Disney Star Wars General Discussion

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kenobi being delayed indefinitely just is more evidence to me Kathleen Kennedy has no clue what she’s doing

This is a softball for Disney, one of the easiest “win” for content they could make, and they’ve managed to bungle it

I pray someone with some semblance of competency takes over once her contract is up next year

How do you know this if you haven't read the scripts?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes we can and it wasn't. Lord & Miller were going for a Ace Ventura type Solo which would have been the absolute worst.
Solo is what made Disney realize they were doing something wrong. It lost money and ended their anthology projects. Even if we want to go under the idea that she made the correct decision to change directors, I don't give credit to people for cleaning up a mess that they themselves made. If KK did a good job with Solo, that project never would've needed to change directors.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Disney looking for a new writer and cutting the episode count suggests to me that they don't like how much the current script is going to cost and want to find someone who can either trim it down or write a whole new, more reasonably priced script. That makes it seem to me like they're putting cost ahead of quality. Cost is important, but Disney is so wealthy and Disney+ is so fledgling that maybe they should follow Netflix's lead and worry more about quality, trusting that quality will lead to subscriptions.

Besides, if they really want to be so concerned with cost, they should consider that four episodes released a week apart means that people can subscribe, watch the whole run and cancel before the month is up. Six episodes, on the other hand, would require staying subscribed for an extra month, which would be a lot of extra revenue to help offset those two extra episodes.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Disney looking for a new writer and cutting the episode count suggests to me that they don't like how much the current script is going to cost and want to find someone who can either trim it down or write a whole new, more reasonably priced script. That makes it seem to me like they're putting cost ahead of quality. Cost is important, but Disney is so wealthy and Disney+ is so fledgling that maybe they should follow Netflix's lead and worry more about quality, trusting that quality will lead to subscriptions.

Besides, if they really want to be so concerned with cost, they should consider that four episodes released a week apart means that people can subscribe, watch the whole run and cancel before the month is up. Six episodes, on the other hand, would require staying subscribed for an extra month, which would be a lot of extra revenue to help offset those two extra episodes.

You're making a lot of commentary based on a pretty big assumption. Disney hasn't really shown any sign at all that they're afraid to spend money, so I don't see why they'd randomly do that here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You're making a lot of commentary based on a pretty big assumption. Disney hasn't really shown any sign at all that they're afraid to spend money, so I don't see why they'd randomly do that here.

I would call it an interpretation rather than an assumption. Semantics aside, if there's another interpretation for why the episode count would be cut to only four episodes while a new writer is being sought, I'm genuinely interested to hear it.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ever seen The Lego Movie?

No, but don't you have discussions with these directors before you hire them as to what their vision for the film is? Don't you think that somewhere in the hiring process you should make sure you're on the same page? Unless they went completely rogue and told her one thing and did something else entirely. Even so, with all the other drama with Edwards' movie getting reshot and edited, Lord and Miller, Trevorrow, Trank, etc. it doesn't exactly reflect well on KK. She's a great movie producer, but has been terrible running the creative side of Star Wars. She's made Disney a ton of money no doubt, but given what a global franchise Star Wars is, you'd almost have to try to not make a ton of money with it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I would call it an interpretation rather than an assumption. Semantics aside, if there's a another interpretation for why the episode count would be cut to only four episodes while a new writer is being sought, I'm genuinely interested to hear it.

Maybe they have a timeline they want to get it done by so it doesn’t interrupt other things, so they are shortening the process now.

I’m assuming they want this done before they start moving onto and marketing for their new set of movies, so it would make sense to get it done in a more timely fashion.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Sources say the initial scripts followed Obi-Wan as he took a young Luke Skywalker — and maybe also a young Leia — under his wing.

If that's true I can see why they scrapped those scripts.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Maybe they have a timeline they want to get it done by so it doesn’t interrupt other things, so they are shortening the process now.

I’m assuming they want this done before they start moving onto and marketing for their new set of movies, so it would make sense to get it done in a more timely fashion.

That's a pretty big assumption. Sorry, I couldn't help myself :). Seriously, though, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to cut the episode count because of a schedule, yet search for a new writer. If speedy completion were most important, they'd just produce the script that they have, and 6 episodes of it would probably still be done sooner than 4 episodes of a yet-unwritten script.

If that's true I can see why they scrapped those scripts.

The cynic in me doubts that that's the reason and suspects that it's the one thing that Disney liked about the script. Anyways, after reading that the other day, I watched the scene in ANH when Leia watches Obi-Wan die and, yep, she has no reaction (because she never knew him). She later comforts Luke and doesn't look the least bit sad.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
That's a pretty big assumption. Sorry, I couldn't help myself :). Seriously, though, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to cut the episode count because of a schedule, yet search for a new writer. If speedy completion were most important, they'd just produce the script that they have, and 6 episodes of it would probably still be done sooner than 4 episodes of a yet-unwritten script.

The part I was assuming was that they want this done before the next set of movies starts up.

I’d argue that’s not a big assumption... at all. Obi-Wan, while loved, is a huge part of the Skywalker saga. I would not be surprised if they want to to move on from that before they start up the new set of movies and move away from the Skywalker stuff for the most part.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Rogue One was quite good. The others were bad to horrible. I haven't tried The Mandalorian yet but I will give it a shot. All I hope for is subsequent movies to stay away from the characters we've already seen, focus on new stories in different parts of the galaxy, and stick to the general tone of Star Wars movies rather than Marvel movies. I'm fine with a mix of hits and misses but Disney's ratio thus far isn't impressive.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Rogue One was quite good. The others were bad to horrible. I haven't tried The Mandalorian yet but I will give it a shot. All I hope for is subsequent movies to stay away from the characters we've already seen, focus on new stories in different parts of the galaxy, and stick to the general tone of Star Wars movies rather than Marvel movies. I'm fine with a mix of hits and misses but Disney's ratio thus far isn't impressive.
You probably won't be disappointed in The Mandalorian.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
If episodes 7-9 were all new stories with all new characters, it would have been so much better. I posted this before they started writing 7.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
If episodes 7-9 were all new stories with all new characters, it would have been so much better. I posted this before they started writing 7.

It would have been very simple to introduce new characters with the old and have them sent off to have their own adventures. Luke creating a Jedi Academy and being the grand old wizard like Yoda/Ben in the original series would have been just right. Leia as the retired chancellor/president whatever. Han as HER HUSBAND. Their kids. Very easy.

They didn't just go in the opposite they totally killed EVERYTHING about the original trilogy. Essentially the entire first three movies- no six movies- are totally irrelevant.

How bloody stupid.

I never finished the original trilogy nor will I ever. The Last Jedi was the last movie I will ever see with Star Wars in the title.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It would have been very simple to introduce new characters with the old and have them sent off to have their own adventures. Luke creating a Jedi Academy and being the grand old wizard like Yoda/Ben in the original series would have been just right. Leia as the retired chancellor/president whatever. Han as HER HUSBAND. Their kids. Very easy.

They didn't just go in the opposite they totally killed EVERYTHING about the original trilogy. Essentially the entire first three movies- no six movies- are totally irrelevant.

How bloody stupid.

Exactly, Star Wars isn't deep art and there should have been some fundamental feel good pay off in seeing what the OT cast has been up to. . While personally at the time I loved The Force Awakens and wasn't bothered by the 'it's just a rehash of A New Hope' thing, in hindsight it was probably the worst movie of the trilogy in terms of story. Great movie on it's own that hit some nostalgia points, but absolutely horrible setup for the continuation of the Star Wars saga.

With hindsight looking at the big picture story line and relating it to world history, if the OT was like the American Revolution and the PT like the Fall of the Roman Republic, the ST should have taken it's page from WWII. Axis vs Allies with new characters leading the story while the OT cast working mostly behind the scenes in leadership positions - and feed the nostalgia by occasionally having Luke come out to kick ass like Yoda does in the PT, or something like that. And to be fair for all it's faults I think TLJ pretty much nailed that part.

Instead though Abrams showed an utter lack of creativity and just used a dumb deus ex machina to quickly wipe out the OT legacy so he could get back to a Rebel vs Empire rehash story.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's as if they looked at the first two trilogies, specifically at Obi-Wan being killed off in ANH, Anakin being killed off in RotJ and Qui-Gon being killed off in TPM, and concluded that Star Wars is all about killing off the old guard and replacing it with the new, so the new trilogy should do the same with Luke, Han and Leia. I get that Ford's stubbornness and Fisher's death forced their hand a little, but the treatment of Luke suggests to me that things probably wouldn't have been much different, otherwise. Star Wars fans didn't want their favorite characters cast aside, changed and/or killed off just because that's the way of things in the franchise. Doing that to a character like Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon in the very same film that he was introduced is a lot different than doing it to a character that fans have loved for 40 years.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's as if they looked at the first two trilogies, specifically at Obi-Wan being killed off in ANH, Anakin being killed off in RotJ and Qui-Gon being killed off in TPM, and concluded that Star Wars is all about killing off the old guard and replacing it with the new, so the new trilogy should do the same with Luke, Han and Leia. I get that Ford's stubbornness and Fisher's death forced their hand a little, but the treatment of Luke suggests to me that things probably wouldn't have been much different, otherwise. Star Wars fans didn't want their favorite characters cast aside, changed and/or killed off just because that's the way of things in the franchise. Doing that to a character like Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon in the very same film that he was introduced is a lot different than doing it to a character that fans have loved for 40 years.

There's only so much you could have done with those OT characters given the actors ages though. You can't really have them running around on adventures like the OT. And I'm not sure those people that loved those characters would have been any happier if they weren't in it at all. There is a way to pass the torch from Han, Leia, and Luke to Poe, Finn, and Rey. They just screwed it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad