Speculation: Discussing the Next GM (Part 2)

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Right now, Habs are in the Playoffs.... If they would had played .500 in the last 10 games, they would had a better grip on the second position overall in their division.

And right now we're sitting outside a playoff spot right on pace for another 9th place finish.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
But, but, if we can make da playoff, look at da Blues, anyting can appen........

8 yrs in..............no way he deserves a 9th.
Yes.exactly that is what the idiot Bergevin believes.....just get to the playoffs....Blues picked a direction they were willing to mortgage a big part of their future to acquire Schenn and ROR.

Reactions: Edgy

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
If the Canadiens do decide to move in a different direction in regards to a GM and they do not have a completely open hiring process for the job, I honestly believe I'll give up on the team after 42 years. I don't care if the GM is English, Asian, Russian, Alien or French, just as long as all the top candidates are considered, not just French candidates.

If it continues where only French candidates are considered, the team is publicly announcing they are not putting the best interests of the team forward in regards to building a winning franchise and completely disrespecting the fan base. who shell out hard earned money to support a team that isn't doing everything possible to win games.

If the province or city does not contribute to the organization for promoting cultural identity then a private business shouldn't be held to ransom. I am not a Quebecer though I lived there during high school, and I do not speak French though not totally ignorant, and am by blood half French. I love the autre feeling of the Club de Hockey Canadien but it defeats the purpose if the culturally pure team is a bit of a joke professionally. Just my thoughts today...

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Actually it's not looking good for Poehling and Brook. They are young and there's no reason to panic but it's rare to see top players in the making struggling so much in the AHL. Specially Poehling he'll be 21 soon he should do better. I lowered my exception for both player. If they become top players i'll be happy but i'm not expecting it at this point.
It’s the same old song and dance with this franchise. Fans get their hopes up and 2-3 years later they fall off the face of the earth

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The plan has been spelled out repeatedly in no uncertain terms. Now, you have every right to dislike the plan, but asking what's the plan just shows that you're not willing to listen when it's described to you.

you’re too funny. He could say anything and you’ll tell me it’s a plan. A reset isn’t a plan. Keeping Weber and Price without bringing in more 1st round picks isn’t a plan. Playing to maybe make the playoff isn’t a plan. Enjoy this shit show, you deserve to be entertained by this mediocrity

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
If the Canadiens do decide to move in a different direction in regards to a GM and they do not have a completely open hiring process for the job, I honestly believe I'll give up on the team after 42 years. I don't care if the GM is English, Asian, Russian, Alien or French, just as long as all the top candidates are considered, not just French candidates.

If it continues where only French candidates are considered, the team is publicly announcing they are not putting the best interests of the team forward in regards to building a winning franchise and completely disrespecting the fan base. who shell out hard earned money to support a team that isn't doing everything possible to win games.
That will never come to pass, Molson was quick to apologize for the hiring of a non-French speaking coach last time and both him and Gauthier were quick to emphasize that French is an absolute requirement moving forward. So it's hard to imagine a GM not able to speak French being acceptable either.

Molson is ultimately a business man with more at stake than the Habs, so he will not risk a Cunneyworth 2.0 situation that is bound to be worse because despite knowing that apparently it is not acceptable for the market the team is in and represents to have a non-French speaking coach/GM, he still went back on his word and hired one.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

You give way too much considerations to the qualifications of a GM candidate . Nothing can guaranty you what kind of job he will do . What makes a candidate better than another one, isn't something that clear . And the marge between candidates is really thin .

The actual GMs are the ones that were fired yesterday , or a guess a team takes on a newbie . The ones that were genius few seasons ago are now the ones with a team at the bottom of the league . There are a lot of things that could interfered that you can't control all the time ; draft lottery, injuries, divorce, bad relationship , drugs , alcoholism ...

More decision are more guesses than anything else ; draft , player desire to work , health

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I love it! :laugh:

We’re going to have to use this as a slogan if things don’t change drastically soon.

Things haven't changed in 8 years. It seems some fans want to propagate the idea that this team will magically get better without actually doing anything different. Mediocrity will never die!

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
3iugsg.jpg

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The plan has been spelled out repeatedly in no uncertain terms. Now, you have every right to dislike the plan, but asking what's the plan just shows that you're not willing to listen when it's described to you.

lol. Delusional.

MB deliberately used an uncertain term - reset. Nobody knew exactly what he meant by this. Further, he said he’d wait and see how the team was doing this season before making big decisions. In other words, he admitted the plan was uncertain.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
lol. Delusional.

MB deliberately used an uncertain term - reset. Nobody knew exactly what he meant by this. Further, he said he’d wait and see how the team was doing this season before making big decisions. In other words, he admitted the plan was uncertain.
If there is ONE thing MB has been for 8 years, it's uncertain. Never seen a GM so non commited to anything, other than his self preservation that is...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If there is ONE thing MB has been for 8 years, it's uncertain. Never seen a GM so non commited to anything, other than his self preservation that is...

The only thing saving his job at year 8 is the youth movement and draft years from 17+. It's a lot of hope on young players reaching potential but we won't know for a few years yet how good they are.

What Bergevin does in the short span is the concern IMO. Does Molson have the guts to double down on the youth and trade some vets?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Funny I've been thinking about the discussions about the next GM. I think it'll sound like: He SUCKS! FIRE HIM! :laugh:

Just stop hiring ex-players, get some science inclined gentleman.

Reactions: Edgy

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
lol. Delusional.

Ive done the same thing............"See how its is performing this year before making any big decisions".

.................With my work truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
It’s the same old song and dance with this franchise. Fans get their hopes up and 2-3 years later they fall off the face of the earth
Because they have no competition,if Quebec was in Seattle's shoes Magoo would have no choice but to put a better product on the ice .right now he rakes in the profits while the fans suffer with a pathetic product.if he thinks the fans will suffer through another three to eight years of bozo's brand of hockey I think the fans will just lose interest .:boredom:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You give way too much considerations to the qualifications of a GM candidate . Nothing can guaranty you what kind of job he will do . What makes a candidate better than another one, isn't something that clear . And the marge between candidates is really thin .

The actual GMs are the ones that were fired yesterday , or a guess a team takes on a newbie . The ones that were genius few seasons ago are now the ones with a team at the bottom of the league . There are a lot of things that could interfered that you can't control all the time ; draft lottery, injuries, divorce, bad relationship , drugs , alcoholism ...

More decision are more guesses than anything else ; draft , player desire to work , health
If you believe being a successful GM is just a crapshoot, then the Habs should hire Eugenie Bouchard as GM. A brilliant marketing move that would appeal to the media.

However, if you believe hockey qualifications are the priority, then the best candidates are probably listed online in articles about the "Best GM candidates". You'll see some names appearing on multiple lists of future GMs, many of them assistant GMs, others former GMs. What these names have in common is a successful resume in the NHL, which is why they're considered the most qualified. Which would you prefer?

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
What have they hit on? Genuinely curious.

It's a trash site. Worse than Eklund imo

Like I said, not on trades but...

- They've nailed callups way before everybody else, sometimes a day before.
- They posted the 91.9 radio station issues and cutbacks days before everybody else.
- They were right on hirings way before others.

Just a few things on the top of my head.

Reactions: Tighthead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->