Movies: OFFICIAL : Disney has acquired Fox

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Would you rather have a bigger all cash up front deal or a smaller cash deal with shares in the company? Personally I'd go for the latter seeing how Disney has done so far this year.

At the end of the day I'd be okay with Disney not getting all of the content but making a deal to get all the Marvel IP. I want a complete MCU but not at the cost of a monopoly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think Fox may have accidentally written a way to bring the X-Men into the MCU. On the show The Gifted, the X-Men "disappeared". Just have them suddenly re-appear in the MCU. :D

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Seems the deal could be closed in the first half of next year. Disney just needs to get sell off the Fox Sports regional networks and get EU approval.

Though I find some of her reviews offputting, Grace Randolph hinted that Dark Phoenix and New Mutants could be axed.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I wonder if they're going to find a way to shoehorn mutants into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the next Infinity War film.... like, whatever the heck they do to undo the snap also creates mutants somehow in the process?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Venom apparently sucks. Dark Phoenix, the follow up to a really disappointing Apocalypse, has been delayed and gone through reshoots, Fantastic Four is 0-3 and has never been good. The DCU is a disaster as well. Apparently the MCU is literally the only way we can get good/great superhero movies.

I think the next big thing the MCU should do after IW is to reboot the Xmen and Fantastic 4. Do it their way and do it well. It'll give them a brand new (to them) huge cast of characters and villains they can take their time with. They can do smaller scale, individualized films for the characters they want and slowly build things up. Culminate it all with team up films going up against Galactus, Silver Surfer, and/or Dr. Doom.

They can essentially do a redux of the last 10 years but with the Xmen and Fantastic Four instead of the Avengers. Seems like the most logical way to go about things because after IW2 I'm not sure (assuming Tony, Cap, Thor, Hulk are done) people will care all that much about movies involving the secondary avengers.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well, Deadpool has been solid, so add that to the list, and at least Wonder Woman by herself as well one title in.

But yeah, the Fantastic Four being part of the deal is of literally zero interest to me.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Venom apparently sucks. Dark Phoenix, the follow up to a really disappointing Apocalypse, has been delayed and gone through reshoots, Fantastic Four is 0-3 and has never been good. The DCU is a disaster as well. Apparently the MCU is literally the only way we can get good/great superhero movies.

I think the next big thing the MCU should do after IW is to reboot the Xmen and Fantastic 4. Do it their way and do it well. It'll give them a brand new (to them) huge cast of characters and villains they can take their time with. They can do smaller scale, individualized films for the characters they want and slowly build things up. Culminate it all with team up films going up against Galactus, Silver Surfer, and/or Dr. Doom.

They can essentially do a redux of the last 10 years but with the Xmen and Fantastic Four instead of the Avengers. Seems like the most logical way to go about things because after IW2 I'm not sure (assuming Tony, Cap, Thor, Hulk are done) people will care all that much about movies involving the secondary avengers.
I would keep the universes separate... I think bloating the MCU *too much* is going to result in diminishing returns. The fact that IW worked is shocking, because it required investment of a lot of different characters in their own stories. But if you increase the stories even further, you risk diluting it.

Instead, I would treat X-Men like I treat the Avengers. Tell smaller stories, build up to an Avengers team-up where it's a pay off rather than a standalone. Avengers works as a pay off. IW works as a *massive* pay off. A lot of iconic X-Men stories require that build. Dark Phoenix works because we're attached to Jean Grey and comfortable with the Phoenix Force over years of comics.

I think you can fold the FF into the MCU. Basically Reed Richards can take over the Tony Stark role of having bit parts in a lot of movies. Basically, the only place to go from the IW has to be Galactus as a huge threat.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
@The Macho Man

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I definitely want Xmen and Fantastic Four to NOT be connected to the current MCU characters. I agree they would best be served on their own. I think a tie-in between Xmen and F4 COULD possibly work, but doesn't have to be tried.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No real point in Marvel referencing the X-Men and other characters right now, the current population of the MCU is very popular.

I'd expect them to hold on to the X-Men (I am not even sure they are going to bother with FF to be quite frank) for when they need to create excitement in a lull. Super hero fatigue will happen eventually, it has to.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
E.U. approves Disney / Fox deal.

European authorities have approved Disney’s purchase of 21st Century Fox assets, with conditions attached. The European Commission said that Disney had agreed to offload it’s A&E channels in Europe to alleviate concerns that the Fox deal would eliminate competition in the realm of factual channels.

E.U. Approves Disney-Fox Deal, With Conditions

That means only China is left. It's going to get done far quicker than expected.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm still hoping Avengers: EndGame ends with huge teaser of what's to come. Hopefully with Stan Lee "announcing" it. Something like " The future holds many things for this planet, mighty beings, from the uncanny to the fantastic." Galactus, X-Men and Fantastic 4 references in one sentence.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm still hoping Avengers: EndGame ends with huge teaser of what's to come. Hopefully with Stan Lee "announcing" it. Something like " The future holds many things for this planet, mighty beings, from the uncanny to the fantastic." Galactus, X-Men and Fantastic 4 references in one sentence.

the nerdgasm in the theatres if the end credit scene was something like Charles Xavier rolls in the front door of Avengers headquarters and just says "hello" would be off the charts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad