Online Series: Disenchantment (Netflix - Matt Groening)

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
:handclap:
http://deadline.com/2017/07/disench...n-nat-faxon-eric-andre-voice-cast-1202135218/
Disenchantment, Matt Groening’s long-gestating adult animated comedy fantasy series for Netflix, is moving forward with an official 20-episode order. The series from The Simpsons creator and Futurama co-creator will premiere in 2018, with the 20 episodes airing over two seasons of 10 episodes each.

Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon and Eric Andre headline the voice cast of Disenchantment. Set in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, the series will follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young princess Bean (Jacobson), her feisty elf companion Elfo (Faxon), and her personal demon Luci (Andre). Along the way, the oddball trio will encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools. Also voicing characters are John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman, Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding and Lucy Montgomery.

Hopefully they can pump them out quickly. I can't remember a time when I found myself waiting for the new Simpsons or Futurama.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Groening isn't very good, from what I recall he only ever worked on the first 2-3 seasons of the Simpsons and the rest is just a name he doesn't write anything himself.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Matt Groening and George Lucas are alike in a thousand different ways.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Matt Groening and George Lucas are alike in a thousand different ways.

This is what I was going to say. Gene Roddenberry too. The success of the Simpsons and Futurama belong to people like David Mirken, Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Mike Reiss, John Swartzwelder, David Cohen, Eric Kaplan, Patric Verrone, and Ken Keeler. Groening is an idea-man, but his influence stops at the high-level stuff rather than all the nuts and bolts. He provides the platform for a successful show, but it's all the other stuff that carries it to success.

Groening only ever wrote 4 episodes of the Simpsons, which was really more 3 episodes because one of which was him coming up with the concept for 22 Short Films About Springfield. And to be honest, none of the 3 episodes that Groening wrote were all that great.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon and Eric Andre headline the voice cast of Disenchantment. Set in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, the series will follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young princess Bean (Jacobson), her feisty elf companion Elfo (Faxon), and her personal demon Luci (Andre). Along the way, the oddball trio will encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools. Also voicing characters are John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman, Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding and Lucy Montgomery.

Reactions: McRpro and G F O P

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean if it can get the first 6 seasons of Futurama back on Netflix and maybe get production going on new episodes, I'm all for it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This is what I was going to say. Gene Roddenberry too. The success of the Simpsons and Futurama belong to people like David Mirken, Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Mike Reiss, John Swartzwelder, David Cohen, Eric Kaplan, Patric Verrone, and Ken Keeler. Groening is an idea-man, but his influence stops at the high-level stuff rather than all the nuts and bolts. He provides the platform for a successful show, but it's all the other stuff that carries it to success.

Groening only ever wrote 4 episodes of the Simpsons, which was really more 3 episodes because one of which was him coming up with the concept for 22 Short Films About Springfield. And to be honest, none of the 3 episodes that Groening wrote were all that great.

Well, that and this:

1200px-Matt_Groening_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

CZKAjw0WIAAY6G5.jpg

They even wear the same glasses FFS!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

The positive about Groening is that he doesn't strong-arm his writing staffs much, at least. More often than not he lets the talented showrunners and writers do their thing with the platform he helps provide, and there's something to be said about that. The downside is he also doesn't reel things in once sharks start being jumped.

There's plenty of creators in this town that do not like others steering the direction of 'their' creation...if Groening was that way The Simpsons never would have become The Simpsons, Futurama would never have existed, this wouldn't exist, and he'd be a semi-heralded cartoonist instead of one of the richest people in the industry. So he deserves some credit for that, even if the greatness of his creations has more to do with others than himself.

Selfishly I kinda wish the subject matter was more in my wheelhouse...writing for a Groening show has been my dream since I was a kid, but fantasy was never something I had much tolerance for...then again I also never much cared for Sci-Fi and Futurama is one of my 5 favorite shows ever, so...I have faith. Netflix tends to be hands-off, as is Groening, so this show really will be as good (or bad) as its writing staff (and budget) lets it be.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Groening isn't very good, from what I recall he only ever worked on the first 2-3 seasons of the Simpsons and the rest is just a name he doesn't write anything himself.

And yet, he's been the catalyst for 2 of the best animated series ever.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
And yet, he's been the catalyst for 2 of the best animated series ever.

Meh, came up with an idea of a dysfunctional family..as a cartoon what a visionary.

Honestly, I would take a Seth Macfarlane over MG to be honest just so much more talented... not saying in anyway however that say Family Guy > The Simpsons btw.. well prime Simpsons anyway

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Meh, came up with an idea of a dysfunctional family..as a cartoon what a visionary.

It's hard to be sarcastic about something that really wasn't done before what he created.

Yeah external circumstances (namely Fox being in desperate need of content early on) and other people helped The Simpsons become what we all know and love, but prime time animation wasn't really a thing until The Simpsons. The platform he created gave berth to a brand of creativity and humor that wasn't really possible in traditional sitcoms before and helped prove that animation didn't have to be for children.

Plus Futurama proved that he wasn't a one note pony, even if the pilot was the only episode of that show he has a writing credit on. That pilot was also one of my favorite pilots ever (and set the stage for stories that wouldn't be paid off for years at that), so that's worth something right there.

Reactions: stingo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Honestly, I would take a Seth Macfarlane over MG to be honest just so much more talented... not saying in anyway however that say Family Guy > The Simpsons btw.. well prime Simpsons anyway

Actually, yeah. And the same with the premise for Futurama.

Seth McFarlane is a hack who's never created anything noteworthy. Animation's Chuck Lorre.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's hard to be sarcastic about something that really wasn't done before what he created.

Yeah external circumstances (namely Fox being in desperate need of content early on) and other people helped The Simpsons become what we all know and love, but prime time animation wasn't really a thing until The Simpsons. The platform he created gave berth to a brand of creativity and humor that wasn't really possible in traditional sitcoms before and helped prove that animation didn't have to be for children.

Plus Futurama proved that he wasn't a one note pony, even if the pilot was the only episode of that show he has a writing credit on. That pilot was also one of my favorite pilots ever (and set the stage for stories that wouldn't be paid off for years at that), so that's worth something right there.

It was sorta done before the Simpsons came around. He just took it to the next level. The Flintstones were dysfunctional. So were the Honeymooners.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Actually, yeah. And the same with the premise for Futurama.

Seth McFarlane is a hack who's never created anything noteworthy. Animation's Chuck Lorre.

Except you know the whole dysfunctional family thing is pretty much every single sitcom lol.

And Seth Mcfarlane has been the catalyst and lifeblood of 2 of the greatest animated shows of all time to go along with his success in movies now and it looks like soon enough even more success in live action tv.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Except you know the whole dysfunctional family thing is pretty much every single sitcom lol.

And Seth Mcfarlane has been the catalyst and lifeblood of 2 of the greatest animated shows of all time to go along with his success in movies now and it looks like soon enough even more success in live action tv.

McFarlane's entire output is garbage IMO, so we're not gonna find any common ground here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->