Online Series: Disenchantment (Netflix - Matt Groening)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched the 1st episode, it was terrible but will watch it all even if it stinks cause I feel like I owe it to Matt Groening since I am a huge Simpsons and Futurama fan. I watched the Simpsons when they were on the Tracey Ullman show.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I think it's just OK, still finding its pacing.

Bean is a cross between Leela/Amy, Lucy is a Bender replacement, Elfo is Fry.

Humorous, but not laugh out loud funny, much like Futurama IMO. And I own the Futrama complete series. But compared to most of Netflix's original content, it's a freaking masterpiece.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Saw the first two episodes. Very, very meh so far. Not sure if I'll keep up with it. The most amusing part of it was picking out the Futurama voices. The King's a slightly different version of the generic NYC street slob, one guy was a slightly different Scruffy, Elfo was...very familiar...etc.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Watched the whole thing the last couple days and I think it was amazing. I really don't understand the lack of enthusiasm/lukewarm reviews for the show.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
after binge watching all 10 episodes in a train ride here is my review

1) I think it was going to be a lot darker--with the two demon watchers causing more trouble--then they vanished--it was like the writing forgot about them all together
2) Continuity: YEs I realize it is a cartoon but I think they did not have a clear idea in mind when writing the show and so there are parts of the episodes that are just plot filler where little or no thought went into some of the writing
3) I would have preferred a futurama reboot or something--like sending Lela and Fry back in time and leaving them there
4) Like all Groenings stuff it is fun finding Easter eggs
5) The end of the 10 episode-where they got on the boat seemed to just get dropped in
6) For someone who is supposed to be a demon and part of a larger evil plan(going back to the two demons who sort of just vanished) he sure does not do a lot of evil stuff compared to the nice or good stuff he does---after all he was sent on a mission there to be evil

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Netflix is all about mediocrity nowadays and this fits right in. Hopefully they find a more consistent quality level for future seasons.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Eh, didn't keep my attention.

jumped around too much and did no stay focused on what looked like the original plan

With Netflix they guys making the product need to understand they have more flexibility in what they do in their story telling and while you can see the frame work of the story--you can clear see they did not think to much about some of fill in plot

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
what? No it didn't

First season had like... 5 good episodes. Pilot was good, Moon one was good, I, Roommate was good.

I'm saying all of this, and then I looked back over the episode list. I withdraw my statement. First season really doesn't have a weak episode now that I look at it. Don't know why my memory is so spotty.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
First season had like... 5 good episodes. Pilot was good, Moon one was good, I, Roommate was good.

I'm saying all of this, and then I looked back over the episode list. I withdraw my statement. First season really doesn't have a weak episode now that I look at it. Don't know why my memory is so spotty.
It sure didn't seem like it was appreciated at the time. Maybe it took some time for fans to grow into the characters before they could go back and appreciate them? And maybe the same could be happening with this show?

My memory could be bad too, and I haven't watched this yet, but I'm trying to hold out hope.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've only seen 3 or 4 episodes so far but it's pretty terrible. I would easily take the worst episode from Season 1 of Futurama over any of the episodes i've seen so far but I'm a huge fan of Futurama.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I tried to binge the show a couple nights in a row. Kept falling asleep after about 1 episode. Just... not that funny? I dunno, I liked Futurama and I loved the Simpsons. This just seems too bland for me or just not able to keep my attention to get to the good stuff.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm only 2 episodes in, but I think it's fine.

I think so too. I am only 1 episode in, but I liked it. I definitely had a couple of chuckles. I will be surprised if it ever lives up to something as good as Futurama, which I love, but I am going to keep watching.

I don't know its entirely possible my expectations were lower than most, but I like the setting and the story so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->