Advice: Dislocated Pinky Finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hello all

I dislocated my pinky finger on my right hand blocking a shot about a month ago.

Dislocated the DIP and PIP joints (the two actually on the finger, not the knuckle). Both were dorsal (popped out of joint backwards from impact of oncoming puck). I took a month off with a saddle splint, and 4 days ago I was told I could take off the splint and commence physio.

Anyways, I have a hockey game tonight and am wondering if there are any kind of taping, equipment modification, or other tips that would benefit me. Considering wearing the splint as a little extra protection, but that would also make the finger stick out a bit.

I'm right handed so it is my lower hand on the stick. The joints are stable, but stiff. I have worked my way up to about 1/2 the mobility the joint used to have (can't make a fist, but also not stuck doing the Dr. Evil).

I figure someone has probably had a similar experience on here, if so then please advise!

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Do what your doctor tells you to do. If your finger is still injured, you shouldn't be playing. Beer league hockey isn't worth it

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I would echo that as someone that injured their pinky as well. Rec hockey isn't worth possible re-injury. Prior to that I have once tried to play when coming off injury and I basically may as well not been playing, I played scared and basically ineffectively because I was so worried about hurting myself again. Not worth it, just let it heal and when you can go 100% is when you play.

That being said if you want to continue to play, you might actually just want to ask your doctor what he advises you to do to protect your hand.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Taping it to your next finger is the best option. But really who needs a pinky anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce