Movies: Disney's Aladdin [Live Action] (Directed by Guy Ritchie)

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I actually think Will Smith is a pretty good choice. A list actor with singing and comedy chops. It can work. The Genie is probably the hardest role to cast due to Robin Williams legacy from the role.

Don't know much about the others, but, I think it's good that they seem to do a lot to find people who fit the roles.

My biggest concern is the tone of the film, as I'm not sure how it translates to live action.

Take the songs out, and it's a pretty standard action romance tale that you can see a director like Ritchie tackle, but throwing in half a dozen musical numbers and its a very different movie. It worked as an animated film, but not sure it can maintain that same approach as live action.

I was actually hoping NPH would've been the Genie, though who knows, he might not have wanted the Robin Williams comparisons even if offered. Seemed like the perfect fit of energy, comedy, and Broadway talent.

I'll definitely watch the movie but with low expectations. Was actually really hyped for Beauty and the Beast but was pretty disappointed. :laugh: Gaston was the only bright spot when compared to the classic.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
OK this is not the genie I was expecting....

DuyMm6rXgAAKQ-c.jpg:large

Dux9xImUUAAGwMu.jpg:large

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Will Smith sounded like a terrible idea for the genie and that look of his just reaffirms that. He looks like a Sinbad knockoff.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Early 30s is over the hill now? I suddenly feel really old.

It is for that character, who's supposed to be, what, 19? Either way, a young, naïve, starry-eyed adventurer, which would best serve that story one would think. Dude looks like he's already been to and from the cave of wonders a few times and seen some real shit.

Reactions: Amerika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad