NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
How is the ice tilt? Spefically would like to know about how it affects franchise mode games - I refuse to play a game where I put up 50 shots to get 2 or 3 goals whereas the AI only needs 15 shots. I don't need a game that feels the need to make my goalie swiss cheese to "compensate" for my being better than the AI. I know it happens in hockey from time to time, but in NHL games, it happens A LOT.

Long story short - are games against the AI balanced and realistic? Or are they like EA hockey games of previous years gone by.

Reactions: Hypernova

airqualf

Jan 5, 2014
Oberhausen
How is the ice tilt? Spefically would like to know about how it affects franchise mode games - I refuse to play a game where I put up 50 shots to get 2 or 3 goals whereas the AI only needs 15 shots. I don't need a game that feels the need to make my goalie swiss cheese to "compensate" for my being better than the AI. I know it happens in hockey from time to time, but in NHL games, it happens A LOT.

Long story short - are games against the AI balanced and realistic? Or are they like EA hockey games of previous years gone by.

i have never played a game where i had stats like this against the ai. found my perfect sliders for this game

Attachments

• IMG-20181011-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20181011-WA0008.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

I find starting on All-Star the AI starts to cheese on default settings. With sliders though you can probably make something half decent.

Reactions: Deku

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Small thing to complain about but I wish they would add all or at least close to every jersey every team had. They add stupid crap every year like mascots or playoff beards like it's a big feature so why not this.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
Small thing to complain about but I wish they would add all or at least close to every jersey every team had. They add stupid crap every year like mascots or playoff beards like it's a big feature so why not this.

It's not up to EA whether or not they can include a jersey. It's up to whoever owns the rights to them.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Call me minority but I care more about the later than the former. They used to have more vintage jerseys and they were big and bulky. I don’t really care as long as they have up to date/current jerseys

boltsy

Jun 22, 2017
Call me minority but I care more about the later than the former. They used to have more vintage jerseys and they were big and bulky. I don’t really care as long as they have up to date/current jerseys
It's so extremely annoying that you have to wait almost 2 months for up to date jerseys. If EA would be transparent and inform the customers about a date when the next content update will be available, they would at least take away a big part of frustration for me.

unassisted

Oct 7, 2007
Any PS4 EASHL clubs accepting new members?
My friend and I have played for the same D1 club forever on Xbox but we both switched to PS4 this year.
Looking for a team that plays more sim with cycling and plays after 7 PST/10 EST.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not a huge deal, but it's so odd to me that they still didn't add the 3 stars back in, or the ability to line match, and now you don't even get the little clip about some player or the team before they go into the goalie matchup as the games are starting. The first two things were in way older versions of the game, kind of a head scratcher why they were taken out in the first place and still aren't back.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
What is the NHL19 EASHL Playoffs algorithm exactly? In the last few years, it was just once a month, which I liked, by the way. This year it is every day? every 3 days? every week?

Please let me know, thanks.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone else have a problem when playing the computer that the penalties the AI takes just don't count? I've had several times where my guy will be carrying the puck, get tripped into the stupid animation on his knees, lose the puck, computer picks it up and skates away with no call. I've also had blatant slashes where my guy loses possession and shakes his hand like a slashing call is coming, but they never call it. This has happened at least a dozen times to me. I'd be fine if it was an actual mechanic that the refs occasionally miss a call or something, but that's not the case. Any time I'm playing online either in HUT or in EASHL every single time the call is made. Just not against the computer for some reason. Am I the only one having this issue?

mhart1

Maniac Caniac
Oct 8, 2013
Pori
Anyone else have a problem when playing the computer that the penalties the AI takes just don't count? I've had several times where my guy will be carrying the puck, get tripped into the stupid animation on his knees, lose the puck, computer picks it up and skates away with no call. I've also had blatant slashes where my guy loses possession and shakes his hand like a slashing call is coming, but they never call it. This has happened at least a dozen times to me. I'd be fine if it was an actual mechanic that the refs occasionally miss a call or something, but that's not the case. Any time I'm playing online either in HUT or in EASHL every single time the call is made. Just not against the computer for some reason. Am I the only one having this issue?
I know for sure that in HUT the AI will not get called for penalties. It is known widely, that is actually one of the reasons HUT challenges don't have any powerplay objectives at all.

I don't know why they made it like that, almost everyday someone whines about this thing in official EA Forums.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
This game is awful, don't buy it. Typical fix what isn't broken crap by EA again. Last year 3v3 EASHL was one of the best modes I've ever played in a video game. Franchise mode has been worthless since 2013 since the AI/goalies/general player movement has been awful in recent years. So I primarily bought this game to enjoy 3v3 again.

I was a top 100 dman in competitive rating in 18 3v3. Now, the game is simply infuriating.
1) You can't poke check. Even if you wanna argue it was overpowered last year, making it so it's a trip 75% of the time isn't the answer. I actually adjusted fairly quick to this garbage, but that doesn't matter when the forwards take penalties anyway. Also, the idiots should realize a decent poke check effectiveness is needed to combat glitch or cheese goals every year. Could any of you imagine playing 08 or 09 (when the cut back, shoot opposite side became big) and not being able to poke check without drawing a trip all the time? You'd give up 20 goals a game.

2) Which means the game almost always turns into a penalty shot fest. That isn't fun. And penalty shots are going in at a FAR higher rate than last years. Just give me a penalty shot mode at this point

3) Creating your own players is cool, but I personally find the different colors disorienting in 3s, nevermind 6s. There was nothing wrong with the simple team selection last year for home vs away

4) Matchmaking is literally broken. Games take forever to start. You get kicked to lobby after each game. Constant 2v2 or 2v3. It's a joke. Last year's lockerroom was as perfect as it could be.

5) No announcers......alrighty

What the hell is wrong with Sean Ramjagsingh and the rest of the developers of this game? Ever year when they take a step forward in one aspect, they take several steps back in other areas of the game. It's gotta be intentional because at this point I refuse to believe it's simply just Sean's complete and utter incompetence.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I’ve never said this before about an NHL game, but this is unplayable.

All I play is offline franchise mode and every single game is 2-1 or 1-0. And before anyone says it’s because I suck at offense, I never had this problem with NHL 18. In the last game, scores would vary from game to game.

This year, I’m averaging less than 2 goals for and less than 2 goals against after 25 games, and I’ve adjusted the sliders to try to get more offense. Shot accuracy and power are both at 65, goaltending sliders are down to 45. Yet, every game is extremely low scoring. I can’t even get the CPU to score on me consistently even from high quality areas while playing intentionally bad defense.

Does anyone know of slider settings that balance out the offense/defense and allow for more varied scores? It seems that no matter what I do to the sliders both me and the CPU just can’t score. Defense and goaltending are way too overpowered in this game.
Isn't just you my man, but I disagree on what is causing the lack of scoring. In franchise (all-star or superstar) it feels like I lose almost every puck battle to the AI, no matter where it is on the ice. Then when I try to delicately take the puck from the AI (to avoid yet another trip), the AI loses control for a split second, regains control, loses control, regains. Again and again and again. Meanwhile your guys get routinely pick pocketed from behind by the AI.

Also, I'm having an absurd amount of difficulty dumping the puck in down low because 1) As mentioned, you can't win puck battles and 2) the AI dman seems to react too quickly to retrieve the puck behind the net. It's almost like madden where occasionally on all-madden difficulty you will press a button to throw to a receiver and the defender has already jumped the route before the QB has even thrown the ball. Like the AI reacts before puck release based on the button input received.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
How do you win puck battles in this game? Meaning, situations where the puck isn't connected to any player but you and an opposing player are near it? I can't stick lift for leverage... because penalties. I can't poke check the puck in a favorable direction... because penalties. I can't play the body since more often than not hits don't land flush (even if it looks like it should) and put me out of position... and I know holding down the body check stick can make you skate over the puck. Is there a button I'm supposed to actually press to pick up the puck or something? Seems like a lot of my tools have been patched/regressed out.

If I play as the Sabres, I typically lose these situations (and I'm in these situations a lot since the Sabres are slow in the game and a light breeze knocks the puck off of them). If I play as... lets say... the Caps, I typically win these situations. I think it's RNG with a splash of 'who has the higher rated guy' honestly... so, you know, anything but actual skill. And they're so damn important to win.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad