Movies: OFFICIAL : Disney has acquired Fox

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
No no no, not monopoly in comics. The comics themselves are barely even the rounding error of peanuts to Disney.

It's the larger movie business where anti-trust should be looking.

You're still talking about a complete non necessity good that Disney will control about 30-40% when you look at domestic box office.

That doesn't take into account that the entire media landscape has changed.

There will be consumer impact, as well as impact to theatre owners who will get squeezed as remaining players have more leverage, but, we're still talking about Hollywood movies here. There's more important industries where competitive imbalance should be a focus.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Sounds like it's a done deal.

I would prefer more competition in this space, but, for anyone lamenting that things are going to move towards more and more kid friendly blockbusters, remember to support the movies you want to see more of in the theatre.

I like a good popcorn movie as the next person, and the theatre near me plays the big blockbusters almost exclusively, but when a smaller film that's been getting good buzz plays near me, I try to make a point to go when I can, as I want those options to be there more often.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
From Media reports its sounding like Disney are going to be acquiring Fox's shares in Sky TV in the UK as well as part of that deal. Guessing that ends the planned Fox take over of Sky that's been on the cards for the last year almost.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Hulu will now be a MAJOR competitor of Netflix. If there is any loser with that part in mind, it's cable companies. Another much better option.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It's amazing how this is a $50B deal that has massive implications on how media will be produced, consumed and distributed for decades, but the headlines almost all focus on the rights to a comic book franchise.

Still confused on how the sports rights will work now

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
As predicted by the Simpsons:

szph0m2r11jcyokvwtop.png

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is the basis for a massive and I mean massive streaming empire. Make some room Netflix/Amazon.

I really really hope they don't try and change anything creative with Fox's TV assets like Family Guy and The Simpsons.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I remember seeing a tweet that Apple could buy all sports teams in North America with cash, and still have a good portion leftover.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Disney will produce R-Rated films.

We now have confirmation from the head of Disney himself, CEO Bob Iger, that Deadpool can remain R-rated at Disney. In fact, if Iger's comments are any indication, this acquisition and, more specifically, gaining Deadpool indicate a willingness by Disney to branch out into the R-rated film business.

Iger is completely behind embracing that mature nature of Deadpool and wants to allow the franchise to continue forward as initially planned. Deadpool and its sequels now have the support of Iger, and we can expect to see more R-rated content from our favorite Merc with a Mouth and one of our favorite comic book actors, Ryan Reynolds.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/dead...other-r-rated-movies-being-considered-a156345

Reactions: Voight

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Deadpool was garbage.
And look who is here to complain about Deadpool!

Deadpool was amazing and the second one looks like it won't disappoint either. Not at all surprised that Disney will branch into the R rated movies, with this kind of a acquisition they really don't have much choice. Their shareholders want money and you need to have all levels of movie rating to make the most.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Disney will produce R-Rated films.

We now have confirmation from the head of Disney himself, CEO Bob Iger, that Deadpool can remain R-rated at Disney. In fact, if Iger's comments are any indication, this acquisition and, more specifically, gaining Deadpool indicate a willingness by Disney to branch out into the R-rated film business.

Iger is completely behind embracing that mature nature of Deadpool and wants to allow the franchise to continue forward as initially planned. Deadpool and its sequels now have the support of Iger, and we can expect to see more R-rated content from our favorite Merc with a Mouth and one of our favorite comic book actors, Ryan Reynolds.

CBM News Archive

Hopefully they will also leave The Simpsons and Family Guy alone. I.e. Family Guy used to make jokes about Fox and they didn't care.

Deadpool was garbage.

I find it was overrated but it certainly wasn't garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad