TV: Disney re-launching DuckTales (2017)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I tried watching it and didn't like the animation style. The storytelling is also too ADD for my tastes.

The old series was better, although it seems I have outgrown it. The stories that seemed fun and imaginative to my younger self are all too familiar now.

Also you can't swim in coins!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
First season was pretty enjoyable. The character interaction became funnier the longer the season went on. Huey not wanting anyone to know his real name is Hubert. :laugh: And Dewey's Dewfert. :laugh: Catherine Tate as Magica was brilliant.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
My 4 y/o likes it. Doesn't have the same storytelling feel as the original, but I still like it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
D_3Vvv3VUAA9jFv

So Daisy Duck, Chip & Dale, the Genie from the Ducktales movie...

And now there's this:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
D_3Vvv3VUAA9jFv

So Daisy Duck, Chip & Dale, the Genie from the Ducktales movie...

And now there's this:

Also Gosalyn from Darkwing Duck, grown up versions of Kit and Molly from Talespin, Bubba the Cave Duck from the original Ducktales, and Goofy. They've already teased that all the settings of those other shows exist in the show too.

I watched the first season out of curiosity. The original show was something I remember as a kid, but it was easily in 2nd or 3rd place after Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers in terms of the Disney Afternoon heirarchy. It ended up being quite funny and I liked the changes they made (more Donald, real characterization for the nephews, Webby, and Mrs. Beakley) and I love the classic comic book art style.

Even as an adult, it's a decently enjoyable show. I can see it being something good to watch if you have kids without going nuts

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Also Gosalyn from Darkwing Duck, grown up versions of Kit and Molly from Talespin, Bubba the Cave Duck from the original Ducktales, and Goofy. They've already teased that all the settings of those other shows exist in the show too.

I watched the first season out of curiosity. The original show was something I remember as a kid, but it was easily in 2nd or 3rd place after Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers in terms of the Disney Afternoon heirarchy. It ended up being quite funny and I liked the changes they made (more Donald, real characterization for the nephews, Webby, and Mrs. Beakley) and I love the classic comic book art style.

Even as an adult, it's a decently enjoyable show. I can see it being something good to watch if you have kids without going nuts

The inclusion of the Moon theme from the NES game seems to have really wowed the fans on this and it's now perceived as superior to the original, mostly for the reasons you listed. There's so much character development they've managed to fit in this as well. A lot of the humor is aimed at both adults and kids. The ones aimed at adults are definitely meant for fans of of the classic comics and cartoons, as kids are unlikely to know them. Donald Duck comics have been published here since the 50's so for example all the references to Carl Barks stories are an instant hit.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
New episodes began airing this month. I've only watched two of them but some brilliant insight into Donald's rage issues and the fact the hte boys real names are Hubert, Dewfert and...Llewellyn. And this:

Best cartoon dad. Also that 2001 A Space Odyssey nod.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I think we have every one of these on our DVR so far, and we watch them all the time. The kid loves it, and I enjoy it more than I thought I would.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
More and more people are now of the opinion that this is now far superior than the original.

I assume this new series holds more closely to the comics, right? I was never into them, but I did have a couple as a kid. I read what I had, but didn't really get into the overall storylines much. If that's accurate then I can definitely see why people would prefer this over the original cartoon.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I assume this new series holds more closely to the comics, right? I was never into them, but I did have a couple as a kid. I read what I had, but didn't really get into the overall storylines much. If that's accurate then I can definitely see why people would prefer this over the original cartoon.

Yes there's so much comics related references or storylines. "Christmas on Bear Mountain" was literally mentioned in the Christmas episode, Barksian Modulator Gyro used to make Donald sound like Don Cheadle. They're also more like their comic counterparts in behaviour, though the boys never had this much individual personality. The fact that Louie refers to himself as the "evil triplet" because he's inherited Scrooge's hunger for money and treasure, is reason enough to raise this to another level. :laugh:

I'm actually somewhat hopeful Disney might do an animated movie or miniseries on Don Rosa's "The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck" for Disney+.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched Moonvasion. Haven't laughed this hard for while. Some completely unexpectedly crazy stuff. Plus some feels.

Donald's "Wilson"... :biglaugh:

Scrooge: "You were prepared for our best but not for our dumbest."
Glomgold: " And I am the dumbest there's ever been! Ahahahaa! Wait..."

Reactions: Ozz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Season 3 began last weekend. Episode 2 was so much fun and meta.

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers cameo in episode 3!

Quoting this from the show's thread at superherohype.com forums:

I don't know any other words to describe the Ducktales writing staff than Galaxy Brain

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad