Speculation: Discussing the Next GM (Part 2)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I honestly cannot comprehend what makes Pierre McGuire an attractive choice to anyone for GM. He's just a creepy little dude with an idiot-savant skill for remembering prospects.

From Bergevin to him is like from Jerry Lewis to Chucky.

The comparison that someone made that I was responding to wasn't Bergevin versus McGuire it was bringing back Houle & Trembley would be better than McGuire.

I don't know the details of Houle's current knowledge of the new NHL, but at first glance I'd go with McGuire over Houle.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The comparison that someone made that I was responding to wasn't Bergevin versus McGuire it was bringing back Houle & Trembley would be better than McGuire.

I don't know the details of Houle's current knowledge of the new NHL, but at first glance I'd go with McGuire over Houle.

I doubt Houle ever would have been anything but a bust as a GM, but that's exactly why he was hired by Ronald Corey, who was the the guy that pushed all the buttons. Houle probably didn't make a single decision of his own whilst GM of the Habs. He was a puppet.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
This need to characterize Drouin as some kind of superstar after a couple of good months is astonishing to me (not suggesting you said it, I'm just piggybacking on your post). I'm not sure he'll ever be a legit 1st liner in the NHL.
Yes i know Drouin is no superstar until he proves it which he has not .....but he was off to a good start and Bergevin knows he's he is gone for 2 months with no help on the farm team,you would think if your goal is to make the playoffs you would at least make a trade for a rental like Toffoli...it is not what i would do i would rebuild but Bergevin believes if you make the playoffs anything can happen....just like he probably believes pigs can fly.

Reactions: groovejuice

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
PICK A f***ING DIRECTION AND GO WITH IT!

This has been my problem now for 5 years. The 14-15 playoffs ended in a disaster and now 5 years later nothing, but nothing has changed. He has no direction. He hasn't made the the hockey franchise better (The value of the franchise increased from 775M in 2013 to 1.3B as of December 2018). I come here and read people thinking hes doing a good job and I can't fathom what measuring stick they use to evaluate this. What progress have you witnessed that proves he's doing a good job? Stock piling draft picks... Not really anything to be excited about. Better prospects? Ok he gets credit for putting the scouts where they are and have people in place to help him make decisions. But what do we know about the certainty that any of the prospect succeed? Absolutely no certainty. Winning trades? Irrelevant when the team doesn't improve.

So what's the PLAN?

The team is competing, resetting or rebuilding? Mediocrity is where the Habs will sit with a GM who has no vision.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The plan has been spelled out repeatedly in no uncertain terms. Now, you have every right to dislike the plan, but asking what's the plan just shows that you're not willing to listen when it's described to you.
He finally 5 yrs later told the world we are doing a reset..........which has bewen a joke. This is not a direction...it has us drafting in the middle. This clown has done an awful awful job. 8 years of waving in the wind...telling people what they want to hear is hardly a direction. His actions speak louder than his words. He is in over his head, and his self preservation is beyond obvious.

Lower the standards, is all that MB has done for the Habs.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If the Canadiens do decide to move in a different direction in regards to a GM and they do not have a completely open hiring process for the job, I honestly believe I'll give up on the team after 42 years. I don't care if the GM is English, Asian, Russian, Alien or French, just as long as all the top candidates are considered, not just French candidates.

If it continues where only French candidates are considered, the team is publicly announcing they are not putting the best interests of the team forward in regards to building a winning franchise and completely disrespecting the fan base. who shell out hard earned money to support a team that isn't doing everything possible to win games.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
The plan has been spelled out repeatedly in no uncertain terms. Now, you have every right to dislike the plan, but asking what's the plan just shows that you're not willing to listen when it's described to you.
So what is the plan....to continue to waste the prime years of Price and Weber....continue to miss the playoffs.....continue not to get high draft picks......not to move players when their value is the highest.....not to fill the holes on the roster....that is a heck of a plan.....try not to win in the present....and try not to win in the future....just try to compete for 6th playoff spot....who knows anything can happen if you get into the playoffs.....all other 30 GM's believe the exact opposite of Bergevin....so who's plan is better the GM's who win or Bergevin who has won jack squat.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Sure, rush another prospect to the NHL in an attempt to save your ass Bergy. Same song and dance for the last 7 years and every single one busts.

In the gazette they had "bye bye Bergevin" segment if Habs fail to miss the playoffs. Unfortunately, the french media no longer mentions Bergevin since habs have gone on that insane 2 out of 3 win streaks.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
So what is the plan....to continue to waste the prime years of Price and Weber....continue to miss the playoffs.....continue not to get high draft picks......not to move players when their value is the highest.....not to fill the holes on the roster....that is a heck of a plan.....try not to win in the present....and try not to win in the future....just try to compete for 6th playoff spot....who knows anything can happen if you get into the playoffs.....all other 30 GM's believe the exact opposite of Bergevin....so who's plan is better the GM's who win or Bergevin who has won jack squat.
The other plan is to trade Price and that's mission impossible, I think he is untradable at this point or the gm who will trade him would have to change identity and hide in a far country.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

There are posters here who would like McGuire to be Bergevin's replacement.

From one expendable with no experience to another.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In the middle of what should be a major crisis, i dont see anything near the level of passion and frustration that a situation like that usually brings in Habsland.. Frustration is turning into « je m’en foutisme », Molson should take that situation very seriously!!!
You dont see anything near the level of frustration..........because there is nothing wrong with this team or where they are. This is who they are. The bar has been lowered in Montreal like no where I have ever seen.

They have the expectations that a first year franchise team in 90s had..................every season is ground hog season.

Works like a charm for the GM to be able stay GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgy

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The other plan is to trade Price and that's mission impossible, I think he is untradable at this point or the gm who will trade him would have to change identity and hide in a far country.

Our star goalie likely can’t be traded for a meaningful return, and our upgraded backup just passed waivers.

Asset management.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Our star goalie likely can’t be traded for a meaningful return, and our upgraded backup just passed waivers.

Asset management.

If I were a team like Sa Jose, ai'd love to add Price. Great team, bo goalie. They're ready to make a cup run now. Getting a stud goalie would be a good way to do it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
PICK A ****ING DIRECTION AND GO WITH IT!

This has been my problem now for 5 years. The 14-15 playoffs ended in a disaster and now 5 years later nothing, but nothing has changed. He has no direction. He hasn't made the the hockey franchise better (The value of the franchise increased from 775M in 2013 to 1.3B as of December 2018). I come here and read people thinking hes doing a good job and I can't fathom what measuring stick they use to evaluate this. What progress have you witnessed that proves he's doing a good job? Stock piling draft picks... Not really anything to be excited about. Better prospects? Ok he gets credit for putting the scouts where they are and have people in place to help him make decisions. But what do we know about the certainty that any of the prospect succeed? Absolutely no certainty. Winning trades? Irrelevant when the team doesn't improve.

So what's the PLAN?

The team is competing, resetting or rebuilding? Mediocrity is where the Habs will sit with a GM who has no vision.

Actually it's not looking good for Poehling and Brook. They are young and there's no reason to panic but it's rare to see top players in the making struggling so much in the AHL. Specially Poehling he'll be 21 soon he should do better. I lowered my exception for both player. If they become top players i'll be happy but i'm not expecting it at this point.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Actually it's not looking good for Poehling and Brook. They are young and there's no reason to panic but it's rare to see top players in the making struggling so much in the AHL. Specially Poehling he'll be 21 soon he should do better. I lowered my exception for both player. If they become top players i'll be happy but i'm not expecting it at this point.

Yeah, it's sad, habs prospect pool's outlook took a hit this year. While Caufield and Suz are doing fine, Brook, Peel and KK have all taken a major hit in their value. Hopefuly all three turn it around before the end of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
If I were a team like Sa Jose, ai'd love to add Price. Great team, bo goalie. They're ready to make a cup run now. Getting a stud goalie would be a good way to do it.
Sharks would be a good fit for Price....the one problem is Martin Jones has a NTC where he lists just 3 teams he could be traded to...i don't think a team going nowhere like Montreal would be one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad