Online Series: Disenchantment (Netflix - Matt Groening)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Oh yeah but I totally forgot to mention the handsome prince she is supposed to marry is the boss from the IT Crowd Matt Berry. So this show is worth it just for him.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gets better after episode 5. I particularly enjoyed 7.

Definitely finds its footing along the way but needs more effort to get even close to the heights of Futurama.

I hope they give a second season a try despite the poor reviews. There's potential here for sure.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
First season had like... 5 good episodes. Pilot was good, Moon one was good, I, Roommate was good.

I'm saying all of this, and then I looked back over the episode list. I withdraw my statement. First season really doesn't have a weak episode now that I look at it. Don't know why my memory is so spotty.
Well it didn't have bad episodes but still, I don't think it hits its stride till season 2 and 3. It took a while for the show to find its main stay voice and pace.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Definitely finds its footing along the way but needs more effort to get even close to the heights of Futurama.

I hope they give a second season a try despite the poor reviews. There's potential here for sure.

The plan was to do 20 episodes, 10 in part 1 and then 10 in part 2, so maybe next summer they will put up the 2nd part.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The plan was to do 20 episodes, 10 in part 1 and then 10 in part 2, so maybe next summer they will put up the 2nd part.
Especially after the Finale it would be pretty ridiculous to cancel the whole thing with so many hanging threads.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Definitely a show that got stronger as it went on. First few episodes were weak overall (but most had a few good bits).

It’s no Bojack (which I’d argue is the best show on TV right now) but it’s OK. We’ll see if it gets better.

This is the type of show that even if it gets bad reviews will have big time viewers who watch most of the show. I think it gets renewed.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Definitely a show that got stronger as it went on. First few episodes were weak overall (but most had a few good bits).

It’s no Bojack (which I’d argue is the best show on TV right now) but it’s OK. We’ll see if it gets better.

This is the type of show that even if it gets bad reviews will have big time viewers who watch most of the show. I think it gets renewed.
The odd thing is I didn't find Bojack even remotely funny.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The odd thing is I didn't find Bojack even remotely funny.

You have to keep going with it. First time I watched it, I didn't like it. You realize it's brilliance after watching it more.

Also, if you go in expecting it to be a Family Guy or Futurama animated-sitcom you're going to be wildly disappointed. It's black comedy-drama. There's nothing like it on TV.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You have to keep going with it. First time I watched it, I didn't like it. You realize it's brilliance after watching it more.

Also, if you go in expecting it to be a Family Guy or Futurama animated-sitcom you're going to be wildly disappointed. It's black comedy-drama. There's nothing like it on TV.
I'm all for black comedy but I think there's a significant difference between something like Bojack and something like Barry for my tastes.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm all for black comedy but I think there's a significant difference between something like Bojack and something like Barry for my tastes.

Just because something's in the same genre doesn't mean they have to resemble each other at all. Barry is a dark comedy that deals with crime, murder, etc. Bojack is a dark comedy that deals with mental illness, drug use, sexuality, etc. Bojack isn't for everyone (though I think many who don't like it would if they kept watching and got to know the characters), but it's still great.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's funnier to me than critical darlings like Adventure Time and Rick and Morty have ever been.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Or just skip to the episode with the Funky Spiderman.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm almost finished it, it's an decent show to watch but it's not very funny at all. Just finished the 7th episode, by far the best one.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Finished watching Disenchantment the other day, thought it was O.K.

Like others have said, I found it got better as it went on, but it was more of a 'watch while I look at my phone' type of show to me for the most part. I'll watch more if they come out because so much happens in the last couple episodes that I want to see where it goes, so I'll give it another chance to impress. I do like how the show is animated, looks great visually IMO and I'm a fan of Luci.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
The problem with this show is it spends literally 2/3rds of its season following a drunken dbag and her two stupid friends as they well... act stupid and dbagish to everyone with nothing to show for it until Bean whines to daddy for a job and BOOM things get interesting.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ahh...Bojack Horseman. It's always weird when an animated series goes from edgy parody of Hollywood tropes to soul-crushing ordeal that makes you regret ever learning how to turn on a tv.

Reactions: Fripp

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I think the story is interesting but yeah most of the jokes miss. Feels like they’re trying too hard half the time. I just have the finale left but the most recent episode was the best yet for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->