NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
They trashed EASHL after the last update. Sweeping your stick out doesn’t do anything anymore and the game is all 95% success rate stick lifts - from behind - and hitting like a freight train. The tiniest bumps make you lose possession, there’s no protecting the puck with your body anymore, and just getting skated into knocks you down with no interference or obstruction call. Skating is worse and less controllable too. One touch dekes are practically useless, but they were previously too. There’s a reason the population is always on low. You play the best if you skate as slow as possible so you can speed boost to loose pucks first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scherbs

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
NHL 19 is $26 on PSN for the next couple of days. I haven’t played since NHL 17. I’m an almost exclusively offline player, who most recently has taken a liking to playing franchise mode, building a team from nothing and simming the entire season/playoffs just to see what happens. I will probably end up playing be a pro mode as well.

My question for anyone willing to answer: should I bother buying it? Should i just wait until NHL 20 comes out? Are there any major improvements from 17-19 in the modes I mentioned, or is it essentially just roster changes?

Thanks in advance!

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
NHL 19 is $26 on PSN for the next couple of days. I haven’t played since NHL 17. I’m an almost exclusively offline player, who most recently has taken a liking to playing franchise mode, building a team from nothing and simming the entire season/playoffs just to see what happens. I will probably end up playing be a pro mode as well.

My question for anyone willing to answer: should I bother buying it? Should i just wait until NHL 20 comes out? Are there any major improvements from 17-19 in the modes I mentioned, or is it essentially just roster changes?

Thanks in advance!

I would wait for 20. Although Franchise Mode is significantly better in 19 than it was in 18 and 17. Be a Pro mode is identical.

If you see NHL 19 for less than 20 dollars I'd get it, otherwise you're better off waiting.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I would wait for 20. Although Franchise Mode is significantly better in 19 than it was in 18 and 17. Be a Pro mode is identical.

If you see NHL 19 for less than 20 dollars I'd get it, otherwise you're better off waiting.

Thank you!

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yeah I just played online versus for the first time in months and holy f*** this game is f***ing trash

My favorite part was when i passed to a wide open malkin for a breakaway and he just dies. he literally just stopped skating for no reason. didnt try to receive the pass, just pulled up and stood at the blueline.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah I just played online versus for the first time in months and holy **** this game is ****ing trash

My favorite part was when i passed to a wide open malkin for a breakaway and he just dies. he literally just stopped skating for no reason. didnt try to receive the pass, just pulled up and stood at the blueline.
Half hour games that end 1-0 or 2-1 are SOO fun don't you know

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Sep 19, 2008
Boggles the mind how every other game allows the community to modify rosters while in NHL you have to wait for EA's official [Insert Month] roster update to come out. Stupid.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Every game in online vs: spin in corner, spin in corner, spin in corner, spin in corner, spin in corner

Do people actually enjoy playing this way?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Every game in online vs: spin in corner, spin in corner, spin in corner, spin in corner, spin in corner

Do people actually enjoy playing this way?

The game caters to people who trap, mash the left stick down all game and never pass.

Every game is a 2-1 sleeper where I'm having AI ride my ass while some scrub sits on the blueline blocking entries or in the slot if you happen to make it in the zone.

You can't skate through any contact because of this stupid ping pong shit where the puck just bounces off twenty sticks and its straight rng. They've also reverted back to 19 where the second a skater is near your back you magically lose the puck.

Kids winning battles all over the ice when mashing the left stick and the puck just follows them.

Consequently there's no room on the ice for anything creative unless you feel like mashing L2 like all of these "pro" gamers.

I remember the days when technical skills (quick left stick, winning luck battles, sauce passes, playing with speed, etc.) were rewarded.

Bottom line is they've done two things in order to cater the scrubs and its destroyed the online scene: slowed gameplay down remarkably and made AI practically gods. Back in the day, if you let the AI defend closest to the puck you were absolutely f***ed. Nowadays that is THE winning strategy... put your AI at ultra aggressive and reap the reward as you sit in the middle of the ice not even attempting to defend the puck carrier. Does that cater to competitive gameplay? In my opinion that's an easy no.

The skillgap is gone guys. Look at the top gameplay in these vs tournaments -- it always leaves you wanting more. That's the state of the vs gameplay right now and its sad. Thanks to everyone who couldn't defend in vs and bitched about the AI, you've ruined it for the rest of us lol.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They trashed EASHL after the last update. Sweeping your stick out doesn’t do anything anymore and the game is all 95% success rate stick lifts - from behind - and hitting like a freight train. The tiniest bumps make you lose possession, there’s no protecting the puck with your body anymore, and just getting skated into knocks you down with no interference or obstruction call. Skating is worse and less controllable too. One touch dekes are practically useless, but they were previously too. There’s a reason the population is always on low. You play the best if you skate as slow as possible so you can speed boost to loose pucks first.
This is the key to playing a complete game. Body position, controlling gaps and not completely over-committing are the key to being successful in EASHL, because more often than not, the team that ultimately controls possession is the one who will come out on top, barring a goalie mismatch or a completely inept offense.

The thing that has ruined drop-ins is the fact that so many people have simply failed to evolve. Even good quality defenders lack the ability to support the offense, which leads to poor chemistry with the forwards.

The pokechecks even technically work if you're good at controlling your gaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nordiques1979

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
They need to fix the awards in franchise now. Yea I know that’s incredibly trivial, but seeing McDavid win the Selke 5 years in a row while being a minus player with 90 points is pretty damn absurd. The byng trophy even went to the same player 4+ times in a row.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just bought 19 on a whim. Is there a reason why the main menu is locked?

I'm assuming it's because it's still installing (according to the percentage in the corner).

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Just bought 19 on a whim. Is there a reason why the main menu is locked?

I'm assuming it's because it's still installing (according to the percentage in the corner).
yup. while downloading you can play a demo version of the game but the main features are all locked.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I used to love this franchise and play this online so much.... but now, it's just trash.

So much glitchy trash. Players are literally glitching back and forth in the most unrealistic ways because the sweaty try-hards have found the glitchiest ways to play this series.

I've played maybe 5 total HUT games online this year. It's not fun when it's just people who glitch. EASHL is turning out to be that way as well. What fun comes from that?

EA Won't do anything about it, sadly. They just want that $$$

This shit is worse than Madden when it hit the PS3 / 360....

Reactions: Roman Fell

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Is it just me or game difficulty is very high when you switch from semi-pro to pro. At pro, AI seems controling the puck like Soviets from 80-s, intercepting your every pass, blocking every shot you are attempting to shoot ?!

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Is it just me or game difficulty is very high when you switch from semi-pro to pro. At pro, AI seems controling the puck like Soviets from 80-s, intercepting your every pass, blocking every shot you are attempting to shoot ?!
Not trying to be a jerk, but that's just you struggling with the learning curve of a higher difficulty.

Reactions: Keenan87

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Quick question, in Playoffs mode, why can't I pick one team and not all of them? The most irritating thing is that you can't change teams lineups except just after picked up the jerseys and right before start the game! Not possible to edit your player's gear either.

Playoffs mode is a total disgrace seriously!?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Needs one Online Versus win to achieve self set goal of >600 player rating.

Proceeds to lose two games in a row, where the opposing teams win on 5 shots and 7 shots respectively... where I tripled their possession time and shot totals. Quality stuff too, not just whipping shots every time I get into the zone.

I know it's silly, but there's gotta be something coded in this game against me personally. :ha: Just one of those mornings.

if( networkid == "Dreakon13" && (( shots > opposingshots*3) || (possession > opposingpossession*3)) )
for( i = 0; i < howmuchEAlovestheotherguy; i++ )
goaltending--;

I've been working too much.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Is anyone able to connect to NHL 19’s online gameplay? Seems like all EA games are down, but just wondering if anyone has been able to connect today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad