but this would be completely different. But I don't think we'll see every contract voided, this is just more posturing.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
More time to devote to other things. They can **** right the hell off if there's another rebuild.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Highly doubt it'll get this far. It's a game of chicken. I'd stick with them, embarrassingly. I like hockey too much.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
It will never happen, but if we got our core stolen, and iced a ****** team, I'd be done with the NHL no questions asked. I love hockey, but that would just be a sham.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
So we aren't real fans because we're willing to stand up against this (hypothetical) bull ****?

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I would never abandon the team because I'm not a bandwagoner.

this ain`t no Bandwagon or hardcore-fan question, the question here is how much you let them push you around

I know they already fooled me alot but this would be the last act between me and the NHL...I just have to admit that I would watch the free agenzy, watch how the teams would look like

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So we aren't real fans because we're willing to stand up against this (hypothetical) bull ****?
The Blues have been around for 45 years with no Cup. What's another 6 years to me? Yeah it'd suck, but I'm not gonna quit rooting for the Blues just because they go through a rebuild. I think the NHL would be Pejorative Slured to do this and I think it's a last-straw solution that probably won't ever happen, but I'd sure as hell rather this happen than for there to be no hockey at all. That's just my opinion on it. I'm tired of the lockout. Just give me hockey, I'm not saying I ever want this hypothetical thing to happen because yeah it wouldn't work out well for us, but if it did happen and it meant they resumed playing, I would suck it up. I just wanna watch hockey, but that's fine if many disagree with me. I just don't think I could ever quit watching the NHL...As much as they might deserve to lose fans, I'm too attached at this point to cut ties. Now would I go to as many games as I do now? Probably not, but I would still watch just about every game on TV. Sorry if my post came across as harsh...I'm just saying I will always root for the Blue Note regardless of what the roster looks like. The 2005-2006 season was painful...but I watched all 82 of those sad games :laugh:, so no point in stopping now IMO.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
As much as I like the make up of this team I'm a Blues fan. This lock out hurts more than just the fans. The staff, vendors, reataurants and many more. How can I have any sympathy for a roster full of multi millionaires?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It would never happen. The only teams that would be certain to benefit from it would be the Canadian teams; teams like PIT, NYR, BOS, LAK etc might not end up worse off but aren't going to get significantly better from such a move. Some American teams would benefit (COL maybe), but overall such a move would send a pretty clear message to the fanbases of the smaller teams.

If the insanity did go ahead, I honestly don't think the League would survive as a 30 team League.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The Blues have been around for 45 years with no Cup. What's another 6 years to me? Yeah it'd suck, but I'm not gonna quit rooting for the Blues just because they go through a rebuild. I think the NHL would be Pejorative Slured to do this and I think it's a last-straw solution that probably won't ever happen, but I'd sure as hell rather this happen than for there to be no hockey at all. That's just my opinion on it. I'm tired of the lockout. Just give me hockey, I'm not saying I ever want this hypothetical thing to happen because yeah it wouldn't work out well for us, but if it did happen and it meant they resumed playing, I would suck it up. I just wanna watch hockey, but that's fine if many disagree with me. I just don't think I could ever quit watching the NHL...As much as they might deserve to lose fans, I'm too attached at this point to cut ties. Now would I go to as many games as I do now? Probably not, but I would still watch just about every game on TV. Sorry if my post came across as harsh...I'm just saying I will always root for the Blue Note regardless of what the roster looks like. The 2005-2006 season was painful...but I watched all 82 of those sad games :laugh:, so no point in stopping now IMO.

Apology accepted.

This would be like 2004 all over when Laurie left sold the team. Losing our young core to teams like Detroit - to replace them with mid level vets... yeah... I would turn my back on hockey.

I love the sport and hope that my kids choose to play it, but there comes a point as a fan, when you can say enough is enough. It is one thing to have a change in ownership and have to sell off your top players to cut payroll, but to lose them this way wouldn't be fair.

Personally, I think most of us have found other things to do with our time and while we miss the Blues and will return when the season starts - if this nuclear winter occured, most moderate fans wouldn't return. 12 yeqrs of rebuilding is way too long for the average fan base - especailly when you are at the top of the mountain after a long hike up, demonstrating a ton of patience as the team was built the correct way - to fall to the bottom and have to start over... no thanks.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

I am not going to claim to know what I will decide, but my gut says I will continue on strongly as a Blues fan.Your story is just about spot on for my case as well.

As for the NHL, I will not follow other games outside the Blues. No more watching nationally televised games, NHL Network, nor visiting NHL.com... at least not for a few years. If I can think of other ways to show my disgust for the league then my list will grow.

If the Blues cease to exist in the NHL, I will be done with the league. That does not mean I will quit watching/following hockey. Rather, my time will be spent following other leagues. I liken that to how I can watch college football and basketball, but want nothing to do with the NBA or NFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad