Dishing the Dirt

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Here are the 3 refs of the PCHA picking the 1917 AS team.

This is the major find, one because it's not an AS we previously had on file, two, his unanimous choice was rare, and 3, he gains versatility in deployment as a RW.

12 Feb 1917, 6 - The Vancouver Sun at Newspapers.com

View attachment 345290

Yep I agree that it is a good one. Though it was briefly discussed here years ago PCHA All-Stars (help wanted) That was around when I got really frustrated about the poor All-Star information. :)

I actually remembered that it was post season selection, but it wasn´t. It was posted lot later in Spokane Daily Chronicle - Google-uutisarkistohaku I believe that Trail?/Total? has used the scorers selection, because like I mentioned before 1919 it was the PCHA´s "official" one.

The Calgary Daily Herald March 12. 1919
By A. P. Garvey about the first Ion´s "official" PCHA all-star
...Heretofore the all-star teams have been selected by the official scorers in the various cities, but they have found it necessary to base their conclusions on what the players have shown at home.,,

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yep I agree that it is a good one. Though it was briefly discussed here years ago PCHA All-Stars (help wanted) That was around when I got really frustrated about the poor All-Star information. :)

I actually remembered that it was post season selection, but it wasn´t. It was posted lot later in Spokane Daily Chronicle - Google-uutisarkistohaku I believe that Trail?/Total? has used the scorers selection, because like I mentioned before 1919 it was the PCHA´s "official" one.

The Calgary Daily Herald March 12. 1919
By A. P. Garvey about the first Ion´s "official" PCHA all-star
...Heretofore the all-star teams have been selected by the official scorers in the various cities, but they have found it necessary to base their conclusions on what the players have shown at home.,,

Thanks! I really appreciated your additions as well sir.

Yeah, the AS nods aren't easy finds, that's to be sure haha. I just typed Mickey Ion in the search engine and thankfully it brought up most of the years over Harris' career. Just had to sift through hundreds of hits.

Honestly though, this newspapers.com subscription has been more than worth the $75 for 6 months of unlimited access. I've been reinvigorated in terms of research. It's something that is quite tedious but I honestly love it as it gives me an escape from all the noise going on in the world right now. Many late nights over the past month to say the least haha.

Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Thanks! I really appreciated your additions as well sir.

Yeah, the AS nods aren't easy finds, that's to be sure haha. I just typed Mickey Ion in the search engine and thankfully it brought up most of the years over Harris' career. Just had to sift through hundreds of hits.

Honestly though, this newspapers.com subscription has been more than worth the $75 for 6 months of unlimited access. I've been reinvigorated in terms of research. It's something that is quite tedious but I honestly love it as it gives me an escape from all the noise going on in the world right now. Many late nights over the past month to say the least haha.

I have enjoyed your research much too.

Yep I haven´t spent this time with research in some years. Though I have used the time to sort of my old researches. I go to work normally (I know I am lucky with that), but outside that the things to do in freetime is limited. And it is a good non-narcotic escape. :)

Yeah I have on and off newspapers.com subscribtion. Though what was the biggest impact for me in research is when the google archives search engine "broke". It forced me to scroll papers and hockey seasons day by day. And that is journey of its own. :) Newspapers.com isn´t that easy to scroll day by day like the google archives.

Though I agree that finding spesific information is easier with the engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I also really like the detail that Hewitt describes the 1916 All Star's. Another year of sterling play away from Cyclone Taylor. Harris clearly wasn't just benefiting from playing on a stacked Vancouver team.

-Specifically states he didn't just throw the top scorer on the team, Kerr because he "lacked stamina and had inability to go full route (game)"

-Lloyd Cook (2nd team) faded down the stretch, hence why he finished behind Harris.

-Really great overview as to why Harris as the 1st team pick over Cook and others.

19 Feb 1916, 10 - The Province at Newspapers.com

"Fred Harrs of Portland has been the same old Fred in every game this season, always a persistent and relentless check (defensive ability) and a pretty handy man to have round on the attack (budding offense), too as the figures will show. Fred goes at top speed from start to finish (endurance) and for that reason, as well as his willingness to work into combination with the other men on the forward line, give him the call."

upload_2020-5-7_10-3-9.png

upload_2020-5-7_10-3-58.png

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Yeah the year by year breakdowns, Harris's early PCHA seasons were impressive but he was on the Millionaires.

Then he goes to Portland and puts up similarly impressive seasons. Then comes back to Vancouver and puts up similar points with old man Taylor.

I think he's kind of grossly underrated. He's such a unique skillset a playmaking, two way somewhat physical LW

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
@Sanf @TheDevilMadeMe @ResilientBeast

Also, wanted to say I'm coming around on Hugh Lehman. I'm still quite low on him as a postseason goalie and the competition he had in net early in the PCHA but it is quite clear the most knowledgeable hockey folks in the west thought him the best net minder most seasons. The Tony Esposito comparison is pretty damn apt. I don't think either are quite top 20 G's all time but it's hard to ignore the regular season accolades of both, especially Lehman.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah the year by year breakdowns, Harris's early PCHA seasons were impressive but he was on the Millionaires.

Then he goes to Portland and puts up similarly impressive seasons. Then comes back to Vancouver and puts up similar points with old man Taylor.

I think he's kind of grossly underrated. He's such a unique skillset a playmaking, two way somewhat physical LW

Agreed.

I absolutely think he's one of the best defensive players in hockey between 1912 and 1922. It's cited numerous times. His reputation as a back checker was incredible, especially considering he developed into a premium scorer during his 2nd stint in Vancouver. Even in Portland you started to see him assert his offensive acumen. Harris wasn't a pure checker by any means. But when you're called without equal as a back checker, more than once, especially as a winger, I'd say that puts you into rare air.

One of the roughest and toughest players in the PCHA, again numerous times cited. His early career PIM totals are a testament to his playing style. Through 1916 he was among the PIM leaders although he did reduce those minutes considerably once he went back to Vancouver.

His elite speed makes him unique in that most players who play his style aren't blessed with the rare skating ability Harris possessed.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
@Sanf @TheDevilMadeMe @ResilientBeast

Also, wanted to say I'm coming around on Hugh Lehman. I'm still quite low on him as a postseason goalie and the competition he had in net early in the PCHA but it is quite clear the most knowledgeable hockey folks in the west thought him the best net minder most seasons. The Tony Esposito comparison is pretty damn apt. I don't think either are quite top 20 G's all time but it's hard to ignore the regular season accolades of both, especially Lehman.

Out of curiosity how do you see the goalie competition in east lets say from around 1914-1915 onwards?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Out of curiosity how do you see the goalie competition in east lets say from around 1914-1915 onwards?

Well lets take a look from the inception of the NHA onward:

• Even in the first year there are some really big names.
  • Vezina bursts onto the scene in 1911 and instantly dominates.
  • Many great duels with Benedict
  • You see multiple HOF'ers in the east in every year, sometimes more than 2.
  • At the end of the day the top end talent in net was far better in the east and I'd wager the depth as well, outside of maybe 1917, 20/21.

1910:

upload_2020-5-7_14-53-13.png

1911:

upload_2020-5-7_14-52-29.png

1912:

upload_2020-5-7_14-55-0.png

1913:

upload_2020-5-7_14-56-11.png

upload_2020-5-7_14-57-30.png

upload_2020-5-7_14-59-0.png

1916:

upload_2020-5-7_15-0-50.png

1917:

upload_2020-5-7_15-2-26.png

1918:

upload_2020-5-7_15-3-38.png

1919:

upload_2020-5-7_15-5-23.png

1920:

1920-goalies-nhl.jpg

1921:

1921-goalies-nhl.jpg

1922:

1922-goalies-nhl.jpg

1923:

1923-goalies-nhl.jpg

1924:

1924-goalies-nhl.jpg

1925:

1925-goalies-nhl.jpg

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Well lets take a look from the inception of the NHA onward:

• Even in the first year there are some really big names.
  • Vezina bursts onto the scene in 1911 and instantly dominates.
  • Many great duels with Benedict
  • You see multiple HOF'ers in the east in every year, sometimes more than 2.
  • At the end of the day the top end talent in net was far better in the east and I'd wager the depth as well, outside of maybe 1917, 20/21.

I made the cut line to 1914 because prior to that I agree NHA had great goaltending. LeSueur still had gas. Moran was playing great. Yes Vezina did great from the start. Holmes wasn´t instant star, but pro quality nevertheless. Benedict was young phenom.

