OT: Dish and Sling TV to drop Fox Sports AZ

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I figured it should be it's own thread or at least seen by forum 40.

Dish and Sling plan on dropping Fox Sports AZ. This means if you have this, you will lose access to the Coyotes. There is a chance to put in a petition to have one of these two companies from dropping it by visiting:

www.keepmyhometeams.com

I dropped Sling a while back for YouTube TV, which I then dropped for Hulu live so it plays friendlier across all of my devices. If you need any recommendations, I say go with Hulu. The interface gets a little annoying but you do get used to it. I've had YouTube TV show me motocross instead of the Coyotes game. It's only happened once, but it did happen.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I haven't paid for TV since like 2009. All I pay Cox for is my internet. You can find anything, including HD hockey streams on the net for free. Hell I used the site I use to watch Yotes games when I was on vacation over seas.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
NHL.tv + unblock us is the way to go. All the hockey you can cram in. It even lets you watch nationally televised games.

Reactions: ck26

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I haven't paid for TV since like 2009. All I pay Cox for is my internet. You can find anything, including HD hockey streams on the net for free. Hell I used the site I use to watch Yotes games when I was on vacation over seas.

I have not cut the cord because you can't get live news/sports (legally) with just internet service. 90% of what I watch falls into one of those categories.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'd recommend avoiding the "shady" sites. Since I'm outside of AZ, the NHL package works for me (I only follow Coyotes Hockey for sports). Sling gets me the early playoffs, so that has worked for me. The only games I'm blacked out on are versus the Flyers, Penguins, and Capitals, but plenty of sports bars to hit for those.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have not cut the cord because you can't get live news/sports (legally) with just internet service. 90% of what I watch falls into one of those categories.
The problem with streams is the quality and reliability is a total crap shoot!

It's all part of a negotiation. Eventually, they will agree to terms.
Tell that to DirecTV and the Pac12 Network.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I haven't missed a single thing with YouTubeTV, so I'm all good. Highly recommended.
No NHL Network though, right? I was going to switch to YTTV but after I canceled DTV I called Cox (my internet provider) based on a tip that I could get a reduced internet rate by signing up for a basic TV plan that I don’t care about. Cox ended up being able to give me FSN-AZ, NBC-SN, and NHL-N with whole home DVR for something like $5 more a month than YTTV’s new increased rate.

I pay for HBONow and Netflix. With my Prime membership and the free channels I get with the Roku, I really have all of my non-hockey needs covered. Don’t really care about any of that stuff anyway.

So it really came down to whether I wanted to pay Cox $5 extra for NHL-N and the ability to have customer service. That’s what I went with. $60/yr for some CHL games, the Hlinka Cup, the Summer Showcase, the U18s the U20s, some CHL playoff games, the Memorial Cup all the draft content and finally the draft itself.

Last edited:

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I was a huge fan of YTTV until the price increase. Now, unless you take advantage of their multiple users feature to cover more than one household, it's basically cable prices.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Sadly cable cutting isn't going to matter in the end. Eventually they'll fracture into so many services that you'd need to subscribe to 20 different ones to cover the most popular options. Then someone will come along, bundle all of those subscriptions into one single subscription and at a relatively cheaper cost than having them all individually. Who knows what they'll call the service though, something catchy...like I don't know....cable.

Reactions: CC96 and MIG

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sadly cable cutting isn't going to matter in the end. Eventually they'll fracture into so many services that you'd need to subscribe to 20 different ones to cover the most popular options. Then someone will come along, bundle all of those subscriptions into one single subscription and at a relatively cheaper cost than having them all individually. Who knows what they'll call the service though, something catchy...like I don't know....cable.

That's because streaming services require an internet carrier with the necessary bandwidth....... like cable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->