Movies: OFFICIAL : Disney has acquired Fox

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Disney Now Expects To Complete Fox Purchase By June.

Disney Now Expects To Complete Fox Purchase By June

In a new SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) filing, The Walt Disney Company notes the in-progress acquisition of Fox and states, "expect deal will close before June 2019." This somewhat contradicts a report from earlier this month that the deal was expected to close by March, though it's unclear whether this is the result of delays, or whether Disney is simply being overly cautious in its report to the SEC.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It's now official, Disney has acquired Fox.

Disney Finally Closes Its $71.3 Billion Acquisition of 21st Century Fox

giphy.webp

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I still struggle to wrap my head around this whole deal and what the long term impacts will be.

I feel like further consolidation in the industry should be expected, but not sure what that look's like. Do the other studios (Time-Warner, Universal, Paramount, Sony) start merging? Do the streaming companies (Netflix, Amazon)and buy other studios to compete with Disney? Does Disney try and buy other studios to build out content?

The battles for streaming service supremacy seems to be the goal, and when the dust settles, is there still investments made into original content, or is this a short term bubble that will he looked back by showrunners as a golden agent for getting projects greenlit?

I'm really curious how this ultimately goes down.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This all leads into Disneys streaming service thats supposed to launch later this year or next year.

Between Fox, Marvel, ABC, ESPN and all of Disneys other assets its going to be overloaded with content and worth the $$$.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Disney now has full control of Hulu. They will move forward with all the Fox and FX content along with some original shows on Hulu, and all the Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. stuff on Disney +.

Reactions: Guardian17

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Disney now has full control of Hulu. They will move forward with all the Fox and FX content along with some original shows on Hulu, and all the Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. stuff on Disney +.
I thought they were still releasing some Marvel stuff (mainly M rated Marvel) on Hulu?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well this is... unfortunate. Probably should have seen it coming

Disney is giving it's classic Fox Movie collection their "vault" treatment

Now, Fox classics are going into the vault as well, for reasons the company won’t publicly explain or justify. And Disney’s vaultification of Fox titles is bad news for movie theaters that depend on repertory screenings to shore up their increasingly shaky bottom lines. The decision to broaden Disney’s artificial scarcity tactic to include thousands of movies released by a onetime rival is a wounding blow to a swath of theatrical venues that used to be able to show them, and where film buffs were able to see them with an audience.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Well this is... unfortunate. Probably should have seen it coming

Disney is giving it's classic Fox Movie collection their "vault" treatment

This is a garbage decision, though a predictable one. No reason to limit access other than the perception of sheer boundless greed. I'd love to see some prominent filmmakers currently associated with Disney speak out against this practice. Can't imaging they'd ever want their work hidden away from the public for arbitrary reasons.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->