But from 1914 onwards NHA/NHL struggled. (This feels bad because there are some of my favourite goalies but in truth they just were done. Would love to make post of their better parts of career.) Ofcourse there was the season when Holmes played there when they had really strong trio. And the arrival of Forbes (roughly on the Fowlers level IMO) and Roach eventually made it stronger. Sure many of this goalies got praise from games here and there, but this is more of overall view.

Last few seasons from Paddy Moran were not great ones. And at the end he wasn´t that keen to play anymore. There just wasn´t anyone to replace him.

The Ottawa Journal 2. Mar 1915
Quebec will have the redoubtable Paddy Moran in the nets. Paddy has has some off nights this season, and the Ottawa players are hoping that he has one tomorrow...

The Ottawa Citizen 5. Feb 1916
...Moran´s feet have also been bothering him and it looks as though the veteran ought to hang up his stick and give away to a younster. Several of the Quebec players blame Moran for their recent reverses but were loath to complain because of the popularity of "Paddy" and the great work his done in the past...
...Hundreds of Quebec people paid their good money to see Moran perform in his acrobatic style. Good goalkeepers are scarce just now.

The Ottawa Citizen 11. Nov 1916

Quebec considered Paddy Moran close to the brink last season and were breaking in a successor toward the finish of the schedule. Mike has his lines cast for a local boy.

Vancouver Daily World 23. Nov 1916
...Quebec´s old standby, is not anxious to play this season, though he will turn out if necessary.

Ottawa Citizen - Jan 12, 1917
Loyal to Moran
Most of the Quebec players want Sammy Hebert in the nets, but club sentiments is strong for the veteran Paddy Moran. During Wednesday´s game Russell Crawford skated over to the penalty bench and shouted; "Put Hebert in there" Mike Quinn declined to make the change.

The Ottawa Citizen 27. Nov 1917
Good bye Paddy Moran! It will be noticed that the celebrated old goalkeeper of the Quebec club was not drawn by any of the clubs in the new National League. Mike Quinn announced that Moran was through and Paddy´s name was thus rubbed off the list. Moran played goal for Quebec for about fifteen years and was one of the greatest that ever strapped in the pads....

Still teams were after his services because the small pool of goalies that the NHA had wasn´t that great.

The Ottawa Citizen 3. Dec 1917

Goalkeeper George Leblanc will get another tryout with the Wanderers. They hoped to get Paddy Moran, but he refused to leave old "Kebec" Art Ross insists that all his players shall reside in Montreal.

Calgary Herald 20. Dec 1917
As a result of the poor showing of Goalers Hebert and Brooks at Montreal. Manager Querrie will either sign "Paddy" Moran of Quebec or Collette for goaler of the ex-champion Riversides.

Percy LeSueur wasn´t the same either. He was at the end average pro goalie. But like Moran when they needed goalie LeSueur was still one of the guys they considered.

The Vancouver Sun Jan 28. 1916

Wanderers will miss Percy LeSueur if he drops out of the N.H.A. He was one of the best men Wanderers had while he was playing for Torontos.

The Ottawa Citizen Jan 30. 1917
After Saturday´s match in Montreal, Goalkeeper Billy Nicholson drew his release from Torontos. Eddie Livingstone immediately started out on the trail for Percy LeSueur or Sammy Hebert.

Charlie McCarthy was a goalie and professional boxer. Had somewhat decent season, but asked raise or wanted to PCHA. Lichtenstein said that PCHA can have him.

The Montreal Gazette - Mar 10, 1915
Benedict has more experience in senior hockey than Charles Mccharthy and under the nervous strain may be more useful to his team. McCarthy has played consisteny hockey this season and had to be replaced only one occasion...

Billy Nicholson
is story of his own. He was a very good goalie from I guess 1902 to 1909, but was really badly past his prime when he played in NHA. Had rather unsuccesful stints with Tecumseh, Wanderers and Blueshirts. His career ended when he was replaced by Forward for more than period in the middle of game.

Ottawa Citizen - Jan 3, 1913
Then look over the Tecumsehs, Nicholson himself was branded a "has been" by the Haileybury club which signed Paddy Moran at a fabulous salary three years ago.

The Toronto World - Jan 15, 1914

Billy Nicholson, who failed to make himself famous for the Tecumsehs, made his appearance in the Wanderers net but a lively session in the first period proclaimed that his eyes needed testing badly and he gave way to Boyes, who was only fair.

The Montreal Daily Mail - Feb 2, 1914

"Billy" Nicholson the veteran goalkeeper secured at the start of the season from Toronto, was released yesterday by the Wanderers

Ottawa Citizen - Dec 8, 1914
Wanderers will have a pretty nifty defence if they got a good goaler. Boyes and others whom they tried last year were jokes.

The Morning Leader - Jan 4, 1917
The reason Billy Nicholson played in the nets for the Toronto team of the N.H.A in the first two games was that Claude Wilson the regular goalminder, mysteriously disappeared and it wasn´t until last friday that anything was heard of him.

The Ottawa Citizen 29. Jan 1917

Billy Nicholson showed up so poorly after Wanderers had scored their third goal he was replaced by Keats, who was brought from the forward line for this purpose.

Star-Phoenix 31. Jan 1917

Manager Livingston of the Torontos has released goalkeeper Billy Nicholson who gave another bad performance Saturday against the Wanderers

Bert Lindsay I already talked about. Yes he was on decline, but especially his first season was really good. But gradually declined. He was even brought back to 1918-1919 NHL season after Holmes left. Again there wasn´t much options.

Sammy Hebert was one of the only young goalies in the league. And seemed to be NHA teams answer to everything and nothing. Forever promising. Had decent longetivity, but I only can see him as below average pro goalie.

The Ottawa Citizen 11. Nov 1916

Percy LeSueur will be with the .... instead of the Torontos and this means means that it will be necesseray for the Blue Shirts to get a new net custodian. They have Claude Wilson on their reserve list, but are also said to be negotiating for Sammy Hebert, of the Ottawas. Hebert is a better man than Wilson and one of the most reliable, in fact, in the National Hockey association.

Calgary Herald 20. Dec 1917
As a result of the poor showing of Goalers Hebert and Brooks at Montreal Manager Querrie will either sign "Paddy" Moran of Quebec or Collette for goaler of the ex-champion Riversides.

The Ottawa Citizen 25. Nov 1918

Goalkeeper Sammy Hebert was on his way back to Canada, and he would be here in time to take part in the opening game of the National league, on December 18. Hebert is the property of the Ottawas.

Billy Hague was there. Stanley Cup winner from 1905. Was average to above average mercenary goalie, but way back then. Was with Wanderers (played his only games there) and later Ottawas and even as late as in 1920 Hamilton Tigers were after him. Again shows the small pool of talent.

The Toronto World - Dec 7, 1918

The Ottawas will carry a spare goaler, but have not decided Whether to secure Hebert or Hague

Ottawa Citizen - Dec 21, 1920
Manager Percy Thompson of the Hamilton Tigers, wired to Ottawa yesterday in quest of a goalkeeper and is understood to be negotiating with Billy Hague, formerly of the Senators...

Art Brooks was almost 30 when he arrived to NHA and NHL. I know very little about him. Played in OHA and shortly as pro in Pittsburgh in 1908. Bit odd signing.

Brooks, the new goal tender of the D.A.C., is quite a novelty in that he does nearly all his work in stopping shots with his hands. He is a baseball catcher in the summer time and picks off the shots with an accuracy that is thrilling.

"Mike" Mitchell I mentioned before. Had talent and his first season in PCHA was fine. Got back to after war and sometimes mocked "to be still shellshocked". You can´t really blame him for not being as good as he (maybe) could have been.

Spokane Daily Chronicle - Nov 19, 1917
Ivan Mitchell, one of the best goal tenders who ever graced the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, died last week in a London hospital, as a resuit of wounds received while fighting in France.

Frank Brophy. Came from Montreal senior league. Had rather rough season with Quebec. For the last few games was replaced by Defenceman Harry Mummery.

Howard Lockhart rather unknown goalie for pretty strong 228th battalion team in NHA. Did fairly well considering all. Still average at best. Missed few seasons due to war. Had few years in NHL. Once described a goalie that started well, but quicky wore out his welcome. Clearly weaker than Forbes, but I guess still below average pro.

Long post with lot of trivial stuff, but IMO eastern competition from 1914 to 1922 wasnt´t stronger than PCHA´s. War affected and there wasn´t lot of talent available. Yet again IMO PCHA did even better job on getting good amateur goalies to sign. NHA rather dragged past their prime veterans.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
@Sanf

PCHA Goalies 14-15 through 23-24:

1914-15:

upload_2020-5-7_18-33-59.png

1915-16:

upload_2020-5-7_18-34-20.png

1916-17:

upload_2020-5-7_18-34-42.png

1917-18:

upload_2020-5-7_18-35-15.png

1918-19:

upload_2020-5-7_18-35-41.png

1919-20:

upload_2020-5-7_18-36-16.png

1920-21:

upload_2020-5-7_18-38-59.png

1921-22:

upload_2020-5-7_18-39-30.png

1922-23

upload_2020-5-7_18-39-56.png

1923-24:

upload_2020-5-7_18-40-26.png

I simply don't see the PCHA in the same class as the NHA in terms of goal tending. I just can't get there.

You have to remember the NHA/NHL had prime Vezina/Benedict throughout this time period. To be frank, those 2 guys are a clear tier above anyone who played in the west, ever. Based on that alone the PCHA is going to always be playing catch up in my eyes.

Lehman is the best G to have played in the PCHA. Holmes just behind him. There were no other HOF goalies that set foot in the league as far as i know.

There are a few years where the gap shrinks but in 1922 John Ross Roach shows up in the East and the gap widens again.

Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I simply don't see the PCHA in the same class as the NHA in terms of goal tending. I just can't get there.

You have to remember the NHA/NHL had prime Vezina/Benedict throughout this time period. To be frank, those 2 guys are a clear tier above anyone who played in the west, ever. Based on that alone the PCHA is going to always be playing catch up in my eyes.

Lehman is the best G to have played in the PCHA. Holmes just behind him. There were no other HOF goalies that set foot in the league as far as i know.

There are a few years where the gap shrinks but in 1922 John Ross Roach shows up in the East and the gap widens again.

I don´t know if we are that far at our opinions. In 1910´s I would rank the goalies Vezina, Lehman, and Benedict narrowly over Holmes. So yeah strictly speaking NHA had stronger competition (and from 1910 to 1914 to competition was great). Benedict ofcourse in 1920´s made lot to his resume.

I disagree with the depth after that. Charlie Reid who later made reputation in big-4 league and went even to Stanley Cup finals with Calgary Tigers could not get place to PCHA (boundary league product and was in camps). Fowler and the young Allan cup winners from PCHA IMO were better than the NHA old guys who had sold their souls to Pro hockey long time ago. For a period of time. But none of the other PCHA goalies were Hall Of Famers or even Hall Of Very Goods thats for sure. War and interest to turn pros dilluted the competition and overall from 1914-1924 the competition in pro hockey from goalie spots was weakish.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Some nice finds regarding Art Coulter.

21 Dec 1935, 10 - The Ottawa Citizen at Newspapers.com

Conn Smythe calls Coulter the best Dman in the league (obviously Shore but this is still high praise from a major hockey luminary)
upload_2020-5-15_23-39-8.png

16 Jan 1936, 14 - The Gazette at Newspapers.com

Overview of Coulter-Seibert trade:

Seibert probably breaks faster than Coulter

Coulter famed for expert body checking and brainy defensive play

Hockey minds in Montreal say NY got the better end of the deal

Seibert, perennial holdout, noted to be a tough player to handle

upload_2020-5-15_23-35-43.png

upload_2020-5-15_23-36-14.png

upload_2020-5-15_23-46-30.png

16 Jan 1936, 6 - Edmonton Journal at Newspapers.com

Coulter noted as "near perfect back line blocker"

Considered "one of the brainiest defensemen in the NHL"

upload_2020-5-15_23-41-6.png

upload_2020-5-15_23-41-52.png

10 Feb 1936, 19 - The Herald-News at Newspapers.com

Really cool art and comparison between Coulter/Seibert.

Coulter noted to have many similarities to Ear Seibert

Both hard body checkers

Both excel as puck carries, though Seibert is better overall scorer

Seibert noted, "is a better scorer, but in attempting to score he often has left openings for the opposition to break through"

"Coulter, while not as dangerous a shot, rarely is caught out of position"

upload_2020-5-15_23-48-48.png

upload_2020-5-15_23-50-49.png

8 Feb 1938, Page 10 - The Escanaba Daily Press at Newspapers.com

Hap Holmes picks 1937-38 AS's

Coulter and Shore are his picks for D.

Coulter noted as great puck carrier while being good defensively

upload_2020-5-16_0-5-42.png

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Where would this rank on greatest goalie playoff performance in Montreal History, ballpark? @Habsfan18 @tinyzombies @Theokritos

10 Mar 1923, 22 - The Gazette at Newspapers.com

Gutted Montreal team beats dynasty (1923) Senators 2-1 in game 2 of their 2 game NHL playoff round. Ottawa had won game 1, 2-0 so they advanced on goal differential (3-2). Whoever decided that was a good way to advance a winner should have been jailed :laugh:

Vezina gives greatest display seen in net all year.

Stopped 64 of 65 shots in a 2-1 win. That's utterly insane and pretty neat to see there was obviously stat keeping going on in the early 20's.

I'm finding many instances, even in losses where Vezina is the sole reason the game is even competitive. And I think he faced more shots than any player by a mile looking at some of these game reports. Man was a legend in his day no doubt. Very popular player. Even the opposing city papers are very high on him.

upload_2020-5-29_23-36-35.png

upload_2020-5-29_23-40-1.png

upload_2020-5-29_23-40-57.png

upload_2020-5-29_23-43-19.png

upload_2020-5-29_23-44-18.png

Actually I just looked up most postseason saves in playoff history:

I guess you can add this to the question I posed above:

Vezina's 64 of 65 stops would rank 7th all time. I love research!

upload_2020-5-29_23-54-12.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It's often said that the Winnipeg Jets were the first North American team to play a more European-style game and that might be true, but here is a take by Soviet player Vyacheslav Starshinov on the 1960s Chicago Black Hawks (from his 1971 autobiography):

Our trips to Canada became an annual thing and we got to know the NHL teams pretty well. Gradually we also got to know the hockey clubs in the American cities. (...) Personally, I rooted for the club "Chicago Black Hawks". With its playing style, this club reminded me (of course only remotely) of Spartak Moscow. Maybe that's why I was attracted to it. (...)
Chicago had Bobby Hull and the very interesting center forward Stan Mikita. In goal Glenn Hall was amazing. Other standouts were Pilote and Vasco. (...) And this team plays in a manner that is striking and completely unusual for Canadians. Their style of play is closer to the European one. They are happy to use combinations and they play passes skillfully. It has to be said that the tone in this direction is set by Stan Mikita who sees the rink perfectly well.​
Наши поездки в Канаду стали ежегодными, и нам удалось познакомиться с командами НХЛ довольно близко. Постепенно мы знакомились и с хоккойными клубами американских городов. (...) Что касается меня, то я симпатизирую клубу «Чикаго блэк хоукс» («Черные ястребы»). Чем-то, очень отдаленно конечно, этот клуб напоминает своим игровым почерком «Спартак». Может быть, поэтому я проявил такое
внимание к нему. (...)
В «Чикаго» выступали тогда Бобби Халл, очень интересный центрфорвард Стэн Микита. В воротах изумительно играл Глен Холл. Выделялись также Пиллот, Васко. (...) И играет эта команда тоже очень ярко и для канадцев совершенно необычно.
Их игровая манера ближе к свропейской. Они охотно комбинируют, умело играют в пас. Нужно сказать, что тон в этом направлении задает отлично видящий поле Стан Микита.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
An interesting article with a lot of detailed material about how Connor McDavid plays:

Breaking Down Connor McDavid's Revealing Back-to-Back

I have a question, specifically for @ResilientBeast :
The writer here has this to say:
The first is that in many respects, McDavid plays like a winger. He blows the zone early, winds up very deep in the offensive zone, and as a result it’s typically Kassian or Nugent-Hopkins who’s the first forward back.
So McDavid plays breakouts like a winger, participates in the backcheck like a winger, and plays with natural centre Ryan Nugent Hopkins, who has better FO% numbers than he does (and Draisaitls are even better). So what does McDavid do within the Oilers' gameplan that's specifically the job of a centre? I don't mean in the general sense of putting your best player at centre, but rather what his specific jobs are in each zone with and without the puck, how that compares with what the Oilers' other three centres do, and so on.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
An interesting article with a lot of detailed material about how Connor McDavid plays:

So McDavid plays breakouts like a winger, participates in the backcheck like a winger, and plays with natural centre Ryan Nugent Hopkins, who has better FO% numbers than he does (and Draisaitls are even better). So what does McDavid do within the Oilers' gameplan that's specifically the job of a centre? I don't mean in the general sense of putting your best player at centre, but rather what his specific jobs are in each zone with and without the puck, how that compares with what the Oilers' other three centres do, and so on.

I’m watching the game right now, I’ll try and answer this during one of the intermissions.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

So yes, honestly Conor is pretty much a winger at this point in terms of his offensive contributions but Nuge isn't really even "covering" the center duties of the line. It looks like it falls onto the 3rd wheel Kassian/Archibald to be the low man in support of the defence. Tippet has McDavid playing 24 minutes (through the first 2) this season and I can imagine he's trying to keep him as fresh as possible while maximizing the time he spends on the ice. Kassian himself is actually pretty speedy so he works as the first man back a lot of the time because McDavid when the puck is turned over and going the other way is often super deep in the zone waiting for the puck to get sent around or is somewhere in the action himself. It also seems to depend on the situation in the zone, McDavid will cover the slot occasionally in the defensive zone, but once the puck gets turned over he starts to leak out of the zone or head to the boards for a ring around pass. But our defence make stupid/poor passes that lead to costly turnovers with Connor just flat out of position because he's shifted gears expecting to get a solid breakout pass. The roster's construction these past years are not doing him any favours. I was optimistic that this year we'd finally started to get it.

He's played mostly like this his entire career so far, so it's hard to say if it's an effort thing and no coach has called him out on it. At this point I'm inclined to believe that our coaches realize that we can't win without him going offensively so they've schemed ways to keep him fresher to allow him more energy to expend on the attack.

Draisaitl seems to play lower in the defensive zone and plays like a more traditional center and what I've seen of Turris it's much the same.

Strategically I guess Tipet's goal is to let Conor take the breakout pass leaving the zone early to spread the defence out with his speed and then either make the correct play or just plain old beat the defence himself.

Draisatil can't do this because he isn't nearly as fast, but his line has Yamamoto and Kahun who are competent puck carriers with speed.

Just some observations I've had while watching this disappointment of team, might not be super coherent or detailed but I'm pretty numb to watching them play

Edit: If he wants to win a cup he needs to the hell out of here, because I have a hard time imagining us coming close during his stay here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Engine

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Where would this rank on greatest goalie playoff performance in Montreal History, ballpark? @Habsfan18 @tinyzombies @Theokritos

10 Mar 1923, 22 - The Gazette at Newspapers.com

Gutted Montreal team beats dynasty (1923) Senators 2-1 in game 2 of their 2 game NHL playoff round. Ottawa had won game 1, 2-0 so they advanced on goal differential (3-2). Whoever decided that was a good way to advance a winner should have been jailed :laugh:

Vezina gives greatest display seen in net all year.

Stopped 64 of 65 shots in a 2-1 win. That's utterly insane and pretty neat to see there was obviously stat keeping going on in the early 20's.

I'm finding many instances, even in losses where Vezina is the sole reason the game is even competitive. And I think he faced more shots than any player by a mile looking at some of these game reports. Man was a legend in his day no doubt. Very popular player. Even the opposing city papers are very high on him.

View attachment 348224

View attachment 348225
View attachment 348226
View attachment 348227
View attachment 348228

Actually I just looked up most postseason saves in playoff history:

I guess you can add this to the question I posed above:

Vezina's 64 of 65 stops would rank 7th all time. I love research!

View attachment 348234

Nice! The year before Morenz, Joliat's first year as a Hab- they won the Cup the next year, of course.

The one that jumped to mind was Roy's 60 something saves in 1994 vs Boston and vs Rangers in 86, the 93 run... Halak had several in the 2010 playoffs. Dryden, of course, in 71.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad